XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2017 Jag XJ 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 Jag XJ 3.0

I own a 2017 XJ with about 25,000 miles on it. It was bought used with only 7k miles on the clock, off lease.

I just wanted to start a thread and update it with my ownership experience.

so far Zero issues. Multiple road trips including one last summer from LA to Michigan. (31mpg average on the trip)

Change the air filters to K&N... BAD IDEA
fault... codes came on... stick w factory

Dealer changes the diff fluid, coolant and spark plugs.

The glitches in the electronics were common when new but seem to have gone away w time and usage.

Planning on changing all fluids, belts and plugs at 60k to ensure long life. I’d like this to be the last car I buy.

My only complaints are the quality of the plastic around the shifter and the ashtray itself. One is a cheap black plastic and the chrome ashtray seems to scratch easily. With they were made of wood.

The auto stop/start sucks. I usually turn it off when driving. There’s a programmer you can buy for $900 which removes it and the governor and increases HP... but it’s $900. Not worth it yet for me.

Also, the 0W20 makes the V6 vibrate more than I’d care for. Been using Castro Synthetic 0W40 instead every 5,000 miles. Keeps the engine from vibrating as much.

My personal advice, don’t ever drive a car cold. Wait at least 3-4 minutes for it to warm up. I’ll go to my grave believing this and maintenance was the reason I was able to drive an old KIA to almost 400k miles a decade ago.

Other than that, no rattles or squeaks. Car has been great.

Planning a road trip to North Dakota in April will update.

Cheers 🍻,
PS Hays

Old 02-23-2022, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Very nice XJ. BTW the spark plugs are good for 100k as they are iridium tipped and last a long time.

The following users liked this post:
Sabrinaservicewriter (02-23-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 10:22 AM
Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by pshays
Also, the 0W20 makes the V6 vibrate more than I’d care for. Been using Castro Synthetic 0W40 instead every 5,000 miles. Keeps the engine from vibrating as much.
Vibrate? Might "rattle" describe it? GDI engines are a lot louder than earlier designs. In addition, the Jaguar/Ford VVT design is a bit noisy upon start-up.
Your engine was designed for 0W-20 oil, and although I think you're doing the right thing by shortening the replacement cycle, maybe get your mechanic's opinion about using a different viscosity oil than the manual calls for.

Old 02-23-2022, 11:10 AM
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Beautiful Jaguar! As a service writer for Jaguars, I know the transmission fluid is lifelong, as it is for most Jaguars so changing it wouldn't be necessary. The biggest problem that we see come into our shop is for the 3L and 5L engines, is the coolant leaks. Typically between 75-100,000 miles is when the heater manifold and coolant outlet pipes begin to leak. When we replace these hoses and manifold gaskets we replace all plastic and rubber since the parts are all the same age it's likely to see other hoses leak once the problem hose is replaced. We also recommend replacing the water pump once the manifold is removed, to save our customers about 3-3 1/2 hours of labor in the future. The price of the water pump isn't terribly expensive but having a Jaguar come back with low coolant after about $1300-$1800 worth of repairs is something we try and avoid but ultimately we let our customers make that decision.

Also, just be aware if the low coolant light ever does come on, (as long as you're safe) turn the car off immediately. I can't say this enough and always let our 3L & 5L Jaguar owners know this before they make a mistake and drive the car completely out of coolant...aka New Engine. When these engines overheat, there's no fixing them. A $95 tow bill is better than a $28,000 engine and that's not including the labor to swap the engines out.

Another issue we have come across is the gear shifter failing- the dealership here in Atlanta told us that they are on back order and are in a bidding war with different companies to manufacture them. Try and avoid water or any liquid spilling on the a/c/radio control panel as they are quite pricey and we've probably replaced about 5 of them in the last three years from customer's accidents.
If you park your car outside, make sure to have the sunroof drains checked at least once a year. Short story time! A customer came in with water in the back seat floor board. We cleared the drains but unfortunately they let the water sit for too long and it completely destroyed their blue tooth phone module, satellite navigation module and their satellite radio control module which added up to over $2600 and the satellite navigation module has no stock/ no ETA from the dealership. I still don't understand why the engineers decided to put these modules under the front car seats-but hey I'm no engineer!
Good luck driving your beautiful car and enjoy it!

The following 4 users liked this post by Sabrinaservicewriter:
kroache (02-23-2022), pshays (02-23-2022), rothwell (02-23-2022), wombat (02-28-2022)
Old 02-23-2022, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Very nice XJ. BTW the spark plugs are good for 100k as they are iridium tipped and last a long time.
thanks for the heads up! Saves me some money.

Any idea how long the water pump and coolant hoses are good for?

Old 02-23-2022, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Baltobernie
Vibrate? Might "rattle" describe it? GDI engines are a lot louder than earlier designs. In addition, the Jaguar/Ford VVT design is a bit noisy upon start-up.
Your engine was designed for 0W-20 oil, and although I think you're doing the right thing by shortening the replacement cycle, maybe get your mechanic's opinion about using a different viscosity oil than the manual calls for.
Yes, rattle... exactly.
The tech recommends I stick w 0W20... but says has long as its 0w (start up weight) I should be fine if the rattling really bothers me that much

Old 02-23-2022, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sabrinaservicewriter
Beautiful Jaguar! As a service writer for Jaguars, I know the transmission fluid is lifelong, as it is for most Jaguars so changing it wouldn't be necessary. The biggest problem that we see come into our shop is for the 3L and 5L engines, is the coolant leaks. Typically between 75-100,000 miles is when the heater manifold and coolant outlet pipes begin to leak. When we replace these hoses and manifold gaskets we replace all plastic and rubber since the parts are all the same age it's likely to see other hoses leak once the problem hose is replaced. We also recommend replacing the water pump once the manifold is removed, to save our customers about 3-3 1/2 hours of labor in the future. The price of the water pump isn't terribly expensive but having a Jaguar come back with low coolant after about $1300-$1800 worth of repairs is something we try and avoid but ultimately we let our customers make that decision.

Also, just be aware if the low coolant light ever does come on, (as long as you're safe) turn the car off immediately. I can't say this enough and always let our 3L & 5L Jaguar owners know this before they make a mistake and drive the car completely out of coolant...aka New Engine. When these engines overheat, there's no fixing them. A $95 tow bill is better than a $28,000 engine and that's not including the labor to swap the engines out.

Another issue we have come across is the gear shifter failing- the dealership here in Atlanta told us that they are on back order and are in a bidding war with different companies to manufacture them. Try and avoid water or any liquid spilling on the a/c/radio control panel as they are quite pricey and we've probably replaced about 5 of them in the last three years from customer's accidents.
If you park your car outside, make sure to have the sunroof drains checked at least once a year. Short story time! A customer came in with water in the back seat floor board. We cleared the drains but unfortunately they let the water sit for too long and it completely destroyed their blue tooth phone module, satellite navigation module and their satellite radio control module which added up to over $2600 and the satellite navigation module has no stock/ no ETA from the dealership. I still don't understand why the engineers decided to put these modules under the front car seats-but hey I'm no engineer!
Good luck driving your beautiful car and enjoy it!

hey, this was very helpful... especially the coolant system advice!

Thanks a ton !

The following users liked this post:
kroache (02-24-2022)