XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Any known issues with throttle stickage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any known issues with throttle stickage?

Had a very unnerving experience in the kitty today (2011xj sc).

The throttle hung upon accelerating from a red light. Fought it with the brake for a couple os seconds, then turned the knob to neutral. Shifted back to D and all was normal. All driving/transmition settings were normal (no dynamic mode or paddle shifting) when the event occurred. Thought it might be peddle hung in floormat, but floormat was still in its hooks.

Any known issues with this?

Could have had bad consequences if my wife had been behind the wheel.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Nothing reported on this forum AFAIK, but there's always a first time ! If it happens again, its trip-to-dealer time.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I have had a issue on both my old 2001 XJR and only twice on my 3012 SuperSport where the trans has "hung" in first in the morning and shifting as you did to neutral and back to drive will take me back to normal. The dealer never found any codes on my old Cat and so I chalk it up to the nature of the breed.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

On the 2011 it's "drive by wire" I think, same as my STR. Like mine it almost for sure has 2 sensors for the accelerator pedal (APP, maybe known as APP1 & APP2) and 2 to check the throttle position (known collectively as TPS but they're really TPS1 & TPS2). Each pair of sensors are different with different resistance curves so that the PCM can cross-check that they're working. You get codes any time they're not and a limp home kind of result too.

The throttle probably is heated to prevent icing, which otherwise is a potential cause of sticking.

It's very hard to see how this can fail other than with codes and limp home.

I think you should report it direct to Jaguar corporate so that they can collect statistics. If they see a pattern (more than 1 person, for sure) then they can start trying to diagnose & fix it. Don't bother with a dealer as they're franchises and unlikely to report it

There's a member Mike@Jaguar you might try, too.

About the only common item is the PCM so this would probably be a software bug and if so needs fixing.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

The last thing i would do is wait for it to happen again. Take it to the dealer and have them check the car out so it can be prevented from happening again.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
It's very hard to see how this can fail other than with codes and limp home.

I think you should report it direct to Jaguar corporate so that they can collect statistics. If they see a pattern (more than 1 person, for sure) then they can start trying to diagnose & fix it. Don't bother with a dealer as they're franchises and unlikely to report it

There's a member Mike@Jaguar you might try, too.

As far as "limping home" goes:

I have only had this car a couple of months, and I don't really treat it as a performance car, and I haven't really given close attention to its characteristics as such until after this happened.

However, since Saturday, I have paid closer attention and noticed that the torque curve between 1st and 2nd does not seem as consistent as I would expect. In essence, the car seems to be restrained through first gear, and then comes to life when it shifts to second. The same is true for both regular and dynamic modes. (I haven't tooled with winter or sport modes to see what the response is there).

To be sure, I use the term "restrained" loosely, as the 1st gear acceleration is still plenty adequate for any driving situation, it just seems much less aggressive than subsequent gears all things held equal.

Not sure if this qualifies as "limping" or if it is even apart from the proper performance of the car.

Also, what is the procedure for contacting "Jaguar Corporate" to report the issue?

Thanks for the responses.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

I guess Contact Us or the like on their web site. I expect they have phone numbers too which you could find if web site no good.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. So I can pass this on to the relevant person please can you PM me the following details:
Full Name
Email
VIN
Dealership

Many Thanks

Mike

Originally Posted by rawdeal
Had a very unnerving experience in the kitty today (2011xj sc).

The throttle hung upon accelerating from a red light. Fought it with the brake for a couple os seconds, then turned the knob to neutral. Shifted back to D and all was normal. All driving/transmition settings were normal (no dynamic mode or paddle shifting) when the event occurred. Thought it might be peddle hung in floormat, but floormat was still in its hooks.

Any known issues with this?

Could have had bad consequences if my wife had been behind the wheel.