XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2018 XJ

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 XJ

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and wanted to reach out and see if anyone else has had this issue or seen it before.
All of the sudden I have NO power steering. I have a message alert ⚠️ Power Steering Assistance Reduced- press OK to clear.
I'm about ready to 😢 cry. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Old Today, 07:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,889 Likes on 3,196 Posts

Ezbeingme, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of helpful people here and tons of information that you will find useful for maintaining your vehicle. But, we do ask that you do one thing for us, please stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself and why you got into Jags. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and as part of this, we like to get to know one another. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your problem. I would first start with whether your power steering tank has any fluid in it. It could be something as simple as you have lost a little bit of fluid and it simply is low. If so, put some of the proper fluid into it and see if your message warning goes away.. If so, keep an eye on it. As a follow on question, have you noticed any fluid spots under the car? If so, this would be a sign of having a leak that needs to be taken care of. I had a similar experience with my 2012 and what I found was inside of the driver's side (for you) front wheel is the steering rack. The hose that comes from the cooler has to make a fairly sharp bend and if this is not bent just so, it will rub against some of the metal supports in the area, causing the mating surface to not sit right and over time, leading to a leak. In my case, I had to take off this fitting and using a tubing bender, I added a little bit more bend to the end of the tubing to make the tubing clear the offending support. After doing that, never had another issue with the power steering. Refilling the system is nothing more than parking the car on a stone surface, filling up the overflow bottle and turning the wheels back and forth, filling the overflow bottlle as needed to maintain the level between the min and max points.

You may want to pose your question over in the X351 section (XJ2010-2019). X351 is what Jaguar refers to your car as and this will get you in touch with more people that have direct knowledge of your vehicle.

Old Today, 07:59 AM

Hello Thermo- thanks for the warm welcome. I posted into the new member section last night.
As for my problem with my X351 apparently there isn't a power steering reservoir, the power steering is electronic. It was pretty funny seeing the look on my face when I opened the hood to check the fluid.

Old Today, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Run the codes or your shooting in the dark.

Can you DIY any of this? If not please stop and take your car to a dealer.
The potential for you causing additional and expensive problems is VERY high!

Old Today, 09:07 AM
Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

Ezbeingme,

If you didn't know, your XJ has electrically assisted power steering. There is a known problem with certain steering racks where water has been known to ingress into the electric motor and cause a failure.

I know in the case of the F-Pace, a recall was issued for certain VIN #s. I would contact your nearest dealer and see if the recall extends to the XJ also.

wombat

Old Today, 10:23 AM
Default Power Steering Control Modual- CODES I got yesterday

Data Display that was given to me yesterday

Scanner- Power Steering Control Modual- CODES

C1B00-62 Stearing angle sensor

B1304-04- Electronic Power Assistant Steering System

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Run the codes or your shooting in the dark.

Can you DIY any of this? If not please stop and take your car to a dealer.
The potential for you causing additional and expensive problems is VERY high!

Old Today, 11:00 AM

Scanner- Power Steering Control Modual- CODES

C1B00-62 Stearing angle sensor

B1304-04- Electronic Power Assistant Steering System

Old Today, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Follow up and report back?
It is always recommended to clear all codes and see if the come back. You want repeatable codes to make sure your chasing the right problem.

The following users liked this post:
Ezbeingme (Today)
Old Today, 11:54 AM

will do- thank you!

Old Today, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 268 Posts

Do we have the the same steering rack as in some of the Range Rover products? If so, they have an issue where the bolts holding the housing together fatigue and break, especially in rust prone areas of the country. You can do a visual of the rack to see if there are any issues, as that would be obvious just by looking. Also there is a small belt inside the rack, so that belt is a failure point.

Last edited by lotusespritse; Today at 12:19 PM.