XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Anyone drive their new XJ in snow yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I found that I did not like driving the car on snow and in wintery conditions. And I learned driving in the Bavarian Mountains with mostly real wheel driven cars.
I am not saying that the XJ has bad winter performance. With good tires is is acceptable. But if winter performance is an important part of the purchasing decision, I would not choose the XJ. I LOVE the XJ but in winter conditions I opt to drive one of my other cars. Just my 2 cents.

The following users liked this post:
Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I would suggest just getting a SUV for the winter time. I am aware it has a winter mode but I see it more a a sports car and as such put it away for the winter.

The following 2 users liked this post by ExpatJag:
leadfoot4 (10-20-2021), Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that I would make sure I had an SUV or some sort of 4WD in snowy climates. Our other car is a Land Rover LR3 and this really helps in the winter time. On a related note, I thought everyone would get a kick out of the attached photo. When we had the huge winter storm in Chicago when many motorists were stranded on Lake Shore Drive, I was able to get home safely but could not fully pull into my driveway (the Land Rover was in the garage). My XJSC was stuck near the curb overnight before our plow service arrived the next day. The car was buried. I have never seen so much snow surrounding a car!

Attached Thumbnails Anyone drive their new XJ in snow yet?-img_0015.jpg  
Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default looking for opinions on XJL snow tire set up

I realize it is spring but I just traded my XFSC in for a base XJL and have been doing some research for next winter. I did not drive the XFSC in winter but I am planning on driving the XJL all winter. I live in Michigan so snow tires will be necessary. I want a wheel/tire package to avoid the extra step and wear of mounting tires twice a year. Here are the options I have found:

Barmats previous post - BBS wheels ($1,720) and 245/45/19 Blizzaks ($984) from tire rack.

OEM Tobia wheels - I have found some of these for sale in the after market for about $2,000 for a set of 4. The dealer wants $4,400 for a new set, so forget that. Pirelli winter Sotozero tires in OEM size ($1,288 from tire rack).

So, the OEM/Pirelli set up would be about $500 more than the BBS set up but would maintain the look of the wider rear tires. Pirelli is the only choice for a winter tire set up in this size so if they stop making them I could be screwed.

The BBS set up has the advantage of more winter tire choices (Blizzaks, Michelin, Pirelli) and is a little cheaper.

I am looking for some feedback. Are there any performance issues with using the smaller than OEM wheels? I would hate to go with that option and find out it caused some problems with traction control or something weird like that.

BTW, I love the XJL!

Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't recommend a staggered setup for winter tires - this can cause stability issues in snow especially with a wider tire footprint at the rear. You'll also save some $$ keeping the rear tires the same width as the front ones.

There was a recent post from someone advertising wheel and tire prices - may be worth looking at. The BBS setup worked extremely well for me this winter, and looked pretty good. I had several compliments on the wheels from my friends. I ended up using 30 mm spacers on the rear to achieve the same offset/look as the stock rear rims, and overall was very pleased with the performance in snow. We had record snowfalls here in Dec and Jan so it was definitely put to the test.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Barmats:
Jaggy (05-12-2011), Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I can't say I know anything about snow tires (since it never snows here ) but you need to remember that the brake rotors and calipers are fairly large so a smaller wheel may not fit.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by another_geek
I can't say I know anything about snow tires (since it never snows here ) but you need to remember that the brake rotors and calipers are fairly large so a smaller wheel may not fit.
Very true and something to keep in mind. My dealer did several test fits with different wheels before they found one that cleared. Make sure that wherever you buy your wheels from they have either done a test fit or can guarantee they will clear. When I bought mine last fall, Tire Rack and Discount Tire had NO experience with this model - that may have changed now, and may be worth a call.

It is sometimes possible to downsize (-1 or -2) for a winter wheel setup and there are usually cost-savings for the winter tires (I don't think this would work on any of the XJs due to caliper size). It's important to remember to keep the overall diameter the same as stock so there's no odo/speedo error. The only way you'd run into stability or traction control issues is if you run different diameters on the fronts vs the rears. Definitely not recommended.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Default BBS Wheels

Thanks Barmats - that is a good point about the staggered wheels in snow. Narrower tires probably help in snow too. Tire Rack still does not have any wheel options on their website. I called and gave them the part number for the BBS wheel that you mentioned in your earlier post to get a price.

Where did you find the spacers & do you have a part number? I am leaning toward the BBS. I agree that they look really nice on your XJL. I have called my dealer about wheel options but the person I spoke with was pretty clueless.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jaggy
Thanks Barmats - that is a good point about the staggered wheels in snow. Narrower tires probably help in snow too. Tire Rack still does not have any wheel options on their website. I called and gave them the part number for the BBS wheel that you mentioned in your earlier post to get a price.

Where did you find the spacers & do you have a part number? I am leaning toward the BBS. I agree that they look really nice on your XJL. I have called my dealer about wheel options but the person I spoke with was pretty clueless.
You're correct in that narrower tires provide better performance in snow, especially if it's deep snow. The wheels and spacers were purchased from my dealer so I don't have a part number for the spacers. However, I can tell you that the correct spacer size to achieve the same approximate offset provided by the stock rear setup was about 30 mm. I hope this helps.

My car is the XJ, not an XJL. I don't think it makes a difference, but I think the Supercharged models have larger calipers so my wheel may not fit on that model.

Jaggy (05-13-2011)
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM
pwl
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The car is a joke in the snow. If you are someone like me, who does not have time to be swapping out tires every winter, do not get this car. Winter mode does nothing except start it in 2nd gear. It's not just the tires, but the weight distribution that make the car downright dangerous in the snow. This is another reason why this is an old man's car. Younger guys just don't have time to swap out tires. In fact, they like to do as little maintenance on the car as possible. Expect sales to dip over the next year as the younger males buyers back off from this experiment.

