XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Anyone's Roof still popping?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by splatter88
Hi STUART,

It was Pentland Perth (same group as Edinburgh) If you ring them up (01738 500658) and ask for Graeme Johnstone, He's the service manager, Explain the problem and if you want mention me Mark Findlater and my reg C2 UOL he should remember it as it was only late November last year that thay did it. It is a kit that's ordered in and put on, All I know is it at least contains neoprene washers and bolts, there may be more to it though.

I have seen on the other .co.uk forum that some people have put vaseline on the runners & mechanism and has stoped the noise, so it might be worth giving that a go first, as your out of warranty you may be charged for them to fix it.

From what I understand the glass or mechanism needs to float as I think it rubs against (whatever) when the car flexs going along the road.

I guess if you think of it like an creaking door, If you put the likes of grease/vaseline on the hinges it stops the creaking. And in the case of the kit the neoprene washers do a similar job (I think). That's my theory but who knows.

Hope that it helps in some way.

Mark.

Hello Mark,
I have a similar problem with my 2011 model,the first fix (Field Service Action K117H) having been carried out in March 2012. I am in contact with the Jaguar Customer Relations Centre, having first been to my local Jaguar dealer, who agree the noise is there, and have quoted me part of the latest? Jaguar Technical Bulletin issued in July 2014 (JTB 00368??). This is an extract from their email:-
There is now also a Technical Bulletin released in July 2014 for –

‘creaking noises during driving from the panoramic roof centre area, only when opening panel is in the closed position, during vehicle torsional inputs. This bulletin is a potential addition to work described in campaign K117 as this particular concern will normally occur whilst driving over undulations in the road, such as, but not exclusively – drain covers, traffic calming measures and uneven road surfaces, with the roof panel closed’

This bulletin instructs to carry out certain modifications to the existing panel to help alleviate contact/movement within the mechanism.

As this operation would not have been a warranty situation after the expiration of the new car warranty I cannot tell if this has already been carried out by another or indeed your selling dealer.

As you can see the dealer is not willing to carry out any work FoC, hence my contact with the CRC.

One stumbling block seems to be that although it has a full accredited Jaguar service history (I checked myself), because I bought the car outside of the Jaguar dealer network there I some reluctance to do anything, indeed the dealer is suggesting to the CRC that he would need to dismantle the headlining etc. "for investigation" at my cost, prior to trying the Jaguar approved fix in the JTB!!

I note your car is a 2010 model which was only finally fixed at the end of 2014. Could you tell me if it was done under warranty/as goodwill by Jaguar?

Regards,
John

Old 03-10-2015, 04:59 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi John,

It was done under warranty. I bought the car from Pentland Perth in May last year and as it was an Jaguar approved used car it came with 1 year warranty.

I would say as it's a known problem it should be fixed for free. But I will admit it's gray area when it's comes to if you should pay for them to investigate it first. I think CRC should press the dealer to get it all done at no cost to you as it's not fair for an owner to pay for a manufacturer problem.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Thanks Mark,
I have been to the dealer again today, and the CRC say they will come back to me tomorrow. I'll post again with an outcome......
Regards,
John

The following users liked this post:
splatter88 (03-11-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

They spent over 4000 euro and replaced my whole roof which included both sunroofs and all the mounting hardware. No popping now but lets see how long this last.

splatter88 (03-23-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 02:20 PM

I have a 2012 xjl and am getting more of a knocking from up in the roof near the rear window when the car goes over bumps or when I drive it over undulations that put torque on the body. It sounds to me like something has broken loose. I've had it into the dealer at least 4 times. They replaced the rear suspension on both sides, and did something with the roof last time.

This last time they pulled the headliner and rode around in the car. They still heard the noise, so they released and re-torqued all the bolts holding the sunroof in, then replaced the headliner clips.

Service mgr called me and said it was better, but the noise wasn't completely gone and that if it persisted he would need to refer me to a "body shop." Also said he called Jaguar and they said it (1) wasn't a warranty issue because it was body noise, and (2) was "within normal limits."

