XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Alack and Alass

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016 | 06:21 PM
|
Unhappy Alack and Alass

You guessed it. T-boned (sort or) by a pickup doing twice the speed limit, according to the insurance guy, and the Green XJ is history. If you have to be smashed by a vehicle twice your size, the XJ is the one to do it in. Plenty of contusions and a very sore rib-cage, but the only issue is my wife, Yvette's, broken femur. It could have been much worse in the "wrong" car. I didn't realize they fixed the femur with a rod inside the bone these days, but she is up and shuffling already, though with the aid of walker. At least for now.

I won't show you what's left of the XJ. It would only make your heart hurt. The insurance guy was surprised anyone survived.

BUT, am now looking for the same thing, only in RED this time (* cyl XJ, 2012 or newer). Anybody know of one in the continental U.S. (or even within 200 miles of central Florida) that's in primo condition and I'd like to hear from you.

In the mean time, my queries and forum time will of necessity be a bit more limited. You have all been fabulous with responses to a rookie Jaguar owner and I look forward to being one again in the immediate future......best to all......

Old 04-16-2016 | 07:04 PM
MHT

Originally Posted by cacamp
You guessed it. T-boned (sort or) by a pickup doing twice the speed limit, according to the insurance guy, and the Green XJ is history. If you have to be smashed by a vehicle twice your size, the XJ is the one to do it in. Plenty of contusions and a very sore rib-cage, but the only issue is my wife, Yvette's, broken femur. It could have been much worse in the "wrong" car. I didn't realize they fixed the femur with a rod inside the bone these days, but she is up and shuffling already, though with the aid of walker. At least for now.

I won't show you what's left of the XJ. It would only make your heart hurt. The insurance guy was surprised anyone survived.

BUT, am now looking for the same thing, only in RED this time (* cyl XJ, 2012 or newer). Anybody know of one in the continental U.S. (or even within 200 miles of central Florida) that's in primo condition and I'd like to hear from you.

In the mean time, my queries and forum time will of necessity be a bit more limited. You have all been fabulous with responses to a rookie Jaguar owner and I look forward to being one again in the immediate future......best to all......
I am sorry to hear about your accident. I wish your wife a full and speedy recovery.

Old 04-17-2016 | 04:08 AM
Veteran member

cacamp, if you don't mind a bit of a drive, there are lots of XJ's up in the Washington DC area. Might make getting the car that you are after a bit easier. Other than that, use all the resources out there and see what you can find.

The following users liked this post:
cacamp (04-18-2016)
Old 04-17-2016 | 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Good to hear you are both safe after your ordeal. As others have mentioned I wish you both a quick recovery.

Cars are just metal and plastic and easily replaced. When you see the accidents that modern cars can endure and compare to those of just ten years ago it really makes you appreciate just how much things have improved. Side impact protection is one area. I have a volunteer firefighter friend who attends a lot of vehicle accidents where occupants are trapped and a side impact at 40mph+ a decade ago would almost always mean broken ribs and limbs. At highway speeds there would be a high chance of fatalities or limb-loss. Reinforcement, crush zones and body-side airbags have made a significant difference.

I dismantled the dash board on an X350 and noted how all the reinforcement was designed to stop the panel buckling down onto your legs in a side impact. I have no idea how they design that sort of thing, but I'm glad there are some very clever people out there who do.

cacamp (04-18-2016)
Old 04-17-2016 | 07:46 PM
Veteran Member

Chris,

Sorry about your accident, and glad that your wife is on the mend. Hopefully, the other driver is insured and that you have a good attorney. As for finding another XJ, the Jaguar USA website includes dealer CPO inventory of all models. I'd look there first, and then search cars.com. Jaguar sells quite a few XJs in Florida, so you might find what you're looking for nearby.

Stuart

cacamp (04-18-2016)
Old 04-21-2016 | 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Chris,

Sorry about your accident, and glad that your wife is on the mend. Hopefully, the other driver is insured and that you have a good attorney. As for finding another XJ, the Jaguar USA website includes dealer CPO inventory of all models. I'd look there first, and then search cars.com. Jaguar sells quite a few XJs in Florida, so you might find what you're looking for nearby.

Stuart
Chris: you won't believe this but my XJL came from Port St. Lucie, FL. And, it was listed on Ebay and I was the high bidder.
Instead of going to FL to pick it up I had the automobile transported in an enclosed trailer to PA--saved a lot of time and trailer cost was VERY reasonable.
This was my first time buying a vehicle without doing a personal inspection, and then having it transported to my home. As Stuart says, there are a lot of ways for shopping around to get your next XJ.

Old 04-25-2016 | 11:12 AM

So sorry to hear that, Chris...man, your story gave me the chills! So were you both in the car and I assume that the impact was on the passenger side? Wow, being hit by a pickup going at twice the speed limit is just SCARY! Speedy recovery to you and your wife and I wish you all the best of luck on finding your replacement car.