XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Aftermarket Battery? 2019 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Aftermarket Battery? 2019 XJ

I have a 2019 Jag XJ R-Sport V6 Supercharged. The battery appears to be an H-8 AGM. Aftermarket catalogs don’t list the battery. Is there a specific reason we need to go to a Jaguar Dealer to get a replacement battery? Or can I purchase an H-8 AGM at an auto parts store to replace?

Old 12-01-2022, 03:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

longandlow, I do not have a jaguar battery in my car and it works just fine. You will want to make sure that you are getting one with sufficient CCA as getting too small of a battery can lead to other issues. Keep in mind that because you are in the US, odds are, your Jaguar battery is just a relabeled Exide battery. There are only 2 major battery manufacturers in the US. So, most of what you see in the stores is from one of these 2 companies and in a lot of cases is the same battery with different stickers on the outside. The only difference really is the warrantee that the company that has their sticker on the battery offers.

The following users liked this post:
QP7 (10-11-2023)
Old 12-11-2022, 01:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say, ho with the any aftermarket battery, that fits your model.
Just check the online recommendations at some global producers, such as Bosch, Varta. So you get the main parameters, you have to look for.
H8 is even slightly more powerfull in CCA, than Varta's recommendation. So it should do.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts

The most important thing is to replace your OEM AGM battery with the same size AGM battery and at least the same CCA rating. Also make sure that your new battery is fully charged before it's installed, because many batteries sit on retailers' shelves for months discharging before they're sold.

If your car isn't driven daily, you have a short commute, or don't get up to highway speeds, you should consider getting a battery maintainer to keep your battery fully charged. Here's how I installed my CTEK:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-130801/

QP7 (10-11-2023)
Old 12-16-2022, 02:42 PM
Default 2019 XJ battery from aftermarket.

Originally Posted by Thermo
longandlow, I do not have a jaguar battery in my car and it works just fine. You will want to make sure that you are getting one with sufficient CCA as getting too small of a battery can lead to other issues. Keep in mind that because you are in the US, odds are, your Jaguar battery is just a relabeled Exide battery. There are only 2 major battery manufacturers in the US. So, most of what you see in the stores is from one of these 2 companies and in a lot of cases is the same battery with different stickers on the outside. The only difference really is the warrantee that the company that has their sticker on the battery offers.
Thanks for the reply. Is your XJ a 2019? The OE battery for mine is an AGM battery...but there are no listings in the aftermarket auto parts stores. I assume they are sending us back to the dealer to replace batteries. I am looking at putting an EFB (enhanced flooded battery) in. The outperform AGM and should perform better. I was seeking knowledge from this group to see if anyone has successfully installed a battery in the 2019 XJ. I believe the BCI size is 49 (H7 din).

Old 12-16-2022, 08:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

longandlow, no, mine is a 2012. So, I don't have all that extra stuff on my car like start/stop and whatnot.

Looking, the Type 49 battery is an H8 battery (not an H7 as you say). I am not aware of anything that was changed with the car since 2016 that would require a different battery from say a 2017 car. So, if you get what others have been getting, you should be good.

You mentioned the EFB battery. I was curious about it and did some research on it. Simplifying it, an EFB battery is really just a standard lead acid battery with a fiberglass mat around the negative plates. This forces the current flow to be more even across the plates, leading to a slightly lower internal resistance and a better output. It also allows the battery to be discharged deeper than a conventional battery (this does not include the AGM). So, if you have a small car or a 2000ish car (or older), stepping from a standard acid battery to the EFB battery is an improvement. The AGM battery takes the idea of the EFB battery and puts it on steroids. They put the matting on the plates, to suspend the acid, reinforcement plates, etc. The AGM battery is designed to take a lot more shock, deeper discharges, and still start the car because it has an even lower internal resistance than the EFB battery. So, it is true that for very small cars with Start/Stop the EFB performs as well, on a large car like the XJ, the AGM is better overall.

Here is the one last thing you have to keep in mind. Our cars "measure" how much it has been started and how long it has been charging the engine. It then determines a relative amount of capacity left. That capacity falls too low, it keeps the car out of Start/Stop mode to get the battery back up.. The other benefit of the AGM battery is that it can recharge faster than an EFB battery. So, tossing in an EFB battery is going to cause the car to miscalculate the capacity and can lead to erroneous things to happening (random CEL messages, potential non-start following a Start/Stop sequence, etc).

The one last thing is the internal resistance of the battery. For most cars, this is not a big deal. On our cars, it is. This is because the battery is mounted in the back of the car, not up front (20 feet of battery cable vice 5). Yeah so. When you pass current through a wire, it drops voltage (longer wire drops more voltage). Same is true with a battery. The more current you pull from the battery, the lower the voltage goes. It is because of this internal resistance. You need a battery that has the highest terminal voltage that you can get. Even something as simple as 0.1 VDC difference may mean the difference between starting and not.

