XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

5.0 misfiring..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 misfiring..

hello I have a 2011 Jaguar XJ 5.0 LHD non supercharged car. I’m located in TX, USA. A few weeks ago I was coming home from work and the car suddenly shut off at a red light. (A block from my home) I restarted the car and got home. The entire way, there was a plume of raw fuel burning or evaporating in a slightly white/ gray fog. The gas was dropping drastically. Almost like a stuck open injector, and smelled very strongly of fuel.

So I got home and went to bed. The next morning I decided to pull some codes on it. Granted the check engine light has never came on before and I’ve maintained the vehicle regularly. The odometer now reads 103,000. The following codes were displayed.

P0087 fuel rail pressure too low

P0313 misfire detected low fuel pressure

P0300 random/multiple cylinder misfire

P0302 cylinder 2 misfire

P0304 cylinder 4 misfire

P0306 cylinder 6 misfire

P0308 cylinder 8 misfire

P0316 misfire detected 1st 1000 revs.

I called the local jaguar dealership and spoke to a tech. I explained my problem and he said ALL cylinders that are misfiring must have injectors that all went out at the same time..I’m no expert but I honestly feel like this isn’t the case. I understand after all this I probably need to get new plugs and what not but what would all be needed? I would just like to have a few other opinions before I spend a ton of money.. thanks.. btw this was my first jaguar and I love it. I plan on fixing and keeping, even after I buy a new one. Thank you.

Adam

Old 04-19-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

We have heard of this issue here more than once that the left side injector rail has failed and had to be replaced. I don't know the particular thread, but you can do a search on bad injectors. My tech at my local Jaguar dealer has confirmed this to me and has even shown me rails that have been replaced. I do not know of a fix, but if I start to experience a roughness in my idle I run a can of BG 44K Fuel System Cleaner
Amazon Amazon
in a tank of gas and it works for me.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:56 PM

Thank you, I am currently trying to find a fuel filter, I got the car used at 30k miles and I’m sure it’s never been changed. Figured I’d see what that looks like before a tow trucks comes and takes it to a shop. I will Definitely mention the fuel rail as it does make complete sense for a whole side of the motor to misfire. But why does it dump so much fuel? From a matter of a few blocks I went from 205 miles till Empty to 7 miles to Empty. That was nuts! Not even my 65 442 drinks that much

Old 04-19-2018, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

To my knowledge, the fuel filter is located in the fuel tank and there is no regular replacement as far as I know. In the XJ there are 3 fuel pumps, one is in the fuel tank (low pressure) and the two other high pressure pumps are on the lower right of the engine and are operated by a short cam shaft.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:18 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

The same thing happened to me - the fuel injector rail and injectors on the driver's side had to be replaced. You can check the thread here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ectors-178085/

Old 02-13-2019, 02:42 PM
Default Update

I know it’s been awhile since I’ve posted, but I’ve put the car aside for awhile up until about a month ago. So, after all the trouble I had, I put it in a shop, and they told me a had a cracked spark plug and replaced it. It ran fine on the way home. About 2 miles away from my house, restricted performance and misfiring. Again. I didn’t have the funds for all new injectors at the time and parked the car. When I did that, I disconnected the battery. Later I realized I needed to move the car to a different place in my drive way so I reconnected it and the car started up perfectly, no trouble... it worked great for about 2 weeks and then it happened again. Figured I’d replace the battery, and behold, it “fixed” itself yet again. I have been so confused as to why it was doing this. Yesterday I drove it and it started to fumble at idle and check engine light returned. Great. Now it reads misfire #2 and #4 also with bank 2 catalyst below threshold. The only thing I can think of for me to do is just get the injectors and probably new cats for the thing. It was just so bizarre that when a fresh connection and battery, it decided to work

Old 02-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

I'd try the injectors before replacing the cat as it probably threw the cat code due to the injectors failing. IMHO

Old 02-14-2019, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,397 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yes I think that injector bank must be replaced.
We have had a factory tech explain it but for some reason you just can't replace 1 injector with these DI engines.
Any chance you could get a used set? Plenty of parts on EBay and I am sure it will be shocking expensive to get them from Jaguar!
We heard $1200-$1500 price range just for the injectors!