Needless to say, this really pisses me off. I thought about simply demanding they replace the entire roof section, but honestly the service mgr is a straight-up guy, it's a good dealership, and I'd wager that he's truly just relaying what Jag USA told him. However, this is completely unacceptable to me! No other luxury brand would deem an obvious problem with their flagship vehicle "unfixable." This will sadly be my last Jag, but I just bought a house I'm renovating, and I don't have the inclination to dump more money into a car right now.

Any suggestions as to how to get in touch with Jag USA to make some noise about this, and what the problem might be, I'd appreciate it. As I said, it's more of a knocking or clunking as if something is loose - not a popping sound like in the YouTube videos posted above

Old 04-08-2015, 03:15 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Roof popping concern

Hi jafine21

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to learn of the concerns that you are experiencing with your vehicle, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience and frustration that my have been caused.

I would be happy to request that you be contacted by Jaguar North America to assist you further and would be grateful if you could provide me with the following details via PM.

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant repairing Jaguar retailer

Once I have this information, I will forward this to our Global Team who will request that you are contacted by Jaguar North America for further assistance.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Ryan

Old 04-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My glass roof was never fixed! Thank god my 2012 XJL was a lease. The dealer when I took it back in February said there was no way they would buy the car for resale. The nightmare of a car went back to Jaguar and I feel bad for the person that purchases that car. No more loud moon roof, squeaky drivers seat, speaker covers that rattled, the car not knowing where the fob was (would not lock sometimes with fob outside the car), speakers that worked when they wanted to (no matter how many times the car was restarted it would work when it wanted to), airbag light would come up on the virtual gauges (replaced once, software updates), low battery warning (cable replaced, still would give warning), being stuck outside the car in the winter not being able to open the doors, and finally being trapped inside the car in the winter, ramming the drivers and passengers doors with my shoulder to get out the passengers side door after not being able to crawl out the window!! I have video's and uploaded a few to youtube, sent the link to Jaguar North America. They were no help and could care less, along with the horrible servicing dealer. Not what you expect for an $86,000 car!! I gave up on trying to fix the issues and told myself it is going back soon!! The service manager at the dealer told me "that it is a very expensive and complex car, deal with it!" Last Jag I will lease or buy ever.....

Ps it is a Beautiful looking car!!

Last edited by nate2000; 04-09-2015 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added text
Old 04-10-2015, 08:54 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Roof poping

I feel your pain. I had a2012 Jaguar xjl. Beuatiful car. Midnight black. Absolutely loved the car. However I made the painful decision to trade it in last year for an Audi A8L. Roof rattled popped since day one. Had it so called fixed 6 different times. Jaguar North America got involved each time and declared it fixed. However a couple of weeks after each fix the noises came back. Plus I had the rattling squeaky dash fixed twice. I was lucky to get $50,000 for it 1 year ago with only 16,000 miles. Like you never again will I buy Jaguar again as it was my first Jaguar and absolutely my last. And I know someone bought the car and I feel sorry for them. It amazes me that Jaguar keeps selling this car. And please don't tell me there is a fix for it. It was a design flaw.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:59 PM

Well I thought they had fixed it. They apparently pulled the headliner, retorqued all the bolts, and put it back together. Three days of blissful silence, and then it started popping again. Really effing disappointed.

Send my info to Ryan, hope he can help me

Old 04-14-2015, 04:41 PM

I cannot send a PM for some reason. Probably not enough posts. Is there another way to contact Jaguar without revealing my personal information here?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

This is tooken for the uk website:

OWNERS:
Customer Relationship Centre
Abbey Road
Whitley
Coventry
CV3 4LF

T 0345 303 2303

OPENING HOURS:

Monday: Friday: 8.30am – 5.30pm
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed
Bank Holidays: Closed

JLR SPECIAL OPERATIONS ENQUIRIES:

T 0203 601 1544

or you could try this: (from the usa website)

Phone

1-800-4-JAGUAR
1-800-452-4827
Option Number 9 for customer service
Option Number 2 for retailer locator

Old 07-28-2015, 01:38 AM

I had mine fixed twice early on. No problems since....