Batteries are one of those things that I have a thing for. One of my jobs involved me working around a battery that could power a small town (literally). Seeing a battery pull 20,000 amps was nothing for me. So, I have always tried to teach people a little bit about batteries, what is better or why they need something specific for their vehicles. Now, whether you get an AGM from Walmart or from Exide direct, that really doesn't matter as it probably came off of the same assembly line (just has a different sticker on the outside - take a look at a parts place and notice how all the batteries from the different manufacturers come in the same case, coincidence, I know it isn't). The difference between a $150 and $300 battery is the warrantee. So, are you willing to spend the extra in case the battery is a dud and it goes out in 3 years so you get a new one for free then or are you willing to chance it and have a battery that lasts 8+ years like most AGM batteries will most likely live past?

The following 3 users liked this post by Thermo:
QP7 (10-11-2023), ralphwg (01-27-2023), Stuart S (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,284 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by longandlow
Thanks for the reply. Is your XJ a 2019? The OE battery for mine is an AGM battery...but there are no listings in the aftermarket auto parts stores. I assume they are sending us back to the dealer to replace batteries. I am looking at putting an EFB (enhanced flooded battery) in. ...
You should run as fast as you can from any battery retailer who tells you to replace your OEM AGM battery with an EFB battery. Read your Owner's Handbook. It will tell you to replace your OEM AGM battery with the same type and size battery.

P.S. I believe that the reason you can't find the battery online is because battery retailers don't have the Jaguar diagnostic tool to reset the Battery Monitoring System module after the OEM battery is replaced. As others have pointed out, that reset isn't necessary as the BMS will relearn it after a while. Just replace it with the same size AGM battery.
Battery Monitoring System technical details

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-17-2022 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
QP7 (10-11-2023), ralphwg (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 08:34 AM
Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

Is your battery knackered, or are you just replacing it on spec?

The reason I ask is last year I took my wife's 2017 F-Pace in for its final free service. Apart from the normal oil and filter changes, they replaced the battery as it was underperforming for FREE! I was surprised they changed the battery as I hadn't noticed any of the normal warning signs.

Might be worth visiting your local dealership?

wombat

Stuart S (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

You must have a great dealer!
I thought batteries, brake pads and stuff like that was just considered normal wear and tear and not covered under factory warranty?

Old 12-17-2022, 03:46 PM
Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

clubairth1,

Well, they did charge me just over a grand to change the rear pads and rotors at the same time!!!

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

wombat

Old 01-25-2023, 11:47 AM
Default Thanks for posting

Originally Posted by Norbertas
I would say, ho with the any aftermarket battery, that fits your model.
Just check the online recommendations at some global producers, such as Bosch, Varta. So you get the main parameters, you have to look for.
H8 is even slightly more powerfull in CCA, than Varta's recommendation. So it should do.
Thanks for taking the time to post the info. I appreciate it.

QP7 (10-11-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Yes this is a bit of confusion for me?
I had posted the documents before and then someone pointed out that in that document Jaguar says you MUST reset the BMS using SDD. Yet the very next sentence goes on to describe the self-calibration the system does regardless if you use SDD to reset the BMS or not?

I still have the factory battery after 9+ years in my 2014 XJ! I can't believe it and run a volt meter in the cigarette lighter to keep tabs on the electrical system. So when I do replace the battery I am not sure if I will attempt a reset using SDD or not?

Old 01-26-2023, 09:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the one you want from Walmart

EverStart Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H8 (12 Volt/900 CCA) $169.84

rothwell (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks! That is a good price on a good battery.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,269 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Thanks! That is a good price on a good battery.
Yeah thanks Michael. I have been putting off getting a new one for the XJL. I think I will try one for that price...and the 4 year replacement warranty. If I use my Amex I can get another year added to that as well.

Read that these EverStart batteries are made by Johnson Controls.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by michaelnv
This is the one you want from Walmart

EverStart Platinum AGM Battery, Group Size H8 (12 Volt/900 CCA) $169.84

That's what I put in my 2017 XJL. Works perfectly, it was not necessary to reset the BMS.

rothwell (01-28-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 04:54 PM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

has anyone ever had AAA battery service replace theirs? I did with older cars for the convenience of being able to have them come to you to address any issues/warranty replacements, but never really paid attention to the type of battery
Would this level of car be considered not ideal to use whatever standard batteries they provide?

side question
in your experiences roughly how many miles to XJ batteries last?

I have a 2016 R-Sport pretty sure on its original battery, but only 44K miles, currently mainly use it as a weekend car and the current only issues are the typical asking to start engine if have doors open >~10-15min at a time, just trying to gauge what to expect/look for when a replacement would be needed/worthwhile considering my limited usage of the car
also would it benefit the battery and other parts of the car to take it to work (40 mostly hwy miles round trip) at least once a wk, rather than just driving it weekends (~40-60 total miles maybe up to half hwy)

Old 03-03-2023, 09:42 PM
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts

Interesting questions - I don't know if I've read these before, so I can believe you may not have found these in existing posts...
Originally Posted by EliteZags
has anyone ever had AAA battery service replace theirs? I did with older cars for the convenience of being able to have them come to you to address any issues/warranty replacements, but never really paid attention to the type of battery
Would this level of car be considered not ideal to use whatever standard batteries they provide?
What brand and type does AAA provide you with? Does it fit the specification in your owner's manual?

side question
in your experiences roughly how many miles to XJ batteries last?
That's a very good question - how many miles do you drive in 5 or so years? That might answer your question.

