XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Advice Needed - Considering XJL SC

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice Needed - Considering XJL SC

Hey guys,

I've been lurking around the forum, but never really posted. I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 2011 XJL SC. However I am a bit concerned. I've owned "Lexuses" so i'm pretty much used to the stability and reliability but I'm concerned with the reports on creaking, roof popping and the SC engine having a rough idle.

I've test drove the XJL, but i didn't pay attention to the popping sounds. I was busy with teh BW sound system. If there's any roof creak or pop, I know i would hear them. I'm **** about things like that. I'd hate to cough out $75K+ on a car and then have it in the shop for issues. Yes I know all cars have issues, but at this price range, it should be near flawless with isuues here and there.

I also test drove a 750 LI, i thought it was more "balanced" than the XJL but not as nimble. Funny thing is the radio was off when I drove the 750 i didn't hear 1 rattle or squeak at all. I was actually impressed by the quite cabin and smooth ride.

I'm seeking opinions. Any happy campers out there? I have a friend who owns a jagaur XF, and they just recently had to replace his dash. Every data point is telling me bad reliability with Jag, but I want to convince my self otherwise.

Thoughts anyone??

Old 05-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

I have been very pleased with mine and now have over 25,000 miles since purchased in June, 2010 (the first one delivered by my dealer). Yes, the roof did pop initially, but it was fixed promptly by my competant dealer (important to have). I have had no other reliability issues. The Jaguar SC'd engines do miss slightly when cold (I have had several), but then smooth out completely when warmed up--I sometimes wonder if the few owners that complain that they have an engine misfire problem just don't understand or are unwilling to accept this. The main reason I went for the XJ is exclusivity--you're just one of the crowd with a MB or BMW. There is no comparison to the exterior or interior design--the XJ excels in both and all of the approving looks will confirm this.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:14 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Some are happy and have had few/no problems (but many not all bought second hand so the first owner dealt with the initial quality concerns) while some have had their cars replaced or exstinsive repair work like your friend.. Some like to try and discredit the JD Power numbers but they are what they are and Jaguar is 23rd out of 27 and has been trending much much lower for the last few years. Funny when Jaguar was #1 in 2009 everyone thought that was great and the #'s meant something then, but now that their almost dead last the numbers mean nothing. Make up your own mind.

I think Jags are some of the most beautiful cars out there but seem to have far more than their fair share of problems.

Best of luck either way you go.

Last edited by RJC; 05-17-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Here's a link to a 2011 XJ rating review article. The interesting thing is that the reliability rating dropped significantly from 2011 to 2012 (i.e. much better for 2011 model).

2011 Jaguar XJ Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars

Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM
RJC

It appears/could be late 11's and early 12's might be more problematic.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder if the theory that most of the problems happen on the '12s early on and the dealer fixes them, maybe the long-term reliability isn't an issue. No way to really tell, though.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:39 PM
RJC

Could be Mike, my brand new car will get a replacement engine or cylinder head and it will probably run fine and the next owner wouldn't have a clue about all the problems (some minor some not) it had. Wonder if the 13's will be any better...time will tell.

Last edited by RJC; 05-17-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Thanks all, seems to be like hit or miss really. I'll make my decision soon. Wife thinks I should go for the bmw because of the potential jag issues.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Seems like BMW has their issues as well, but Jag has the unfortunate reputation that has plagued them for many years.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bimori
Thanks all, seems to be like hit or miss really. I'll make my decision soon. Wife thinks I should go for the bmw because of the potential jag issues.
Your wife should realize that every car manufacturer has potential issues. However, that's why they all give you a warranty. Serious issues with car companies are the exception, not the rule. If they were the rule, then the companies would be out of business.

