XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2016 -2019 XJ InControl Touch Pro 8” to 10.2” factory upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2020, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by cararescu
I'm going to see an XJ 2016 tomorrow and hopefully I will buy it, I would like to do the big screen aswell but is way to much for me. I'm in UK aswell, I m not sure if you have a garage but will you ever consider to do it for someone else? I'm more then happy to pay for everything.
How did the car viewing go? I don't do the hardware install (covid restrictions as I would need the car for a couple of days, but also because of the time it takes and I am fortunately super-busy at the moment) but I can do the coding on a weekend day. I'm happy to help with checking parts for you if you are lost there.

Originally Posted by D.D.D.
I have XJL 2018 Autobiograply, suppose it is 2016 MY, it have [8 inch + IMC + ISC] How to check if it is possible to swap 8" with 10" or just run some software update to get AppleCar Play?
(Also using the info from your later post)
I would highly recommend asking your dealer to update the ICTP software to the latest first as that is the most risk-prone part of the process and if it is in their workshop they pay if it goes wrong.

Once that's done you can complete the upgrade as detailed in this thread to replace the 8" with the 10.2" screen, and activate the smart phone pack which turns on support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It can't be enabled on the 8" screens (you can change the CCF, but the connectivity won't work).

You will probably need to replace the IPMB (camera module) with a different one, but with a UK spec car I can help with that. On your 2018 you may already have the correct hardware and software versions fitted and just need the recalibration flashing (you can check this from the label).

Originally Posted by zYx
I have an XJ from 2016 with a small screen and 360 cameras and ACC. ... [Can you do the programming] ... Also, do I really need a new control panel despite different mounting methods?
Yes I can do the programming (you'd need to come to me). If you know the other programming changes you want to make in advance I can do them at the same time. It takes from 3-6 hours depending on whether the IPMB can be reprogrammed, or whether a new one is swapped in its place.

Maybe member RTK can chime in here with better information, but I recall it was not just the upper mounting brackets that were different on the AC panel but also other mouldings on the trim to support the new rear/central bracket. If you can find any spec panel with the required bezel you can likely switch the front of the panel and internals over. It is possible to duplicate the P4U button as soft and hard buttons, or you can reprogram the hard button to be the power button.

Regarding video in motion inhibit, I can enable it for up to 6kmph but not more. Cambo might know of a different route to disable it entirely?

Last edited by xdave; 11-14-2020 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zYx (11-14-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 01:45 PM
zYx
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks xdave. Where abouts are you? Are you even in UK?
if you're too far I'll have to deal with programming but I'm struggling to find the correct tool for SDD to be 100% sure it'll do the job.

if you're not too far then it would be great if you could help!

Last edited by zYx; 11-14-2020 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:07 PM
zYx

Originally Posted by xdave

Regarding video in motion inhibit, I can enable it for up to 6kmph but not more. Cambo might know of a different route to disable it entirely?
Thanks Dave,

The video in motion is a nice to have option but no drama if it can't be done. Although I understand the rear screen work so potentially there's something that can be edited in CCF? :P

Old 11-15-2020, 05:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would highly recommend asking your dealer to update the ICTP software to the latest first as that is the most risk-prone part of the process and if it is in their workshop they pay if it goes wrong.
Once that's done you can complete the upgrade as detailed in this thread to replace the 8" with the 10.2" screen, and activate the smart phone pack which turns on support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It can't be enabled on the 8" screens (you can change the CCF, but the connectivity won't work).
You will probably need to replace the IPMB (camera module) with a different one, but with a UK spec car I can help with that. On your 2018 you may already have the correct hardware and software versions fitted and just need the recalibration flashing (you can check this from the label).
Thanks!

one question, if you know - after upgrade to 10.2: if I go to dealer for any future software/firmware update, will they understand that they need to keep existing bits for 10.2 screen and cameras, or they will just run an update by reading VIN configuration and revert all to 8" configuration?

Old 11-15-2020, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

Thif I go to dealer for any future software/firmware update, will they understand that they need to keep existing bits for 10.2 screen and cameras, or they will just run an update by reading VIN configuration and revert all to 8" configuration?
The software is the same for all variants, so it won't be affected.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did the car viewing go? I don't do the hardware install (covid restrictions as I would need the car for a couple of days, but also because of the time it takes and I am fortunately super-busy at the moment) but I can do the coding on a weekend day. I'm happy to help with checking parts for you if you are lost there.

(Also using the info from your later post)

Yes I can do the programming (you'd need to come to me). If you know the other programming changes you want to make in advance I can do them at the same time. It takes from 3-6 hours depending on whether the IPMB can be reprogrammed, or whether a new one is swapped in its place.