I have a 2016 R-Sport pretty sure on its original battery, but only 44K miles, currently mainly use it as a weekend car and the current only issues are the typical asking to start engine if have doors open >~10-15min at a time, just trying to gauge what to expect/look for when a replacement would be needed/worthwhile considering my limited usage of the car
It may be worth looking in your owners manual for the battery spec, or if the one that's in there has worked well so far, maybe that might be a good choice.
also would it benefit the battery and other parts of the car to take it to work (40 mostly hwy miles round trip) at least once a wk, rather than just driving it weekends (~40-60 total miles maybe up to half hwy)
As a general rule of thumb, I've always heard it's good to use a vehicle instead of leaving it sit unused. One thing about my wife's XJ is that it loves to be driven, and we've been told as much by others.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 915 Posts

If the battery in your XJ came with it when the car was new and it is not driven much be prepared to replace your 7 year old battery. If it were me, I would replace the battery with an AGM. Our cars DO NOT like old batteries that show less than 12.6 volts of power across the battery terminals when the car is idle and shut down. Symptoms of a week battery are crazy lights flashing on the instrument panel or other weird happenings electrically. When you replace your battery make sure the new battery is fully charged.

QP7 (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 10:25 PM
QP7
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
longandlow, no, mine is a 2012. So, I don't have all that extra stuff on my car like start/stop and whatnot.

Looking, the Type 49 battery is an H8 battery (not an H7 as you say). I am not aware of anything that was changed with the car since 2016 that would require a different battery from say a 2017 car. So, if you get what others have been getting, you should be good.

You mentioned the EFB battery. I was curious about it and did some research on it. Simplifying it, an EFB battery is really just a standard lead acid battery with a fiberglass mat around the negative plates. This forces the current flow to be more even across the plates, leading to a slightly lower internal resistance and a better output. It also allows the battery to be discharged deeper than a conventional battery (this does not include the AGM). So, if you have a small car or a 2000ish car (or older), stepping from a standard acid battery to the EFB battery is an improvement. The AGM battery takes the idea of the EFB battery and puts it on steroids. They put the matting on the plates, to suspend the acid, reinforcement plates, etc. The AGM battery is designed to take a lot more shock, deeper discharges, and still start the car because it has an even lower internal resistance than the EFB battery. So, it is true that for very small cars with Start/Stop the EFB performs as well, on a large car like the XJ, the AGM is better overall.

Here is the one last thing you have to keep in mind. Our cars "measure" how much it has been started and how long it has been charging the engine. It then determines a relative amount of capacity left. That capacity falls too low, it keeps the car out of Start/Stop mode to get the battery back up.. The other benefit of the AGM battery is that it can recharge faster than an EFB battery. So, tossing in an EFB battery is going to cause the car to miscalculate the capacity and can lead to erroneous things to happening (random CEL messages, potential non-start following a Start/Stop sequence, etc).

The one last thing is the internal resistance of the battery. For most cars, this is not a big deal. On our cars, it is. This is because the battery is mounted in the back of the car, not up front (20 feet of battery cable vice 5). Yeah so. When you pass current through a wire, it drops voltage (longer wire drops more voltage). Same is true with a battery. The more current you pull from the battery, the lower the voltage goes. It is because of this internal resistance. You need a battery that has the highest terminal voltage that you can get. Even something as simple as 0.1 VDC difference may mean the difference between starting and not.

Batteries are one of those things that I have a thing for. One of my jobs involved me working around a battery that could power a small town (literally). Seeing a battery pull 20,000 amps was nothing for me. So, I have always tried to teach people a little bit about batteries, what is better or why they need something specific for their vehicles. Now, whether you get an AGM from Walmart or from Exide direct, that really doesn't matter as it probably came off of the same assembly line (just has a different sticker on the outside - take a look at a parts place and notice how all the batteries from the different manufacturers come in the same case, coincidence, I know it isn't). The difference between a $150 and $300 battery is the warrantee. So, are you willing to spend the extra in case the battery is a dud and it goes out in 3 years so you get a new one for free then or are you willing to chance it and have a battery that lasts 8+ years like most AGM batteries will most likely live past?
Great post - thank you. Never even thought about the distance from the battery to the engine vis a vis resistance...! Clever...

Many thanks also to Stuart S and Ralphwg for the important and helpful posts about making sure a new battery is fully charged. Invaluable advice, particulary on these cars. Thank you both.

Last edited by QP7; 10-11-2023 at 10:33 PM.