XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

4 seconds delay in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4 seconds delay in reverse

Hi guys
I have my 2011 xj that has a problem in reverse, it takes 3 to 4 seconds to get engaged and i hear the engagement. If i push the gas, it slips and get engaged
What do you think it could be?
Thanks to all

Last edited by loulizjag; 08-01-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,928 Likes on 3,224 Posts

loulizjag, I would start with checking the tranny fluid level to make sure that it is where it should be. If it is a little low, it can cause what you are seeing. After that, I would have to think that you have a solenoid that is starting to go/sticking and that is leading to the slow response.

Hopefully someone that has access to a maintenance manual can look this one up for you. I am on travel and don't have access to mine. Granted, if no one has responded by Friday, I will be back home and will be able to provide more detail then.

The following users liked this post:
loulizjag (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll try to check the fluid at a freinds garage, because the dealer believe it or not cannot fix since 2 years a problem with my AC on my XKRS.

Is it easy for a simple mechanic to look up at the fluid? What is the ref of the oil?
Thanks

Old 08-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Veteran member

loulizjag, I am on travel and don't have my repair manual or car to give you an answer. Let me get home on Friday and let me see what I can do to answer your question.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Received 185 Likes on 149 Posts

here is the Procedure for the transmission fluid level check in our cars.

yes I know its for the XK but we use the same tranny in ours (6 speed)
I do also believe the 8 speed has the same procedure (2013 +).

Old 08-05-2017, 06:21 AM
Veteran member

loulizjag, like what the video shows, in short, to check the level in the tranny, you want to place the vehicle on jackstands (get it up in the air so you can be under it) and have the car level. From there, you need to get the fluid to between 30C and 50C in termperature (will reach this point by starting the engine and letting the car idle for 2-3 minutes). With the engine running, cycle the gear shifter through all the positions to ensure all paths inside the tranny are full (do not forget to keep your foot on the brake). At this point, stop the engine and get under the car. Remove the fill port plug and ensure a slight drizzle of fluid comes out. If no fluid, the level is low and you need to add fluid in 0.5 pint increments until you see fluid start to come out the fill hole. Once fluid starts to come out of the fill hole, install the fill port plug (manual recommends a new plug) and torque to 35 nm (if using the jaguar special tool or any other adapter to a torque wrench, ensure to recalculate the torque value you go to based on changing the length of the torque wrench, any questions about this, let me know).