XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2016 XJ dashboard squeak

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2022, 05:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2016 XJ dashboard squeak

So I purchased a 2016 xj 3.0 sc with 50k miles only and a very good deal. The car runs and looks perfect
​​​​​​After driving it for the first time and going on the highway i heard a squeaking noise coming from the dashboard, it seems like it's really close to the center of the dashboard towards the front end near/under the windshield. The sound is unbearable, really loud and keeps going whenever the car vibrates or shakes. I tried to find out if any of the wood trim or plastics on the dashboard are loose or broken, everything seems sturdy. The issue is really annoying, even with loud music i could still hear it. It's driving me crazy!

Last edited by GGG; 07-15-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:18 AM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

That sounds familiar...
A bunch of us went through the same sort of agony over what could be what you're hearing.
It would be worth reading this post to see if it applies to your car:

Squeaky Squealing chirping under dashboard - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Since your 2016 is 6 or 7 years old now, these parts can be expected to wear.

Hopefully this can keep you from taking your dash out (not fun I hear)...

The following 2 users liked this post by 12jagmark:
DanielCh (06-25-2022), XJsss (06-24-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
That sounds familiar...
A bunch of us went through the same sort of agony over what could be what you're hearing.
It would be worth reading this post to see if it applies to your car:

Squeaky Squealing chirping under dashboard - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Since your 2016 is 6 or 7 years old now, these parts can be expected to wear.

Hopefully this can keep you from taking your dash out (not fun I hear)...
Thank you for the suggestion, i went through the thread.
As discussed there, I opened the hood and bounced the car and heard the squeaking noise coming from the front right suspension. It's crazy how i feel it coming from the inside of the car when it's clearly up front in the engine bay. Im suspecting that's the only source of the squeaking. Also, when going over a bump with the front wheels i hear a clunk sometimes.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

You're in the UAE, where heat prematurely destroys rubber parts.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
You're in the UAE, where heat prematurely destroys rubber parts.
Yep that is right.
I will get it checked out soon and see what needs to be replaced, my nerves will not tolerate that kind of noise while driving 😅 especially that sometimes i like to ride quietly without music. Any suggestions on what to look at in the front suspension?

Old 06-25-2022, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Look at my post #24 in the linked thread that has all the part numbers

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hboard-211036/

The following users liked this post:
DanielCh (06-26-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Look at my post #24 in the linked thread that has all the part numbers

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hboard-211036/
This link to the same thread I provided the link to earlier includes the parts that I identified in my reply (#11) of the same thread (the same one I referenced earlier), plus nuts bolts & washers, which can be reused.

Last edited by 12jagmark; 06-25-2022 at 04:10 PM.
DanielCh (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Just was trying to make a point and realize 12jagmark you had posted the link

DanielCh (06-26-2022)
Old 06-26-2022, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Just was trying to make a point and realize 12jagmark you had posted the link
Yep, thank you i read thoroughly the thread and saw all the opinions there.
But what im still wondering is, how is the car structured so that a sound coming from the front can seem this loud and clear as if it's coming from the dashboard 😵

Old 06-26-2022, 03:50 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adaptive Dynamic Fault

I have just been through the same irritating squeakg, very pleased to discover it was the seals around the top of the shocks. However after the mechanics have replaced the top seals have a "Adaptive Dynamic Fault" that they cannot clear. Any ideas? what they would have done wrong?

Old 06-26-2022, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Maybe a bit of terminology? But it's the top strut mounts that cause the noise. Very easy to change and it does not change the wheel alignment either. I helped a fellow Jaguar forum member replace his and was pleased how easy it was. I did have a lift to help too. Be sure and do both sides while the car is in the air.

Is the wire attached to the top of the strut? Maybe unhook it and inspect and reattach it as the first step?

Old 06-27-2022, 08:42 AM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_moulden
I have just been through the same irritating squeakg, very pleased to discover it was the seals around the top of the shocks. However after the mechanics have replaced the top seals have a "Adaptive Dynamic Fault" that they cannot clear. Any ideas? what they would have done wrong?
Forget to attach the cables back to the shocks? You should see cables connected on top of both shocks under bonnet. Or maybe the connectors have failed during remove/re-attach?
... thinking more: Both front lower suspension arms have height sensors. If and when the shop have moved front shocks from the car, they might turn lower arm as down as it go for clearance? The sensor lever might not have so much movement and it have now lost it´s initial position? This can cause system to be confused abot very low ride in front.

Old 07-08-2022, 02:38 AM
Default Mechanic's preview

So i got the car inspected, the front suspension was lubricated hoping the creaking and squeaking noises will go away, it helped a bit for a few days then it started making noises again. the mechanic said the shocks must be replaced.