Maybe member RTK can chime in here with better information, but I recall it was not just the upper mounting brackets that were different on the AC panel but also other mouldings on the trim to support the new rear/central bracket. If you can find any spec panel with the required bezel you can likely switch the front of the panel and internals over. It is possible to duplicate the P4U button as soft and hard buttons, or you can reprogram the hard button to be the power button.

I would recommend to replace the AC panel. The mountings are different and it will not fit in the new central reinforcement bracket. You might be able to adapt it somehow sawing off top fixings etc but the risk is it will be wobbly and won't fit nicely with the new fascia.

Old 11-19-2020, 07:34 AM

The software is the same for all variants, so it won't be affected.
Thanks,
Dealer informed that they updated multimedia software, but car stuck there - they said that rear multimedia screens do not work now-
Waiting when they will solve the problem they made

Old 11-19-2020, 12:19 PM
zYx

Thanks,
Dealer informed that they updated multimedia software, but car stuck there - they said that rear multimedia screens do not work now-
What version did you have? I'm booked in for 27th Nov and the current version I'm running is 19A.

Originally Posted by Kofik
I would recommend to replace the AC panel. The mountings are different and it will not fit in the new central reinforcement bracket. You might be able to adapt it somehow sawing off top fixings etc but the risk is it will be wobbly and won't fit nicely with the new fascia.
But is it doable? I'm very creative if it's just the mountings I'm sure I can think of something

Old 11-19-2020, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks,
If they used SDD to update the ISC (slave controller), rather than forcing it via SOTA, then there is a risk of the ISC not being updated correctly. JLR fixed the upload process for the IMC (main controller) due to update failures, but not the ISC.

Old 11-20-2020, 03:00 AM

If they used SDD to update the ISC (slave controller), rather than forcing it via SOTA, then there is a risk of the ISC not being updated correctly. JLR fixed the upload process for the IMC (main controller) due to update failures, but not the ISC.
Dealer said that they need to change one hardware module, which they say do not work with latest software. Personally I doubt that it is true, as it really looks that they loaded something wrong to the module and killed it.
What the module they can refer?
Version uploaded is: 19C_19.46.4-458817, update says that this is latest version available.

I visited dealer with 3 questions:
- SIM card does nor work - says "reading SIM"
- update multimedia software with latest
- some irritating "clicking-cracling" on top buttons console

Car staid 2 days there, I've got it back with latest software but with non-working rear multimeadia, "reading SIM" and cracking console

Old 11-20-2020, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

Version uploaded is: 19C_19.46.4-458817, update says that this is latest version available.

I visited dealer with 3 questions:
- SIM card does nor work - says "reading SIM"
- update multimedia software with latest
- some irritating "clicking-cracling" on top buttons console
- The SIM card slot on 2016's is a widely reported fault. The UIP module (the thing you plug the SIM card into) needs to be replaced. JLR issued a revision to address it. (The problem was the contacts in the connector would misshapen over time and stop making contact with the SIM card.)
- 19C is the latest that can be loaded with SDD. They should then enable the car for SOTA if not already and push the latest software to it over the air.
- I don't recognise the last one. Are these the buttons at the top of the AC panel under the screen? Has the screen surround ever been removed? I ask because almost every time one or more of the little sprung clips will fall off down the back of the bracket and if it isn't retrieved and fixed back again those are prime candidates for a rattle.

Old 11-20-2020, 05:42 AM

- The SIM card slot on 2016's is a widely reported fault. The UIP module (the thing you plug the SIM card into) needs to be replaced. JLR issued a revision to address it. (The problem was the contacts in the connector would misshapen over time and stop making contact with the SIM card.)
- 19C is the latest that can be loaded with SDD. They should then enable the car for SOTA if not already and push the latest software to it over the air.
- I don't recognise the last one. Are these the buttons at the top of the AC panel under the screen? Has the screen surround ever been removed? I ask because almost every time one or more of the little sprung clips will fall off down the back of the bracket and if it isn't retrieved and fixed back again those are prime candidates for a rattle.
I have an option to check for an update over the air, but it says that I have latest version. Should I ask dealer to enable SOTA, or if I already have an option to check/update then it is enabled?
Buttons panel: mean those where SOS Emergency and roof control buttons

Another feature I've asked dealer is to check what is the problem with Jaguar incontroll remote app - it shows status, doors open/closed, but it does not allow to lock unlock remotely, says "requesting....." "request failed..." "an error occurred, please try again later".
No answer from dealer

Old 11-20-2020, 02:50 PM
zYx
Exclamation

Another feature I've asked dealer is to check what is the problem with Jaguar incontroll remote app - it shows status, doors open/closed, but it does not allow to lock unlock remotely, says "requesting....." "request failed..." "an error occurred, please try again later".
No answer from dealer
We're getting slightly off-topic here but my InControl app seems to work fine. It is slow sometimes, but it does work and it works over WiFi, I'm not using SIM at present. The car picks my home wifi and my work wifi when at work. I can start the car with a few seconds delay. I'm using an iPhone.