Old 07-28-2015, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

I was at my local independent last week having my car checked out before I went on holiday and was chatting about the current models. The current XJ was apparently very reliable, but they mentioned the roof pooping as an issue and how difficult it was to fix. Many cars have no problem, but those that do can take a long time to fix and many hours labour. Clearly for cars out of warranty, this can cost a lot.

It is plain to me that the roof area is a major design error and Jaguar need to get it sorted for the revised XJ.

Another thing I spotted is that for the front wheels, there is no internal metal wheel arch, only the plastic liner. Could it be that there has been too much concentration on losing weight and insufficient to maintaining body stiffness.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I was at my local independent last week having my car checked out before I went on holiday and was chatting about the current models. The current XJ was apparently very reliable, but they mentioned the roof pooping as an issue and how difficult it was to fix. Many cars have no problem, but those that do can take a long time to fix and many hours labour. Clearly for cars out of warranty, this can cost a lot.

It is plain to me that the roof area is a major design error and Jaguar need to get it sorted for the revised XJ.

Another thing I spotted is that for the front wheels, there is no internal metal wheel arch, only the plastic liner. Could it be that there has been too much concentration on losing weight and insufficient to maintaining body stiffness.
I gave up. Another fix that lasted for three days, and I had enough. I traded it in.

My main complaint is that, while the car was under warranty, Jag claimed "rattles and noises" weren't covered. They are actually wrong, based on the wording of their warranty; plus since they couldn't determine the source of the noise no one could say for sure whether the cause of the noise was a structural item that was covered by the warranty. It would have been my pleasure to sue them, but what's the point? Jaguar is trying to sell cars, it is easier to vote with my mouth and my feet

I've driven Jags for 18 years, but I'm done now. This was beyond frustrating, and it became clear Jaguar NA didn't care to keep me as a customer.

Last edited by jafine21; 07-28-2015 at 09:23 AM.
cicirrigi (11-09-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,294 Likes on 3,454 Posts
Smile Hahaha

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
... they mentioned the roof pooping ... .
Thanks for the unintended good laugh!

Old 07-28-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello. Relatively new here. Have a 2012 supercharged xjl. Had popping noise during cold and warm days, only with sunroof closed. Found a different thread on this site about this problem(and can't find it again now) where someone mentioned putting contact tape on the 2 hooks under the roof top. I just did a couple turns with plain electric tape and as he stated, all the noise has been gone now for at least a year. Have you all tried this simple fix?

The following 4 users liked this post by icandr55:
amcdonal86 (07-28-2015), Angus (07-29-2015), LiquidIce (07-29-2015), splatter88 (07-29-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,294 Likes on 3,454 Posts

Originally Posted by icandr55
Hello. Relatively new here. Have a 2012 supercharged xjl. Had popping noise during cold and warm days, only with sunroof closed. Found a different thread on this site about this problem(and can't find it again now) where someone mentioned putting contact tape on the 2 hooks under the roof top. I just did a couple turns with plain electric tape and as he stated, all the noise has been gone now for at least a year. Have you all tried this simple fix?
Please post some pictures of exactly what you did.That would be very helpful. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Thanks for the unintended good laugh!
Yes, it was unintended, but I think Jaguar did poop on people with this aspect of the car due to the length of time it took to develop a cure, and even then, the cure did not always work.

I'm not sure whether I will ever move on to the current XJ. My X350 is going well, and the new XJs are beyond my price bracket even with the enormous depreciation. Here is an example of one I looked at this week on Autotrader: -

Jaguar XJ 3.0 TD Premium Luxury 4dr

Apart from the usual doggy-looking brake calipers, it is like a new car !

Old 07-29-2015, 01:39 PM

Here is a link to the video I took a few nights before I returned the car to the dealership. The video does not pick up the true sound, just to show how much noise it made. Again, thank god it was a lease!!!

Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I found out the member who first reported this..Rayo... search his posts on this topic and he explains it. I am pretty sure he also has pics. If not, I will try to post some this weekend

Quick Reply: Anyone's Roof still popping?