Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Very nice indeed...so is the car.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,913 Likes on 3,215 Posts

Has anyone noticed in the Jaguar commercials they are showing an XJ that is plugged in? They show it plugged into a spot right behind the badge on the left front fender. What are your thoughts?

Old 11-28-2019, 07:55 AM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Yep. Saw that plugged in Jag on the Jaguar USA site.. Then i went to find the model for sale that is all electric. Gee, it wasn't there,

I can't wait to buy a Jaguar that's only good for town driving and can't go anywhere in a timely fashion.

Thought about a Tesla S model with a 373 claimed rangee. Figured its range is actually just 80% of 373 miles due to it taking 40 minutes to recharge to 70% charge and then a full hour plus to reach a 100% charge. So if traveling you'd go maybe, and I mean maybe 373 miles then charge to 300 miles the next five times traveling from Tx to northern Ca. That is my case for not owning a all elec car. If you don't travel other than work and back I guess an all electric is ok. Sorta.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hailers:
dga57 (11-29-2019), sgtm7 (12-08-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:36 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

My next new car purchase will definitely be all electric. They are fast, cheap to fuel, and presumably fewer ways to brick it. I will keep my petrol car though too for all the reasons posted above.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 500 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Hailers
............I can't wait to buy a Jaguar that's only good for town driving and can't go anywhere in a timely fashion.

Thought about a Tesla S model with a 373 claimed rangee. Figured its range is actually just 80% of 373 miles due to it taking 40 minutes to recharge to 70% charge and then a full hour plus to reach a 100% charge. So if traveling you'd go maybe, and I mean maybe 373 miles then charge to 300 miles the next five times traveling from Tx to northern Ca. That is my case for not owning an all elec car. If you don't travel other than work and back I guess an all electric is ok. Sorta.
My thoughts, exactly!

Although I haven't made the trip in a while, I used to travel from western New York, to the beaches of South Carolina, on a regular basis. A buddy of mine owned a condo, right across the street from the ocean. The trip was 825 miles each way.

At one point, we owned a Chevy Caprice LTZ, with a fuel injected 350 V-8, as well as a 25 gallon fuel tank. I could go just over 600 miles on a tank of gas, so if I chose to really take a chance, and "stretch it out", I could make the trip on just one stop for gas....a total of 8-10 minutes. In reality I'd need more stops for "bio breaks" than the car would need for gas. We later had a Lincoln LS, which we also took on that trip, a couple of times. The LS actually got about 1 MPG more than the Caprice, but it had a smaller fuel tank, so the cruising range was a few miles less, but probably still within the "1 stop" range, for this trip. If I wanted to, I could, and did, a couple of times, drive it straight through. Total time, including a gas and couple of "bio breaks", was 14 hours overall. Actual driving time was a tad over 13 hours.

Tesla has a "trip planner" website, where you can "plug in" your starting place, your destination, and get a read out that gives you a route that keeps you near to Tesla charging stations. Just for grins, I entered the NY to SC trip. In reality, I was a bit surprised, as the number of stops to recharge were fewer than I expected. However, it still wasn't convenient, as the stops were nowhere evenly spaced out. For instance, the first stop was about 90 minutes from my house, for about 20-25 minutes, as a "top off" to allow you to get to the next charging station. There, you sat for about an hour, and it continued like this for the remainder of the trip, a couple of 20-30 minute stops, then one last 60 minute stop, before arriving in Myrtle Beach. SO, in comparison to an ICE powered car, my example of the trip to MB would still be 13 hours driving time, but about 3 hours, or so, of charging time. In my opinion, that would take it out of the "drive it straight through" category, meaning that you'd be staying overnight, somewhere, dragging the trip into a second day. Also, what really surprised me, is that MB, a huge tourist destination, had only 5-6 Tesla charging stations, and as I recall 2-3 of them were at hotels, and listed as "for guest use only"...…

Old 11-28-2019, 04:06 PM
Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Thank you leadfoot 4. I had no idea the Trip Planner existed. I was justt using a map of all the Super Charger locations and figureing things out from there.

I'm going on that site and see just what I can do using it.

Did the Tesla site Trip Planner.. It took me from Ft Worth to Rohnert Park Ca via I-20......I-10......I-5 then thru SF to Rohnert Park. It took 11 stops for refueling and a total of 35hrs going 1826 miles total. I've done this trip several times b/t 25-26 hrs using a CL550.

Makes me wonder l if they have the Tesla going the posted speed limit of 80mph b/t Pecos and El Paso? Doubt it. edit. I originally wrote post speed limint of 85. Wrong. The only posted 85 mph speed limit in Tx is on state 130 near Austin. Sad. It should be 85 b/t Pecos and El Paso......that's what most people do.

Not advising doing it without stopping, but doable several times in the past. Shorter going via I-40 on this trip as in 1760 miles total. Done that one in a few minutes under 24 hrs.

I suppose that with alllllll those stops and an old fashion clock with alarm in the seat, I could sleep during those stops.

I suppose I'll buy one someday next year.......but it makes no sense buying a 90K buck car to save a few bucks when I already have a decent car that only has 45K on the odometer.

Retired person rambling here.

Last edited by Hailers; 11-28-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MV Rider
I am about as interested in an all electric XJ as I am in flying to the moon on a skateboard.
I have to say, I am far more satisfied with my 2017 XJ Portfolio than my 2018 I-Pace.

The I-Pace has so many software faults it is an embarrassment to take customers in it.

Chewy

Old 12-08-2019, 10:28 PM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Hailers
Yep. Saw that plugged in Jag on the Jaguar USA site.. Then i went to find the model for sale that is all electric. Gee, it wasn't there,

I can't wait to buy a Jaguar that's only good for town driving and can't go anywhere in a timely fashion.

Thought about a Tesla S model with a 373 claimed rangee. Figured its range is actually just 80% of 373 miles due to it taking 40 minutes to recharge to 70% charge and then a full hour plus to reach a 100% charge. So if traveling you'd go maybe, and I mean maybe 373 miles then charge to 300 miles the next five times traveling from Tx to northern Ca. That is my case for not owning a all elec car. If you don't travel other than work and back I guess an all electric is ok. Sorta.
I feel the same way. I am not rich enough to spend the amount of money they will want for that car, for it to be just for driving around town. Plus, the range can be less depending on speed and conditions. They had some guy doing a review of the I-Pace driving in Dubai, and he said the range achieved was about half of the stated range, because of running the AC continuously.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 500 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtm7
I feel the same way. I am not rich enough to spend the amount of money they will want for that car, for it to be just for driving around town. Plus, the range can be less depending on speed and conditions. They had some guy doing a review of the I-Pace driving in Dubai, and he said the range achieved was about half of the stated range, because of running the AC continuously.
I live in the northeastern section of the United States, the area also nicknamed the "snow belt". Yes, as assumed, we get brutally cold winters here, which requires a damned good heater/defroster. Without an ICE, to generate heat, I'll assume that any electric car has to have an electrically powered heater, which, of course drains power, which consumes "available miles". Unexpectedly, however, we also can experience very hot and humid summers, which requires a strong A/C unit, which, as mentioned above, also draws current, which diminishes the driving range.

I'll stick with our ICE, XF, thank you......