As for the rear suspension, the control arms need replacement. A clunking noise can be heard when going over bumps .

Also he found out the engine mounts are completely collapsed.

A slight oil leak from the timing cover was discovered, nothing major or urgent.

What are your thoughts guys?

Last edited by DanielCh; 07-08-2022 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by DanielCh
So i got the car inspected, the front suspension was lubricated hoping the creaking and squeaking noises will go away, it helped a bit for a few days then it started making noises again. the mechanic said the shocks must be replaced.

As for the rear suspension, the control arms need replacement. A clunking noise can be heard when going over bumps .

Also he found out the engine mounts are completely collapsed.

A slight oil leak from the timing cover was discovered, nothing major or urgent.

What are your thoughts guys?
Seems like a few longer-life parts they're prescribing for replacement on a not-so-old (6-years?) XJ.
And expensive labor to replace those parts.
If you do have all that done, you could ask them to give you the parts that are being replaced so you can be almost 100% that they were actually replaced.

I had my wife's XJ's motor mounts replaced a year or so ago (didn't make a noticeable difference, but I made use of a 50% off labor coupon from a Jag dealership), and the mechanic accidentally damaged an A/C hose on the left side of the engine. They of course repaired & paid for the damage, but had to order the hose &wait a few days (they did provide a loaner F-Pace).

The shocks don't make noise, the shock mounts identified in the other posts allowing the shaft of the shock to rub against it is where the squeak comes from. But I assume those parts will be included in the shock replacement.
And it doesn't hurt to replace the shocks anyway.

BUT overall - nothing wrong with freshening-up the suspension. They are wear items.
The oil leak may more likely be from the vacuum pump gasket, at the bottom of the timing cover. Not that it's impossible, but I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about oil leaking from the timing cover, but often from the vacuum pump gasket. BUT I'm talking about the 5.0L.

It sounds like you're not afraid (or too cheap) to give the beautiful car the care it deserves. Considering that, it should serve you well.

Old 07-08-2022, 12:13 PM

Seems like a few longer-life parts they're prescribing for replacement on a not-so-old (6-years?) XJ.
And expensive labor to replace those parts.
If you do have all that done, you could ask them to give you the parts that are being replaced so you can be almost 100% that they were actually replaced.

I had my wife's XJ's motor mounts replaced a year or so ago (didn't make a noticeable difference, but I made use of a 50% off labor coupon from a Jag dealership), and the mechanic accidentally damaged an A/C hose on the left side of the engine. They of course repaired & paid for the damage, but had to order the hose &wait a few days (they did provide a loaner F-Pace).

The shocks don't make noise, the shock mounts identified in the other posts allowing the shaft of the shock to rub against it is where the squeak comes from. But I assume those parts will be included in the shock replacement.
And it doesn't hurt to replace the shocks anyway.

BUT overall - nothing wrong with freshening-up the suspension. They are wear items.
The oil leak may more likely be from the vacuum pump gasket, at the bottom of the timing cover. Not that it's impossible, but I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about oil leaking from the timing cover, but often from the vacuum pump gasket. BUT I'm talking about the 5.0L.

It sounds like you're not afraid (or too cheap) to give the beautiful car the care it deserves. Considering that, it should serve you well.
Hey jagmark! Thank you for the nice reply

As you said the shocks might not be the issue, rather the mounts are the cause of the squeak, I'll have to make sure that if they don't need replacement so i keep them further and replace the mounts for now. Regarding the oil leak i guess the mechanic knows which part is leaking but maybe didn't wanna explain to me a lot. It's not major so I'll leave it for now.
As for the engine mounts, he's suggesting to get german aftermarket parts instead of the original ones, saying that they are as good. What do you think of that? Also the shocks he said he can get german parts, not sure if i should trust that..

And lol yes im trying to bring the car to a perfect condition, but without breaking the bank 😅
I'm really enjoying the car and loving the way ut looks. The problem is that it's turning heads. People who are not into cars think im rich now and ask for how much did i buy it, and all of that makes me uncomfortable 😂

