XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Annoyed at constant Alloys being scuffed (19" Toba)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
with new Nitto tires if anyone wants to upgrade their 19"s. $1500 + shipping.

The best way not to ever curb your wheels is to use a feature you've already paid for...the parking assist system. When you align the white stripe along the side of the curb, it makes scraping an impossibility. I never guess as to how close I am to the curb, ever. I simply look at the monitor and trust what the camera is showing me.

Am I missing something here?
To my best knowledge the camera is no help when you pull forward next to a curb, which is how I curbed my front wheel. It only activates on backup.

BTW - great deal on those wheels/tires.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
To my best knowledge the camera is no help when you pull forward next to a curb, which is how I curbed my front wheel. It only activates on backup.

BTW - great deal on those wheels/tires.
I think if you press the parking assist button (up by the pano roof button), the monitor will display at any time. Generally people only scrape rims as they get used to their new car, after a few months, you should get a feel for the width of your car.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 02-06-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I think if you press the parking assist button (up by the pano roof button), the monitor will display at any time.
I may be wrong here but, if I press that button I only get the proximity sensors for the front and not the camera. It would indeed be sweet if the camera could turn on in the forward direction. I am pretty certain that is possible in the F-type.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:52 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

.............. Am I missing something here?
YES - you are missing the bar on Advertising in the tech forums.

Graham

Old 02-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Hmmm... those look pretty cheesy to me. I think I'd just rather get my wheels refinished every other year!!
I personally wouldn't go for the extravagantly coloured ones, black or silver won't look cheesy they are hard to notice. Getting alloys repaired/refinished is quite costly every year.

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Thanks for the info. I went online and found "Rimskins" a rubber polymer based product rather than plastic, made in Australia, available in a variety of colors, including grey/silver to match alloy wheels. They cover existing damage, and prevent further damage. In the U.S. they retail for $59.95 plus tax and shipping.
No probs, thats what I'm thinking the cost of those rim protectors is about 25% the cost of getting all 4 alloys repaired and they protect the most commonly scuffed parts. Also a great way of hiding current scuffs, though I'm thinking I might still pay for a one-off repair then after that, get them protected

Originally Posted by axr6
If I had a choice I would use 55 or even 60 series tires on my sedans and, perhaps 50s on my XKR. Unfortunately, market forces demand that the manufacturers keep increasing the wheel sizes/decreasing the tire sidewall sizes. It is not possible to retrofit cars with higher profile tires because the required smaller diameter wheels would not fit over the larger brake calipers.
Yeh I think if mine were 55s rather than 45s it would be enough to protect them, damn fashion.

EDITED by GGG to remove advert

The best way not to ever curb your wheels is to use a feature you've already paid for...the parking assist system. When you align the white stripe along the side of the curb, it makes scraping an impossibility. I never guess as to how close I am to the curb, ever. I simply look at the monitor and trust what the camera is showing me.

Am I missing something here?
I am extra careful but I don't have the luxury of a front camera on mine, so when I reverse park I'm ok and I can see the distance from any kerbs, but driving into multi story car parks and parking into gaps infront of me are very difficult to judge. I risk scraping, or leaving huge gaps on the side from the kerb.

The following users liked this post:
johndahlheimer (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Ok so seems to have moved along some, so I'll add my point of view on this.

Again, just my opinion, but I think that no matter what colour they come in those rim protectors are VERY noticeable to anyone with an eye for a good, clean looking car and really don't do it for me at all.
A beautifully kept clean car with clean rims and these will stand out a mile.

Yes tyrewalls have got smaller with the advent of low profile tyres.

Bear in mind we're talking about rim protectors here, I've heard a few people talk about potholes, which are a common issue. Rim protectors are not going to help in that case, a pothole of any size hit at any speed will still cause damage.

Whatever size tyre you buy you can usually buy different makes and they will differ in terms of incorporated rim protection, either they'll have it or they won't.

Moving on from that, when driving simply take care and avoid kerbs at all costs!
If that means you are not sure, then reverse and move forward again until you are SURE you will miss the kerb.......I honestly don't see that its that difficult?

