XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

add a leaper????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default add a leaper????

My wife's 2012 XJ is due towards the end of the month. The jag she owned in the past had the leaper on the hood and she thinks "You have to have a LEAPER!"
What are your opinions about the look of adding a leaper to the new body style?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Do a forum search. Fairly polarizing topic--some love it, some hate it. Personally I don't think it looks that good on the new model. Looked great on the '02 and '05 XJR's I owned.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Would not put it on MY car but to each his/her own. This is your WIFE'S car so my advice would be to go for it based upon HER wishes. Not a new revelation but "Yes Dear" goes a long way in a marriage.

Good luck...

The following users liked this post:
Arland Green (04-11-2013)
Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

You should go for it but as recommended above her preference counts in here . I think since your hood is not same as slope downwards as XFs then you can try it

Old 02-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I'm one of the Nay sayers, but it is entirely up to you.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw one at the dealer and the first thought that came to mind was - an angler fish.
add a leaper????-imagescaqjvgrx.jpg

Old 02-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Lot of opinions on this one...and here's mine. I think the leaper had its place on past models. It just doesn't go with the new model lineup. I think that most (emphasis on "most") of the folks who really love the new Jaguars agree that the leaper just doesn't vibe. I've seen several new XJs rolling down Constitution Ave with a shiny leaper attached...and I just shake my head. Even saw a post-2006 XK with one on the bonnet...gross. But, to each his own. Depends on your level of taste.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to agree with Andahaion, the new body styles were created for a present day look. The leaper would just take away from the lines of the vehicle, plus if she does not like it later on the hole in the hood is not easly removed.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by MDabney
Would not put it on MY car but to each his/her own. This is your WIFE'S car so my advice would be to go for it based upon HER wishes. Not a new revelation but "Yes Dear" goes a long way in a marriage.

Good luck...
"Happy wife, happy life" as mine likes to say! I keep asking her what rhymes with "husband" and she just says "nothing".

Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  19.3 KB

Notr a big fan myself, on the older stlye Jags they just seemed to fit and definitely a part of the brand.

On the newer, up to date, all singin all dancing NEW style......its a definite NO from me.

On a side note think MB......my bro in law has a failry new one CLK220 I think irc.
Now they USED to be known for that 3 pointed star on the bonnet......nowadays its a small circular badge!!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The leaper placed real close to the grill (see Arden customs 2012 XJ) looks just fine. Take it a step further and black matte the leaper and black matte the rear leaper on back side of the car and it will look original, classy, and one of a kind.....
Hey... I might just try that!!
Ill send you pics when mine is finished..

Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

When I purchased my new XJL it already had the dealer-installed leaper. I even questioned the dealer why they would do that, as I did not particularly care for it. The Manager claimed that most of their customers wanted it. I asked him if he could remove it? Answer was a "NO" since it was bolted to the hood. Since I wanted that particular car color, I said: "what the hell..." and purchased the car with the leaper.

Over the weeks and months of my ownership, the leaper on my hood just grew on me and now I kind of like the looks of it. Still not sure if I would install one if it was a choice but, it actually does add something to the hood. So, my suggestion is to add it if this is her personal preference. Certainly, as I posted in an other current thread here, my car draws universally positive, admiring reactions from the public and not a single person objected to the leaper on the hood. I think, since most had never seen an XJL before, they just accept it as the factory look, and, boy..., they love the looks.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 10-14-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

If you'll excuse the opinion of an interloper... I have found myself wondering if leaper desire is a particularly American phenomenon. Both of my cars have them - but they're old. Still, old XJ40s outside the US don't necessarily have them; but our market seems to prefer them. I saw a new XJ two weeks ago on the country roads of Wisconsin (a rare sight!) WITH a leaper. On the one hand, on the new model it looks a little like a booger. On the other, it's a Jag; and Jags always have leapers jumping off their fronts... don't they?

Scott

Old 10-14-2012, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
If you'll excuse the opinion of an interloper... I have found myself wondering if leaper desire is a particularly American phenomenon. Both of my cars have them - but they're old. Still, old XJ40s outside the US don't necessarily have them; but our market seems to prefer them. I saw a new XJ two weeks ago on the country roads of Wisconsin (a rare sight!) WITH a leaper. On the one hand, on the new model it looks a little like a booger. On the other, it's a Jag; and Jags always have leapers jumping off their fronts... don't they?

Scott
LOL. Not if they look like a booger!

Old 10-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MidwestJag

Scott
Many European countries had long ago outlawed any front-protruding devices, such as the leaper, due to the risk they represented in accidents between cars and street-crossing people. Since Europe has far more people walking and crossing streets, those accidents were not rare. Even the Mercedes 3-star had to be taken down in those countries.

As far as being a "booger" on new cars, I just think most of that is the fact that people are not used to seeing them on newer car, thus resist the idea. I don't see why it would look any worse on the new cars as opposed to the previous XJ variations, where it was used extensively.

Albert

Old 10-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Albert:
I guess what I mean is that the "nose" (to which the front end always seems to be referred) seems so much more bulbous on the new cars than on the old - thus making it seem as if there's something unusual hanging on the front end whenever a leaper is put on it. But actually, I quite agree with you; and would very likely put one on my new Jag if I had one. I love them. It seems strange in my neck of the woods to see a Jag without one!
Scott

Old 10-15-2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

I saw one on an XF the other day, liked it and might like it on the new XJ as well...but...I worry about mine whenever I park somewhere strange or valet, so I'd like the peace of mind with not having one and I love the new cars without the leaper!

Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Leaper

I added a leaper to my Jag when I bought it last year. Still love the look. Here's my original post.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...arrived-61867/

Barry

Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

i used to agree with what your wife said......"its a jag, it should have a leaper" and as jim said, the older bodies looked quite fitting with the leaper

but after having nearly 10 (yes thats correct, ten) leapers stolen off my cars....it became a huge pain in the ***.

plus theres something about the shape of the new cars that actually dont look as good with the leaper

Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carzaddict
but after having nearly 10 (yes thats correct, ten) leapers stolen off my cars....it became a huge pain in the ***.
Wow!!!

Stealing the leapers and damaging the hood was my chief concern when I purchased my XJL with the dealer installed leaper on the hood. I asked the dealer about his experience with stolen leapers. He confidently stated that during all the years of him being there he knew of only 3 instances amongst hundreds of cars with the hood ornament.

Your experience is discouraging, to say the list. One thing I have to say is that you are insistent by putting the thing back to be stolen nearly 10 times. I think one would do it for me.

Did the leaper's spring loaded base remain in the hood when they ripped it off or, they they managed to break the bolts that mount it to the hood? Guess, what I am trying to ask is; what did it take to replace/repair?

Albert

Quick Reply: add a leaper????