XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Any aftermarket alternatives to the OEM tailpipe finishers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 05:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Any aftermarket alternatives to the OEM tailpipe finishers?

Like the title says, any aftermarket alternatives to the OEM tailpipe finishers?

I went to the parts counter at my dealership to check the price and they're $800CAD. That's a lot of money IMO for slip ons.

Anyone use another setup that's more aggressive than the stock oval pipes and not as aggressive on the wallet?

Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

I would think some enterprising individual or firm could produce a center divider that could be fitted into the standard OEM tailpipe finishers that would produce the same "quad" look as the optional Jaguar finishers.
Constructed out of a flat polished stainless steel sheet metal form folded over on itself (around a rod to produce the correct exterior radius), each center divider would be held in place by opposing tabs, two top and two bottom, which would provide a spring loaded frictional fit to hold the dividers firmly inside the stock finishers. The right hand divider would be a mirror image, rather than identical to the left hand divider.
I would estimate manufacturing cost at $5.00 - $10.00 each using water jet fabrication of each flat form, and use of a simple sheet metal brake to fold them over on themselves to resemble a taco shell, perhaps then spot welded or epoxy glued together for added structural rigidity.
I think they could be easily be sold for $50.00 to $100.00 each, or $99.95 to $195.00 a pair, some 1/4 to 1/8th the cost of the current Jaguar accessory finishers; would be no more difficult to install, and equally attractive.
I am a retired design engineering manager of an international automotive supplier and have been awarded fifteen U.S. patents. I would be glad to provide precision templates, and required engineering assistance for ~$7,500.00 US (plus any travel and/or out-of-pocket expenses) to anyone wishing to pursue this.