In relation to SOTA from what I've read here, you do need to tell them to enable it.

In terms of the non-working rear screens, it seems like a horror story. The last thing I want is the Jag dealer breaking something that is working for me... I have a visit scheduled for next friday.

Which dealer did you use?

Old 11-27-2020, 02:22 PM
zYx

I have an option to check for an update over the air, but it says that I have latest version. Should I ask dealer to enable SOTA, or if I already have an option to check/update then it is enabled?
Buttons panel: mean those where SOS Emergency and roof control buttons

No answer from dealer
Did you get it solved yet? Jaguar called me the other day to say they've enabled SOTA for me and pushed 20B version to my car. It took 2 days for the update to work. It got stuck in the downloading/installing loop for two days. Now I have S20B1_20.30.2-578440 installed...

Old 12-11-2020, 01:53 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Exclamation Could not modify CCF value.

Hi guys,
Not long ago, I collected all the necessary materials. I tried to modify CCF using SDD, today. First, I modified the contents of MultiCAN 467.

Before
<parameter id="466_466_000_003" name="PARAM_MCAN_FRNT_DISP_VARIANT" mask="0x0F" type="ENUM">
<category display="false" edit="ture" scope="base"/>
<parameter_title>
<tm>Front display variant</tm>
</parameter_title>
<select>
<option value="0x00" name="UNDEF">
<tm id="@NotSupported$I"/>
</option>
<option value="0x04" name="DIM">
<tm id="@J_SINGLE_VIEW"/>
</option>
<option value="0x05" name="OFF">
<tm id="@J_I_DUAL_VIEW"/>
</option>
<option value="0x0F" name="">
<tm id="@IDS_DMM_ERROR"/>
</option>
</select>
</parameter>
After
<parameter id="466_466_000_003" name="PARAM_MCAN_FRNT_DISP_VARIANT" mask="0x0F" type="ENUM">
<category display="true" edit="true" scope="base"/>
<parameter_title>
<tm>Front display variant</tm>
</parameter_title>
<select>
<option value="0x00" name="UNDEF">
<tm id="@NotSupported$I"/>
</option>
<option value="0x02" name="FRNT_8S">
<tm>8 inch front single</tm>
</option>
<option value="0x03" name="UNDEF">
<tm>8 inch front dual</tm>
</option>
<option value="0x04" name="DIM">
<tm>10 inch front single</tm>
</option>
<option value="0x05" name="OFF">
<tm>10 inch front dual</tm>
</option>
<option value="0x0F" name="">
<tm id="@IDS_DMM_ERROR"/>
</option>
</select>
</parameter>
By the way, It could not be changed in Service Functions. Please help me with what to do.

Best Regards.

>>>>>>>>>

I found how can I modify this value.

>>>

Fail ..

Anybody have a good idea? Please help me.

Thanks!

Last edited by gloriashield; 12-11-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:09 PM

@xdave Thanks for your words and yes I have bought it and probably was the best decision of my life. Is XJ 2016 facelift R-Sport, it has everything I wanted but just the small middle screen. I'm looking to replace it but I'd rather pay someone to do it. I see some stuff on aliexpress , how good do you think they are this android autos?

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (08-24-2021)
Old 12-15-2020, 04:26 AM
Veteran Member

After messaging gloriashield with some things to test, it appears the error shown above occurs everytime the CCF is reflashed regardless of the method used, so there may be an issue with the GWM or with the combination of SDD 160 and that version of the MongoosePro hardware interface. The BCM is the primary CCF source, with the GWM the backup, so the changes are taking effect in the car but there will remain a mismatch.

Cararescu, when it comes to the Android replacement screens I am unsure which, if any, work with the IMC based infotainment systems vs the older IAM ones. Given the replacements cost around $1000 USD each, and the hardware for the OEM 10.2" swap is available for much less, I doubt they have much demand for them for 2016+ XJs.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:55 AM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Anyone ever try one of these instead?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000352555407.html

It looks really clean and OEM

Old 12-15-2020, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Silvertonesx24,
Yes - there is a thread on fitting and using the Android systems to the pre-2016 MY XJs here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ll-xjs-210245/
You can also find some threads in the F-Type and XE sections, which although different vehicles appears to use almost identical Android hardware.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:49 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Guys,

If your Jag is a low-line model, CarPlay will not be available even if the display is replaced yet(I think). I changed the CCF's "Connect and View" value to "mySPIN CarPlay and Android Auto". However, there seems to be some other unknown 'parameters/values'. I always hope against hope. If anybody have a good idea, please share it.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2016 -2019 XJ InControl Touch Pro 8” to 10.2” factory upgrade