XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Alloy Wheels ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 12:51 PM
Received 611 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Alloy Wheels ...

I had an advisory that the rims on my XJ are 'distorted' - I dug deeper and the reality is that three of the rims on the car are welded, they are Kasuga as far as style goes.

I have been poking around for replacements and out of those I have found there are a number that are also 'repaired' aka welded - the question I'm asking therefore is how prone to cracking are the Kasuga and other alloys on the XJ. Two wheel repair places have declined to resolve or even attempt.

The only standard options I can see for the XJ are Amirante, Orona standard or chromed, Mataiva besides the Kasuga in standard or polished form. I have the option of some nice Venoms

I have seen a number of 'aftermarket' rims but I am not inclined to go for any of them - if the Kasuga can distort and crack then the spokes on some of the wheels I have seen are way too thin for comfort.

Are Kasuga's prone to 'self harm' ? - 9J and 10J is a lot of rim given the spokes on the outer edge, is it worth replacing the lot or just tracking down Kasuga's ?

Old 01-30-2023, 01:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Just today i have found, that one of my rims - 19" Aleutian were also welded by previous owner. So questioon is if that is the problem of rims model, or just the dimentions and tyre sizes overall. If the cracks occure on the inside border of the rim, so spoke number o size won't have any difference for it.
As for me, i would use Amirante, if it goes for changing all rims. this gives clean, massive and classical look. Which wont age with time.

Old 01-30-2023, 01:37 PM

Inside border also on mine - where there is no spoke support so I'm presuming these things flex on the inside or overall as a result of only being supported on the outside it wouldn't take much to shock one of the rims either given the tyre width, I will have a look but haven't seen any Amirante for sale yet but I will be replacing at least 3, econimics right now say 4 may be a better option

Old 01-31-2023, 07:51 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

I replaced the two bent wheels on mine with these rotary forged Coventry wheels. I bought them from Discount tire but Car ID and other people sell them. They use the stock lug nuts and stock center caps and I paid around $1800 for them and sold the stock wheels to a company near Chicago. I also replaced the wheels on my Corvette Grand Sport when they all cracked. Wide cast wheels on performance cars are a liability.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:01 AM

I think cast rims past a certain width are a liability so I totally agree with that, especially with the state of some roads, every 'used' set of 'Kasuga' wheels that I have found is showing signs of welding / cracking or distortion, so replacing with like for like is simply kicking the can down the road. I have looked at so many rims this last few days and a lot of them look even weaker than the Jaguar items - a clear case of form over function.

I will see what I can find in the forged domain, there seems to be a limited offering though with the 5x108 PCD and appropriate offsets and width