And for all those comments of "what did you expect", well you would expect much more than this. This is not an AMG or M. It is marketed to compete with a S or 7 series, and while no rear wheel drive does as good in the snow, those two do not have the same level of pathetic peformance in the snow as the XJ.

Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 05-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl
The car is a joke in the snow. If you are someone like me, who does not have time to be swapping out tires every winter, do not get this car. Winter mode does nothing except start it in 2nd gear. It's not just the tires, but the weight distribution that make the car downright dangerous in the snow. This is another reason why this is an old man's car. Younger guys just don't have time to swap out tires. In fact, they like to do as little maintenance on the car as possible. Expect sales to dip over the next year as the younger males buyers back off from this experiment.

And for all those comments of "what did you expect", well you would expect much more than this. This is not an AMG or M. It is marketed to compete with a S or 7 series, and while no rear wheel drive does as good in the snow, those two do not have the same level of pathetic peformance in the snow as the XJ.
Well PWL you should get you another car if you are too busy to change your tires every winter. There is a whole country named Germany that does it and that includes young people too. They do make these things call all-season while not as good as winter tires they are better than summer performance which are NOT MADE FOR SNOW AT ALL.

And there is a reason it drives different than a S or 7 series and its because its sportier hence the summer performance tires. All I am saying is don't blame the car because of something YOU choose not to do. That's like saying my BMW sucks because it lets rain through the sunroof when I have it open and cant be too bothered to close it. It should sense water like the Mercedes does and close it's self.

Last edited by ExpatJag; 07-13-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What about that Spyder spin on traction system Jag sells? Basically slip on chains? Would that help?

And there are several others from Europe as well.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a quick heads up for you guys that may be interested in a set of winter OEM wheels and tires. I can do a set of 19" Aleutian wheels with new TPMS sensors and Pirelli Winter SottoZero 240 tires mounted and balanced for $3159.86 shipped. This IS a staggered fitment, which is what Jaguar recommends for snow applications. The wheels are currently in stock and the tires I can have in my hands in 3 working days.

Let me know!

Jaggy (06-06-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twotone
Just curious if anyone had the opportunity to drive a new XJ in snow. Neither tirerack or discounttiresdirect list winter tires for either the 19" or 20" wheels. I realize it's not a winter car, but someone must make winter tires in that size.

Thanks in advance!

Twotone
I think you can't drive with summer tires on snow you need to change them.

Lucielle (10-22-2021)
Old 07-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Has anyone tried the Spyder Traks on the summer tires?

Old 01-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Barmats
I have 19" Blizzak LM-60 winter tires mounted on a dedicated set of BBS rims and it's been very good in the snow. We've had a record snowfall here in MN this month, and I drive the XJ about 70 miles to and from work every day. The electronic nannies do a great job of keeping things straight, and the only real shortcoming is acceleration on snow or ice when pulling into traffic. On the plus side, I can stop much faster than most vehicles equipped with all-season tires, including my wife's new BMW 535xi GT.

There are no wheels available yet from Tire Rack or Discount Tire that are known to fit this vehicle, but I'm sure that will eventually change. My only option was to go through the dealer, but the price for OEM 19" wheels with the Blizzaks and TPMS was almost $6k, which I didn't want to pay. They spent a couple of days trying various wheel combinations and found a BBS wheel that cleared the calipers and cost a few thousand less overall. So I'm running a non-staggered set now with 245/45/19s on the front and rear. Because the rear wheel is narrower than the OEM rear wheel by 1", and the tire is slightly narrower, its tucked in a bit more than I would like (about 1-2"). This wheel is not available in a different offset, so the dealer is working with me to install rear wheel spacers to push it out a bit.

Overall, I find the XJ to be quite stable and capable in the snow, assuming you're rolling on good rubber. A full tank of gas also helps!
Great news on finding a 19" to fit!
Would you post the exact BBS wheel with offset that you used and maybe a pic?
I see that your model is an XJ.
Does anyone know if the rotor diameters and calipers are different on a Supercharged?

Old 01-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Thule K-Summit Low-Profile Passenger Car Snow Chain, Size K45

Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Default OEM snow setup

I ended up purchasing a set of oem rims with Pirelli Sotozero 240's from Nalley Jag (who posts on here) at a significant discount from what my local dealer was asking. Of course, since I was prepared for winter we have had hardly any snow this year in Michigan. I have had a few chances to drive my XJL in moderate snow and ice and have been happy with the results. No really deep snow or major storms yet. For normal winter conditions the car performs well with this set-up and I could drive confidently. I'm still waiting for the big storm. Nalley Jag was great to deal with btw.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pwl

haha let me correct you. I am 23 years old. own a XJ-L Supercharged White on Beige. Blacked out, 22's for summer customed. and Currently driving in the winter as we speak. not for young guys? haha are you kidding me? people glare at my car and take pictures ? young guys dont have time really? what do you have time for then...? also i owned 3 amgs. ML63, S63, CL65 all 2008. Let me correct you once again. my XJ-L pulls harder then my S63. i also drove my S63 in the winter which didnt have snow mode. So does snow mode help CORRECT. if you havent owned the cars you speak of dont give an opinion

The following 2 users liked this post by Skforza:
AyyVlogs (01-04-2018), Dochands (01-26-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Well pwl is BACK!! You are as negative as you've ever been. Go back into hibernation.

Quick Reply: Anyone drive their new XJ in snow yet?