Albeit you may still have the odd or occasional slight damage but it should be lessened over time until non existent

Again, just my 2c worth......

Old 02-06-2015, 11:32 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

I scuffed my XJL wheels negotiating my car through my local bank facility. Why they have such tall curbing immediately adjacent the bank teller's window is beyond my comprehension, but here in the southern portion of the U.S., tall curbs are everywhere, as are enormous speed mounds or bumps in parking lots and roadways.

I also have a C6 Corvette fitted with ground effects that is also prone to damage everywhere I travel in this part of the country. Most of the locals drive around in pick-up trucks, or large SUV's, and these obstacles don't seem to bother them.

Our northern whites have an average I.Q. of 106 whereas southern whites have an average I.Q. of 98, which is reflected in all things, like their driving habits (seventh worst out of fifty states in North Carolina where I now live), and excessive curb and speed bump heights.

Regardless it is all worthwhile to no longer live up north where 20 to 75 inches (0.5 to 1.9 meters) of snow accumulation is commonplace, where I had to keep my Corvette locked-up in my garage three months of the year, and where cars were never clean due to salt. sand, and melted dirty snow spray for one-third of the year.

Why did I ever live up North? Well, where I lived (New Hampshire), average income was one-third higher, the cost of living was 7.5% lower, property crimes 35.5% lower, and violent crimes 17.6% lower. The highways were in far better conditions (although secondary roads were not due to "frost heaves", especially in the Spring). And the lakes, mountains, skiing, and Fall foliage were magnificent.

And, you didn't scuff your wheels!

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 02-07-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Again, just my opinion, but I think that no matter what colour they come in those rim protectors are VERY noticeable to anyone with an eye for a good, clean looking car and really don't do it for me at all.
A beautifully kept clean car with clean rims and these will stand out a mile.
Yeh with a closer look they do stand out, I find the silver/black ones blend into the alloy/tyre best when looking from a distance, though if you look within half a foot of the tyre you can see them clearly, but from anyone standing up and looking at them, it is hard to notice:

http://wheelprotection.co.uk/wp-cont...ctor-Black.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps3d2ca7f4.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...r_2561781b.jpg

I think the black ones are probably the best, though they will "eat into" the low profile look of your tyre but only by around 1cm/10mm.

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
I scuffed my XJL wheels negotiating my car through my local bank facility. Why they have such tall curbing immediately adjacent the bank teller's window is beyond my comprehension, but here in the southern portion of the U.S., tall curbs are everywhere, as are enormous speed mounds or bumps in parking lots and roadways.
In the UK, there is a legal limit on how tall a kerb can be, its not very tall but scuffing still happens Here is an example:

http://www.radharcimages.com/gallery...etty_RF_91.jpg

Old 02-07-2015, 01:51 PM
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Consoder yourself "told"

Originally Posted by retromotors
Let me see if I have this right.

You are "annoyed" that your automobile, whilst being operated by yourself, had the absolute audacity to scuff all four of its wheels within six months of ownership?

An obvious defect in the car, right! What a piece of sh**!
I would contact Jaguar warranty dept. and my barrister/lawyer immediately (and not necessarily in that order.)

Man, you guys are a kick in the butt!
I obviously predate the current fascination for hideous "clown car" wheels and rubber band tires by at least several decades, but that doesn't really change the basic concept.
In my era, the first thing that contacted the curb/kerb if you got too close was the tire ... and if you were one of the fortunate and/or rich kids it was right in the middle of your lovingly maintained wide whitewalls.
I can't think of anyone who wouldn't hurry to repair or at least hide the damage before anyone saw it. The shame!
If you had the utter ***** to whine about it, it would only take a nanosecond for someone (or more likely several someones) to tell you to learn to freakin' drive!

Then again, we didn't have important stuff like incoming texts to worry about.

Maybe curb feelers will come back in style:

Retro

Wow! What a scold! The guy's merely asking. He's in search of a solution; if you don't have one . . . . . . . .??????

The following 2 users liked this post by KingFala:
apachegogo (02-07-2015), johndahlheimer (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by KingFala
Wow! What a scold! The guy's merely asking. He's in search of a solution; if you don't have one . . . . . . . .??????
OK, I backed out of this discussion once, so as not to cause any additional crap. Apparently that wasn't good enough.