Old 02-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

$2,700, more or less, from the dealer, including labor. That included replacing the spark plugs on the impacted side of the engine, changing the oil, etc.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you live in Houston, I would highly recommend Motorcars. They work on Jaguar/Land Rover and classic British cars. The rate is reasonable at $115/hr. and these guys know what they are doing. I have dealt with both dealership in Houston and didn't feel either were competent.

The following users liked this post:
reyesfam (02-15-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 09:37 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

I do these alot now, if anyone is in the northeast (MA) and gets the typical Smoke/misfires/high fuel consumption/raw fuel out the pipes.....PM me.

TripleMcycle (12-12-2022)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

I had the same problems and was picking up almost same codes on mine . i removed no 6 injector and steeped it over nite in bucket of injector cleaner . next day the blockage had gone . i had let the tank run down to low and must have picked up some crudd from bottom of tank . i refitted the injector and it sprayed well . car has been running fine for over a year now

XJ8JR (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 07:40 PM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by George05
I had the same problems and was picking up almost same codes on mine . i removed no 6 injector and steeped it over nite in bucket of injector cleaner . next day the blockage had gone . i had let the tank run down to low and must have picked up some crudd from bottom of tank . i refitted the injector and it sprayed well . car has been running fine for over a year now
My god - an old-fashioned self-maintainer. That's refreshing to hear.

Most of even experienced DIY-ers would throw it way and buy a whole new injector. They're available on Rock Auto for like $80 or so, by the way.

Was it hard to remove the injector? Was it tough to break free, being a direct injection set-up?

George05 (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 409 Likes on 280 Posts

From what i can remember it came out quite easy . saved a few bucks in doing so . i will attempt some things other things no

Old 09-21-2019, 09:33 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Removing the injectors can be tough without the injector slide hammer tool. Then you need to buy a new injector reseal kit if you are planning to reuse it.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:28 AM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Nedoerr
Removing the injectors can be tough without the injector slide hammer tool. Then you need to buy a new injector reseal kit if you are planning to reuse it.
Have you had to remove and replace an injector too?

Old 09-21-2019, 11:58 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

I had all of mine replaced when I did the timing chains and tensioners. They all had to come out anyway. It added about $800 to the cost.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Adammarqq
hello I have a 2011 Jaguar XJ 5.0 LHD non supercharged car. I’m located in TX, USA. A few weeks ago I was coming home from work and the car suddenly shut off at a red light. (A block from my home) I restarted the car and got home. The entire way, there was a plume of raw fuel burning or evaporating in a slightly white/ gray fog. The gas was dropping drastically. Almost like a stuck open injector, and smelled very strongly of fuel.

So I got home and went to bed. The next morning I decided to pull some codes on it. Granted the check engine light has never came on before and I’ve maintained the vehicle regularly. The odometer now reads 103,000. The following codes were displayed.

P0087 fuel rail pressure too low

P0313 misfire detected low fuel pressure

P0300 random/multiple cylinder misfire

P0302 cylinder 2 misfire

P0304 cylinder 4 misfire

P0306 cylinder 6 misfire

P0308 cylinder 8 misfire

P0316 misfire detected 1st 1000 revs.

I called the local jaguar dealership and spoke to a tech. I explained my problem and he said ALL cylinders that are misfiring must have injectors that all went out at the same time..I’m no expert but I honestly feel like this isn’t the case. I understand after all this I probably need to get new plugs and what not but what would all be needed? I would just like to have a few other opinions before I spend a ton of money.. thanks.. btw this was my first jaguar and I love it. I plan on fixing and keeping, even after I buy a new one. Thank you.

Adam
hi,did you solve this problem because I have same issue with yours

Old 01-13-2021, 06:34 AM
Received 149 Likes on 75 Posts

Lim Owen & Adammarqq,
Yes this is very common. This could be telling you that you have a failing HPFP that is sending metal particles down the rail and ruining your injectors. The injectors are replaced a bank a time because its not the parts that is the problem its the labor, the injectors are only about $100-125EA from Bosch. It is also recommended (not 100% required) to replace the SS fuel rails to avoid the particles trapped in the rails/lines from ruining your new injectors. I wrote a tutorial on this job if you interested in doing it yourself, its not hard, just take your time. good luck

Old 06-21-2022, 05:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
I do these alot now, if anyone is in the northeast (MA) and gets the typical Smoke/misfires/high fuel consumption/raw fuel out the pipes.....PM me.
It won't let me pm you

Quick Reply: 5.0 misfiring..