XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

AFS headlight won’t stay still

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFS headlight won’t stay still

2013 XJ 351, recently replaced my headlight with another AFS headlight and the projector light is all over the place and won’t stay steady. Any info on this problem?

Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry but I don't recognise the terminology. What's AFS?

Old 03-03-2020, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by OBC John
Sorry but I don't recognise the terminology. What's AFS?
Adaptive Front Lighting System

Old 03-03-2020, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

It stands for Adaptive Front Lighting, and is the encompassing name given to anything that adapts or adjusts the lights based on external inputs, such as cornering or vehicle weight.

It sounds like Hunter's issue is the beam on the replaced headlamp is continually moving about when it shouldn't be.

Is the projector wobbling with the road surface, or is stable and appears to be being moved by the motor?

You mentioned it has just been replaced, and those headlamp units are meant to be scrapped if they are dropped or you have an accident because the carriage that attaches to the motor for both cornering and throw adjustments can easily break loose with a sudden impact. If it was dropped prior to you getting it that may be the issue? You'd be able to tell because it would be wobbling all over the place, and when unfitted you would be able to see it wobble if you shook it. Does that match your symptom? If that is the cause, you can hopefully repair it but it would require opening up the headlamps (and if you just bought it should be able to exchange it as damaged).

When you first turn ignition on with the lamps on the AFS should go through the calibration routine as the motors don't have encoders. The beam should visually move fully left then fully right before snapping back to the centre again. Does that happen?

Old 03-03-2020, 07:42 AM

Thank you the reply, I don’t believe that it was ever dropped. It was bought from a reliable source that assured me the light was in prefect condition and tested before taking it out of the donor car. But upon starting the vehicle the lights just move around all over the place and I haven’t driven it around yet because of this issue.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:54 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm no auto electrician but my recent experience with head-lights leads me to believe that a blown fuse can have strange effects, even when you'd expect the circuit to be dead. So can I suggest checking the fuses that power the motors? They're in the cabin fusebox (located behind the centre armrest in the rear seats) - F49 & F50. 5 Amp

Old 03-03-2020, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by OBC John
I'm no auto electrician but my recent experience with head-lights leads me to believe that a blown fuse can have strange effects, even when you'd expect the circuit to be dead. So can I suggest checking the fuses that power the motors? They're in the cabin fusebox (located behind the centre armrest in the rear seats) - F49 & F50. 5 Amp
i will definitely give that a try once I am able to!

Old 09-19-2021, 12:06 PM

my headlights are cross eyed no warning light i checked the fuse's and all looks good
in other words HELP!!!!!!!!!!!