To think that buying a new Jag is a coin toss between receiving a great car or receiving a lemon is just absurd.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM

The Jaguar warranty is one of the best in the business--you just have to be willing to use it to its fullest if there's a problem. There's always the risk of a major problem with any new car--they are designed and built by human beings. However, I can't overemphasize the need to have a competant dealer with a great service department--all dealers are not created equal. This goes for all brands of high end cars--they are all so complicated nowadays and have the potential for more elusive problems.

To me it was worth the risk of a few initial problems to drive such a beautiful and exclusive car. It turned out fine and I don't think I was just lucky to have had only one issue (the roof pop)--I think you are hearing from the vocal minority on this forum concerning complaints. Don't let it turn you off on this fine automobile.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a low vin 2011 jag xjl it had the radio, Nav freeze and the infamous roof popping. They gave me a high vin replacement car after seven months and about 7 attempts between both cars and now the roof and doors creak.
I love the look of this car but after this I would go for the BMW. Again not for the look. The only car that looks better than a Jag is a Maserati or Bentley.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 PM

I am only 3 weeks into owning my '12 XJL SC, but have had no real issues and am a very happy camper. I initially tried to listen for the roof popping sound, but heard nothing that constituted a problem. Of interest to you perhaps, I test drove it back to back with a new 2012 750Li. There was little comparison. The BMW was pretty smooth, but the interior surely didn't wow me. It felt and looked the same as the 3-series and 5-series with a little more room. I guess I am saying that it didn't feel "special," especially with a MSRP of $103k. Additionally, the engine, while pretty nice, doesn't move like the SC engine does. Also, the transmission was not as smooth as the Jag's ZF 6-speed. I previously owned a new 2010 BMW 650i and experienced this issue with the transmissions. It spent so much time trying to anticipate the correct gear that there was hesitation. I found it annoying.

The Jag definitely has the edge in interior luxury, exterior sexiness, and all around exclusivity. Everybody and their mother has an S-Class or a 7-series. I am the only local Jag owner and it gets Bentley-esque attention, for better and for worse.

Just my $0.02. I doubt you can go wrong with any of the cars in this class. Best of luck with your decision.

PMMD

Old 05-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am very happy, one year and 11k miles later. Roof popping showed up at around 5k miles. The roof popping send to be endemic in panoramic roof cars, according to the mercedes benz owner forum posts I've read. For me the roof piping is quite minor and I would definitely buy the scxjl all over again. Beautiful, fast, comfortable and smooth.
And, as has been said, bmws are more common than hondas where I live, nearly so with mb.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM

The XJ i definitely one of the best looking cars out there and believe me that was my choice a few days ago. I'm just doing my due diligence in researching. I onced owned a lexus that had dash rattles, and it pissed me off. Took almost 6 months before the right dealer could fix it.
I understand every car is going to have some issues, but not to the point of having the car replaced completely. I know we are dealing with numbers here, but there's at least 4-6 peopleon this forum that have either traded their XJ in or replaced with a higher vin.
BMW's have issues, so do MB no doubt but with Jag their reputation precedes them. I might still buy the Jag, but at least I would know what to expect rather than be shocked. We'll see though.

I live in Dallas, been here for about 2 years and I have seen about 4 XJ's and maybe 3 750 LI (F01/F02). I do like the exclusivity of the jag. Tough decision guys.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 PM

I onced owned a lexus that had dash rattles, and it pissed me off. Took almost 6 months before the right dealer could fix it.
There are those that have posted here that swear a high J.D. Powers initial customer satisfaction rating like Lexus has is the gospel. Just goes to show that every manufacturer can sell a car with problems. It's just the luck of the draw if you get one and then you must rely on the warranty to make you whole.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 PM
RJC

The XJ i definitely one of the best looking cars out there and believe me that was my choice a few days ago. I'm just doing my due diligence in researching. I onced owned a lexus that had dash rattles, and it pissed me off. Took almost 6 months before the right dealer could fix it.

