XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

3.0D 2010 XJ right side lower

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 03:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3.0D 2010 XJ right side lower

hi guys! some help would be much apreciated
a week ago i had the "ride too low" indicator and in 5 seconds was gone. Car was good since then, 1000 km with no problems. Now, the right side of the car ( front and rear) is much lower, and the left side is much too higher than it should be. I noticed that yesterday when i exit the car, being in a much higher position than usual. When i drove back home, 7 km, on each speed bumper , i can tell i practically had no suspension on the back. Any ideas ?
Thank you so much! The car has 93K Km.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ha! I know the feeling brother! Here is a pic of my XJ after my rotors were replaced. Didn't notice until I got home but when I was driving, it sure seemed a little funny! I was shocked when I got this pic. So, to keep it short, after many trips to the dealer, my Indy figured out that it was a software issue of all things! He reset something in the computer pertaining to the ride height monitor and voila! Back to normal... Don't know if that helps but it may!

Old 09-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,952 Posts

The current XJ only has air suspension on the rear, so the height cannot be varied by software at the front, but a wonky rear will affect the front. Key thing to do is get the fault codes read. They will still be in memory.

You could have a leaking air spring unit, or wonky ride height detector.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

However there are level sensors at all 4 wheels.

The following users liked this post:
Slammerdoc (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,427 Likes on 1,907 Posts

The car is suppose to go into "Jacking Mode" when lifted to prevent that sort of thing. Don't know how to get it back to normal but I hope it does not require a dealer visit.

The following users liked this post:
Slammerdoc (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 02:40 PM

Yeah, I tried the "cheap" way of having a local brake shop install the rotors... I should have known better... But unfortunately, a dealer -or- good Indy will be the only option to have the computer calibrations done on ride height (at least in my case). My knowledge on the electronic side of Jag is extremely limited so I thank you clubairth1 for expanding my horizons about "jacking mode"!

Old 09-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

Well I am of little use because I only recently heard of jacking mode too!
This is the first car I have owned with self-leveling air suspension in the back.

Still not sure how the car goes into jacking mode and how it comes out of that mode? It does not seem like there is any switch or software button to push? Suppose to be all automatic?

If you can please let us know how you got it back to normal. I have not jacked up my XJ yet and hope to learn from your experience.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Default 2005 XJR Air suspension fault

the right side of the car is down, left side Ok. When I start the car I can hear air coming from behind the wheel --it is loud. but the front is all quiet.---Do I need new air shock/shut (S)?, if I fix the rear will it fix the front?--the car is not riding too--but is way too low. Any idea on what else this could be?

suspension fault--is on

this 2nd xj8 -replace all 4 air shock on my first one--$$$$$ just paid my mechanic to fix it--want to be smarter this time

Thank you

Sorry if I did this wrong --first time

Old 09-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

No problem but your car is a earlier model and that's on a different forum. So we are not likely to know how to fix your car.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
This is the first car I have owned with self-leveling air suspension in the back.

Still not sure how the car goes into jacking mode and how it comes out of that mode? It does not seem like there is any switch or software button to push? Suppose to be all automatic?

If you can please let us know how you got it back to normal. I have not jacked up my XJ yet and hope to learn from your experience.
Well, like I said, my Indy told me he had to reset the ride height monitor and sensors. Plus a bunch of techno-jargon I didn't understand... I will ask him about "jacking mode" when I see him again. Wish I knew more but simply stated, it was a software issue...

Last edited by Slammerdoc; 09-06-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1

Well, like I said, my Indy told me he had to reset the ride height monitor and sensors. Plus a bunch of techno-jargon I didn't understand... I will ask him about "jacking mode" when I see him again. Wish I knew more but simply stated, it was a software issue...

Old 09-08-2017, 01:40 AM

Guys, thank you, thank you all! i was away for a period. i went to my indy and he said that every sensor has 2 mesuring units or something, and one of the 2 on the left is broken. i will get another sensor. i am not sure if he is right, but right now dont have the money for the dealer. and he managed to bring the both wheels on the same level, almost the same level, by pulling out air hoses from the compressor`s valve, one at a time, untill they reached the same position more or less. then, he pulled out the electric plug of the valve, the car went to suspension fault and adaptive dynamics fault, and stayed like that. i have another car that i will use this period, but my guess i will eventually will pay a visit to the jag dealer...

Old 09-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Well that makes sense that a sensor is broken. I wonder if it sets some kind of code so we could troubleshoot it and find out which one it is?

If you could post back the part number of what was replaced that would be a big help.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The sensors look similar to the Vauxhall/Opel Omega (Cadilac Catera), and they are prone to have the arms between the suspension and the sensor popping off after hitting potholes, bumping down curbs, or jacking up one side.

I wonder if the XJ suffers similar, and the fix is just to reconnect (until its worn too much, then replacement)?