Old 07-08-2022, 03:41 PM

Hey jagmark! Thank you for the nice reply

As you said the shocks might not be the issue, rather the mounts are the cause of the squeak, I'll have to make sure that if they don't need replacement so i keep them further and replace the mounts for now. Regarding the oil leak i guess the mechanic knows which part is leaking but maybe didn't wanna explain to me a lot. It's not major so I'll leave it for now.
As for the engine mounts, he's suggesting to get german aftermarket parts instead of the original ones, saying that they are as good. What do you think of that? Also the shocks he said he can get german parts, not sure if i should trust that..
Yes, but keep in mind that replacing the front shock absorbers is a little involved, so they may be suggesting that to avoid needing to do it a year or two down the road if/when you begin to feel the degraded ride of 10-year old shocks, nipping it in the bud, as it were.
Most or at least many of the original parts are German. The original shocks are made by Bilstein. Bosch makes a lot of Jaguar/Land Rover parts, along with other German manufacturers.
When they start installing Chinese parts, it's time to be concerned.
I don't know the repair culture in the UAE though, the only transportation I've needed there were taxi's & buses.
But I know a European auto mechanic in my area that has told me that he only uses JLR Genuine parts when he repairs.
I've removed a coolant pump that he replaced on my RR (for the prior owner before I bought it), and the pump I removed was a Uro (brand) pump. I trust Uro parts in general, but not so much a mechanic that claims to use only JLR genuine parts, but used a Uro instead.

Old 07-10-2022, 09:47 AM

Yes, but keep in mind that replacing the front shock absorbers is a little involved, so they may be suggesting that to avoid needing to do it a year or two down the road if/when you begin to feel the degraded ride of 10-year old shocks, nipping it in the bud, as it were.
Most or at least many of the original parts are German. The original shocks are made by Bilstein. Bosch makes a lot of Jaguar/Land Rover parts, along with other German manufacturers.
When they start installing Chinese parts, it's time to be concerned.
I don't know the repair culture in the UAE though, the only transportation I've needed there were taxi's & buses.
But I know a European auto mechanic in my area that has told me that he only uses JLR Genuine parts when he repairs.
I've removed a coolant pump that he replaced on my RR (for the prior owner before I bought it), and the pump I removed was a Uro (brand) pump. I trust Uro parts in general, but not so much a mechanic that claims to use only JLR genuine parts, but used a Uro instead.
Thanks for the interesting information.
It's a good idea to change the shocks as you said, they're already 6 years old and endured 50k miles, i believe replacing them will improve the ride quality. I trust the mechanic on the quality of the parts, i doubt he would use chinese parts.

Old 07-10-2022, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Replace them if you want but I have never seen 50K miles wear out an XJ strut?
I would replace both upper strut mounts and then see if anything else is needed. As I posted before the strut mount is a fairly easy repair and does not require a front end alignment.
Save you money because you will need it for other repairs like the rear control arms. Try to find if it's the upper or lower arm making the noise.

I am NOT a fan of URO but if that's all you can get?
Lemforder is usually considered OEM.

Old 07-14-2022, 01:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Personal opinion: your rear control arms are probably fine. The clunk you hear over bumps is most likely due to bad sway bar bushings. Replace those first (and make sure they're torquing the hardware while the car's weight is on its wheels, not while it's in the air). They're known to wear out quickly, especially in hot climates. I just did mine and the clunks are gone.

I also seriously doubt your shocks are bad. My car is a 2011 with 58k miles, also living in a hot environment, and the upper and lower strut mounts were all I needed to replace. It rides perfectly.

Old 07-15-2022, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the interesting information.
It's a good idea to change the shocks as you said, they're already 6 years old and endured 50k miles, i believe replacing them will improve the ride quality. I trust the mechanic on the quality of the parts, i doubt he would use chinese parts.
Originally Posted by clubairth1
Replace them if you want but I have never seen 50K miles wear out an XJ strut?
I would replace both upper strut mounts and then see if anything else is needed. As I posted before the strut mount is a fairly easy repair and does not require a front end alignment.
Save you money because you will need it for other repairs like the rear control arms. Try to find if it's the upper or lower arm making the noise.

I am NOT a fan of URO but if that's all you can get?
Lemforder is usually considered OEM.
Originally Posted by Kalepsis
Personal opinion: your rear control arms are probably fine. The clunk you hear over bumps is most likely due to bad sway bar bushings. Replace those first (and make sure they're torquing the hardware while the car's weight is on its wheels, not while it's in the air). They're known to wear out quickly, especially in hot climates. I just did mine and the clunks are gone.

I also seriously doubt your shocks are bad. My car is a 2011 with 58k miles, also living in a hot environment, and the upper and lower strut mounts were all I needed to replace. It rides perfectly.
So guys, i replaced the engine mounts, all went well the car runs super smooth now. All parts were replaced with original jaguar parts.

Regarding the shock mounts and bearings, both sides were replaced and all noises are gone, but now the dashboard is showing a "adaptive dynamics fault" the mechanic is saying it's because of the left shock and the warning popped up after reassembling everything. The car was leaning 1cm low to the left sidea anyway. So he's suggesting that the sensor detected the issue after disassembling and compressing the shocks, as if the issue was always there but was not caught by the sensor.
What do you think? Should i trust him on that?

Quick Reply: 2016 XJ dashboard squeak