XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Adaptive Cruise Control - X351 Advice Needed please

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adaptive Cruise Control - X351 Advice Needed please

Hi All...

Currently in the last stages of retrofitting ACC to a 2012 X351

I started to collect parts last year, after being under the illusion that it was the earlier style larger ACC radar, coupled with the separate ACC module that would sit under the dash on the driver side.
Taking the front bumper off revealed the pre wired plug for the slimmer later style ACC radar, so the parts I have currently are no longer required.
I have sourced a newer style ACC radar and plugged it in yesterday, with a basic OBD unit I was able to get some data from it.
Running an SDD session to install resulted in ABS, Adaptive Damping, EBA warnings plus a couple of others...
Seems like I also now need a replacement ABS unit, but the question would be...

The ACC ABS units 'pre load' the braking system under certain conditions, which I am trying to figure out is either controlled electronically or via additional hardware or other magic stuff within the valve body... I would have thought electronic If i am honest, as all the brakes need is a feed to each wheel... There certainly isnt an additional pressure switch that I can see comparing a non ACC and ACC unit side by side...

Has anyone yet successfully retrofitted this option ( I believe X Dave did, but according to the site, he has not been active for a year)

All help greatly appreciated - Especially if you have an X351 with ACC and live close to Malvern, Worcestershire

Thanks, Alex

Old 06-16-2022, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here first parts

Old 06-16-2022, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-17-2022, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the information... I have spent 5 hours tonight on working out how NOT to invent the incandescent light bulb... In other words... I failed...

Story so far..

Started collecting parts last year, believing that i needed the larger ACC module and the separate ECU that lives under the dashboard, and possibly the ABS unit with ACC on it, as you showed in the link to the pictures.
Removing the front bumper revealed that i needed the later style ACC unit as shown on link No2

I have a Jaguar ACC module from a 2013 car, with a busted connector, but all the pins are present.
Plugging it into the car, my ICarsoft reader recognises its on the network, but states software incompatibility.
Altering the CCF file to tell it I have ACC installed gives me 4 errors all relating to ABS, Active Dynamics, EBD and one other that escapes me...

Now... I have sourced an ACC unit from a Volvo V60, marked up as FoMoCo - Plugging that in, its recognised by SDD as being ok on the CAN network, but has Volvo software on it, so its not working and I get a 'Cruise Not Available' message on the IPC along with 2 codes from the IPC and the PCM, both stating its lost communication with the ACC module - I firmly believe this is down to the software issues..

What I cannot seem to do, as I have never messed with that section is to FORCE the module to reprogram itself, I dont have the skill set to complete that, so if anyone reading can point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

If I can get the JLR unit to work, I will need to replace the casing on it to keep the integrity of the unit watertight. If I can get the Volvo unit to accept the JLR code, then its all good from there I guess..

The saga continues

Old 10-18-2023, 04:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Alex,

Did you ever figure out how to get this done?

I am facing a similair issue, where I need to install the ACC because its complaining about other systems having faults.

Let me know if you have any information to share.

Old 10-18-2023, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Whipas
Hi Alex,

Did you ever figure out how to get this done?

I am facing a similair issue, where I need to install the ACC because its complaining about other systems having faults.

Let me know if you have any information to share.
I did not get the chance sadly, as this happened in May.... Head on collision with a Dacia Sandero on my side of the road... That being said, there is a friend of mine on the Jaguar XJ 351 owners forum on Facebook who took up where I left off and managed to get his fitted 100% - Head on over there and join, the guys name is Ryan Stirling

Old 10-18-2023, 07:47 AM
Received 186 Likes on 121 Posts

Glenn & Ryan both contribute to this thread

That picture still looks painful, Alex; but not as painful as the video!

Old 10-19-2023, 03:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Alex,

Wow, sorry to see you had an accident like that... hope everyone was fine.. damn.

Just out of curiousity - who was worse off, the Dacia or the XJ?

Old 10-19-2023, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Whipas
Hey Alex,

Wow, sorry to see you had an accident like that... hope everyone was fine.. damn.

Just out of curiousity - who was worse off, the Dacia or the XJ?