The OP clearly stated that he had scuffed all his ghetto wheels in the first 6 months of ownership. Not on potholes .... on curbs/kerbs. Oh my, what can be done?

I merely pointed out that the obvious solution was to do a little better job of piloting the vehicle. At least, obvious to me .... but then again I don't belong to one of the "entitled" generations. Hard as it must be for some of you to believe, at one time it was quite common for for people to actually take responsibility for their own actions and choices.

I'm gonna go off now to one of the more adult sections of the forum. Good luck to you all in your quest for an answer. I'm sure you'll get it all worked out.
Once you do, maybe next you could figure out something to do about that pesky gravity. I know it's annoyed hell out of me several times in the past.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hey there, not sure if you picked up on my comments about tyres with rim protection and those without?

Please see below, this tyre WITH rim protection

This tyre WITHOUT rim protection.

Its quite some difference and can vary from tyre to tyre, worth bearing in mind when you look at new tyres perhaps?

I could be wrong , but I think that if you have these Dunlop's there should already be a degree of rim protection built in, as in the first pic

XJL (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Just noticed my wife just scratched her left rear rim pretty good. Don't know how she scraped that side since we in the USA drive on the correct side! I'm really not going to worry about it too much. I'm sure she will nail the other rims soon. When it comes time for tires, I might have the lip on the rims machined down and put a red painted stripe on the lip. Similar to the red stripe rims on the Camaro 21" rims. That way, when she does it again, I will just touch it up with Testers red paint.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Hey there, not sure if you picked up on my comments about tyres with rim protection and those without?

Please see below, this tyre WITH rim protection

Its quite some difference and can vary from tyre to tyre, worth bearing in mind when you look at new tyres perhaps?

I could be wrong , but I think that if you have these Dunlop's there should already be a degree of rim protection built in, as in the first pic
Thanks yeh, those in the image above look like they have far better built in rim protection than the ones I currently own. Mines are Dunlop Sport Maxx GT. But are pretty much flat flush against the alloy. I will certainly consider this when changing them as they are down to 3ish mill now. Thanks.

I merely pointed out that the obvious solution was to do a little better job of piloting the vehicle. At least, obvious to me .... but then again I don't belong to one of the "entitled" generations. Hard as it must be for some of you to believe, at one time it was quite common for for people to actually take responsibility for their own actions and choices.
LOL

Folks according to retromotors, next time you have an issue with your car, its your fault, there is no better solution than drive it better. (slow clap)

Old 02-09-2015, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by apachegogo

LOL
Folks according to retromotors, next time you have an issue with your car, its your fault, there is no better solution than drive it better. (slow clap)
When the "issue" you have with your car is caused by you driving it into immovable objects ... yes. In fact, it's the only solution, when you think about it.
Then again, that would require you to think. Apparently not one of your strong suits.
You may now continue your whinefest.

Last edited by retromotors; 02-09-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:50 PM

When the "issue" you have with your car is caused by you driving it into immovable objects ... yes. In fact, it's the only solution, when you think about it.
Then again, that would require you to think. Apparently not one of your strong suits.
You may now continue your whinefest.
Only solution? Then why do manufacturers create built in rim protection like Jim posted? Why do companies create rim protector rubbers which you can put on?

(slow clap continues)

Old 02-09-2015, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by apachegogo
Only solution? Then why do manufacturers create built in rim protection like Jim posted? Why do companies create rim protector rubbers which you can put on?

(slow clap continues)
So basically you're asking why do companies make products for people who are incapable of operating their vehicle without running into stuff?
The obvious answer is that there's so damn many of you out there!

Last edited by retromotors; 02-09-2015 at 03:10 PM.
johndahlheimer (02-09-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 6,336 Likes on 5,521 Posts

I think we will draw a line there, just to protect you all from yourselves.

The following 6 users liked this post by Norri:
Angus (02-10-2015), Big Dipstick (02-28-2015), JimC64 (02-10-2015), johndahlheimer (02-09-2015), Panthro (04-30-2017), xjb (02-10-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)