I understand every car is going to have some issues, but not to the point of having the car replaced completely. I know we are dealing with numbers here, but there's at least 4-6 peopleon this forum that have either traded their XJ in or replaced with a higher vin.
BMW's have issues, so do MB no doubt but with Jag their reputation precedes them. I might still buy the Jag, but at least I would know what to expect rather than be shocked. We'll see though.

I live in Dallas, been here for about 2 years and I have seen about 4 XJ's and maybe 3 750 LI (F01/F02). I do like the exclusivity of the jag. Tough decision guys.
I hear ya and empathize with you. As I've always said, Jags are beautiful cars (that's one of the reasons I bought one) but according to the numbers have many more initial quality problems than most if not all luxury brands; if they were at least in the top 50% it would make things easier for you I'm sure. Yes, every car co has problems but the consistently top rated brands put the odds in your favor especially when buying new and dealing with initial quality.

I have had three XF loaners so far all new (600-1000 miles) 2012's, the first one was ok with a lone rattle here and there, the second had lots of rattles from the headliner, dash and doors, the current one which I still have courtesy of the dealership (a Portfolio edition which had 16 miles on the odo) is as tight as drum and rock solid; however all three had/have a steering wheel shimmy above 50 mph which does not go away even when the tires are fully warmed up. I'm sure a good balancing will take care of the shimmy, but why is Jaguar letting cars go out this way? Perhaps if they took care of these kinds of things at the factory their numbers would be better.

Best of luck whichever direction you take and if you do end up getting the Jag I hope you get one that's problem free; the cooled seats are superb.

Last edited by RJC; 05-18-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We recently purchased our XJ Supercharged, after being in a 7 series, and absolutely love it! After contemplating new, we opted for a low mileaged 2011 with every single option we wanted in the 2012. The Platinum Certified 6 year/100,000 mile warranty is absolutely amazing, had the first owner deal with potential issues (it was purchased in August 2011 originally), and also had the first owner take one hell of a hit on the $90,000+ price tag! In my opinion, the 7 series does not compare to the Jaguar XJ. It out performs it in almost every aspect. My BMW was a headache and when i traded it in I looked at it in the rear view mirror, I was glad I never had to see it parked in the garage again. I am making an appointment at Eurocharged, in Houston, to do their pulley and tune...I am also working on a Corsa exhaust system too! This car is just a weekend car, just like the BMW was, but we drive it a helluva a lot more than the BMW...cause it's just so much damn fun to drive! I've owned many nice cars in the past, but I find myself coming up with every single reason in the book to take her out! I've said it before, but the Jaguar XJ is for the 7 series owner that wondered what the hell happened to the 7 series! Good luck with your decision in whatever it may be. However, you will not be disappointed with the XJ!

The following 2 users liked this post by pennys58:
HouTexJag (05-19-2012), LiquidIce (10-31-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:07 AM

pennys58

Let us know how your tune turns out. I was not aware of the Eurocharged organizaton and they are exactly what I was looking for--a local Houston shop that will guarantee their tune for the life of the car and reflash as necessary at no charge. I feel that the XJ SC has a lot of unleashed power that a tune and/or pulley could help with, but not at the expense of possible engine damage. You really need to work with the turner to tweak the tuning on a dyno to get the exact desireable AFR and you just can't do that effectively long distance.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HouTexJag-

I agree, you could not pay me to just throw a mail order tune in any car. There are so many variables that have to be taken into consideration, and a dyno tune is the only way to make sure that it is done safely and properly. Plus, with the MyGenius programmer you can get from them, it will hold your stock tune and 4 other tunes. That way, if you want to run a more aggressive tune one day and then go on a road trip and save gas mileage, you can use that tune. If you have to go into the dealer, you can put your stock tune back in. Plus, it is local and these guys have some real good knowledge!

This car, with the tune and pulley, really puts the performance of this car above any of the AMG's and M Series. I've owned them in the past, and know with what this jag has now...what it will be with a little tweaking!

Quick Reply: Advice Needed - Considering XJL SC