XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2016 LED headlamp retrofit to earlier cars (with full functionality)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 04:44 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

So, with much guidance from this thread I am preparing to upgrade the headlights on my 2015 XJ Portfolio for the LED beauties of the later MY models.
A test connecting harness is being made up for me (I'm doing the "method 2" as I don't have the ***** to break into the headlight units) and should be ready to try on Monday. If it works (the OP does say he didn't try it himself), the auto electrician I've employed is going to make up the proper harnesses and I shall fit the headlights next weekend. Photos will follow.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,416 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I think you will love it!
I did it on my 2014 XJR almost 2 years ago. Main problem was me following the direction correctly!!

Old 02-09-2020, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I think you will love it!
I did it on my 2014 XJR almost 2 years ago. Main problem was me following the direction correctly!!
Thanks.
The auto electrician who's making up the harnesses for me is going to miniturise the relays and diodes and put everything onto a pcb. The harness should then just be narrow loom with a bulge in the middle.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I am very happy about having done the conversion, the only issue I have is the beam position. Can the LED beam be adjusted?

Old 02-09-2020, 10:51 AM

Yes, there are two adjusters accessible from the top . . .

Old 02-09-2020, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. Glad you brought that up as that has been my only complaint.
After the change out it just did not seem the lights were working very well. I lived with it figuring my old eyes were the problem.
I finally set up some measurements on my garage wall and raised the lights and boy do they work great now!!

One other question? Do your automatic high beams work OK? Mine hardly ever even come on if left in automatic. Looking for some
adjustment or setting but have not found anything. On older Fords I could adjust the darkness that the lights would come on so I was looking for something similar.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My AutoHighBeams works fine after LED retrofit.
Sensor/camera area at the top of windshield must be clean...

Old 02-17-2020, 03:21 PM

The test loom has been made up and, well, tested:

The relays and diodes are now being miniaturised onto a PCB and I should have the connecting harnesses in a couple days. Then it's off with the bumper to swap the headlight units. Happy days!

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (02-24-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to see it!
Hope you post pictures of the harness as that will be a lot cleaner than my homemade version!

Be aware of the fuse problem too. I finally went with 10 amp fusses. It's been over a year since I had any blown fusses.

The following users liked this post:
OBC John (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Glad to see it!
Hope you post pictures of the harness as that will be a lot cleaner than my homemade version!

Be aware of the fuse problem too. I finally went with 10 amp fusses. It's been over a year since I had any blown fusses.
Thanks for the heads-up. I will swap that 5A for a 10A

Old 02-24-2020, 04:57 AM

OK, quick update: As posted previously, I had the test loom made up and it worked perfectly. The guy doing this for me has now made up the finished looms with an intermediate box containing a small PCB with the three relays and two diodes, Great job and looks very OEM.
But . . . when we connected and tested this one, everything works . . except the indicators. The other indicators on the car are flashing away so it must be an internal thing. We swapped the looms just to make sure it wasn't a miss-wire but same thing.
So, what's different between the test loom using the large relays and this finished loom? The micro-relays (rated exactly the same as the larger ones) and the circuit board itself. A resistance thing?
He is going to remake the test loom and compare the resistances but in the meantime, all ideas are welcome.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by OBC John
OSo, what's different between the test loom using the large relays and this finished loom? The micro-relays (rated exactly the same as the larger ones) and the circuit board itself. A resistance thing?
If the finished circuit is functionally the same, then resistance is a good bet. The fuse box that controls the lights monitors the current draw of each individual circuit to detect failed LEDs. It may be seeing too high/low current being supplied and is shutting down that circuit. Do you see double speed flashing of the other indicator lamps?

Old 02-24-2020, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
If the finished circuit is functionally the same, then resistance is a good bet. The fuse box that controls the lights monitors the current draw of each individual circuit to detect failed LEDs. It may be seeing too high/low current being supplied and is shutting down that circuit. Do you see double speed flashing of the other indicator lamps?
Yes, when we had both headlight units plugged in. (Normal flash speed when only one connected.). Also, I had to do a reset on the car (lock and unlock) + cycle the ignition to get the indicators in the original headlight units working again after they were reconnected.
My guy is going compare the resistances between the original 'test' loom and the 'finished' one. I'll post the outcome.
Thanks for your help, Dave.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member

That symptom is the CJB fuse box thinking an LED is out and is shutting down the circuit, so that narrows the cause down to the current being drawn by the relay. Just an educated guess but you may need to add a resistor in series with the coil - your auto electrician should be able to track it down.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
That symptom is the CJB fuse box thinking an LED is out and is shutting down the circuit, so that narrows the cause down to the current being drawn by the relay. Just an educated guess but you may need to add a resistor in series with the coil - your auto electrician should be able to track it down.
Again, Dave, thanks for your input.
Yes, even I (an electrical novice) noticed the built-in resistor across the coil on the large relays, not present in the micro relays. My electrician has already commented about introducing a resistor.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:54 PM

Yes, it was an issue with the resistance across the micro relays and so after adding the resistors the adaptors have been retested . .
These are the harnesses. I'm very pleased.

Should have the headlights swapped this weekend.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

If that works, I'd be interested in buying a pair so I can update my headlights.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:57 PM

You only need an auto-electrician to follow the perfect instructions given in this thread by xDave. My guy just knew how to miniaturise the relays onto a small PCB.

Old 02-27-2020, 06:37 AM
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by OBC John
Yes, it was an issue with the resistance across the micro relays and so after adding the resistors the adaptors have been retested . .
https://youtu.be/Id0uj1nnp4s
These are the harnesses. I'm very pleased.

Should have the headlights swapped this weekend.
Those harnesses look 100 times better than the ones that I made. 🤦🏿‍♂️ They look OEM. Glad that you were able to get it figured out!

Old 02-27-2020, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

That is a very smart job. Enjoy the new lights! If your electrician is prepared to make additional harnesses up there would be a market for these on eBay...

I would be interested to find out if you get the AFS warning lamp flashing when you start the car (to ignition) with the lights set to manual dipped on and the switch forward in the full beam position. If you could test that and report back to the thread that would be helpful for all.

Quick Reply: 2016 LED headlamp retrofit to earlier cars (with full functionality)