XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Anyone's Roof still popping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, to access these hooks easily, you have to push the button for roof position one, then push again to fully retract but quickly push button again to stop it after it reaches max height in the back of the glass before it starts it's backward motion.

The following 2 users liked this post by icandr55:
amcdonal86 (08-11-2015), LiquidIce (07-31-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by icandr55
I found out the member who first reported this..Rayo... search his posts on this topic and he explains it. I am pretty sure he also has pics. If not, I will try to post some this weekend
Any update on this? I am thinking of buying a used 2011 model but the possibility of the roof noise is holding me back!!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I got the roof "fix" last November and have done around 10k miles since then and for the most part it's been fine but when I started to open/close the sunroof this year it could sometime make a noise from the back after closing it. Not really a big deal but still not the best.

Anyway after looking at the post about taping up the hooks I thought to give it a go. I did it a few days ago and done a few hundred miles and it seems to had stopped that noise, so I'm now back to a virtual noise free sunroof. It's still early days but It seems to work.

Hear's a couple of pics to let you see what I did.

First no tape.

Second with thin electrical insulating tape.

Last edited by splatter88; 08-17-2015 at 01:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by splatter88:
amcdonal86 (08-17-2015), Angus (08-18-2015)
Old 08-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by splatter88
Well I got the roof "fix" last November and have done around 10k miles since then and for the most part it's been fine but when I started to open/close the sunroof this year it could sometime make a noise from the back after closing it. Not really a big deal but still not the best.

Anyway after looking at the post about taping up the hooks I thought to give it a go. I did it a few days ago and done a few hundred miles and it seems to had stopped that noise, so I'm now back to a virtual noise free sunroof. It's still early days but It seems to work.

First no tape.

You just applied eletrical insulating tape on that lever ? that's it ?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

Great work! I wonder if anyone else can verify that this fix works. It seems so simple!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2011 xj s/c 72700km

Originally Posted by XJL2011
Looking again at these latest posts on the issue of roof popping reminds me of the problems I had with my 7 series BMW. They could never fix what was wrong with the automatic transmission. I switched dealers 3 times over a 1.5 year period, and I went to "huge" dealers that service tons of BMW and sell tons of them. One time my BMW was in the garage for 3 weeks, and they told me they had daily "conference calls" with BMW in Munich trying to fix the problem. At the end of 3 weeks nothing was fixed. A few months later I found an independent mechanic in the area and no kidding he fixed the issue in less than 2 hours... This was an independent mechanic....

So regarding the roof popping, my XJL supercharged 2011 was fixed in just a few hours in a Toronto Jaguar dealer. This was 2 years ago. the noise never came back. So the issue I see here is that same I had with BMW. The issue is really with the car dealerships. Many it seems have very poor mechanics and they do not know what they are doing. The only thing they want to do is sell the cars, but if you have a problem then tough luck. On top of it, sometimes they completely "bullshit" you in their comments. Like with my BMW they could not fix for 3 weeks while talking daily to Munich.. Yeah right like I believe them... when an independent mechanic just fixed it in less than 2 hours. He knew exactly what was wrong...

So it is really a shame there seems to be so many incompetent mechanics at Jaguar dealers. The issue can be fixed. I wonder if Jaguar knows about all these dealers that cannot fix anything...

We should probably make a list of "subpar" dealers that cannot fix anything, and a list of good dealers that really have good mechanics and know what they are doing...
I bought a 2011 XJ s/c from Budd of Oakville twelve days ago and had them do the roof clicking fix. Was good for one day or so and seems to be getting worse daily. You indicate that a TO dealer fixed your roof with good results.I would appreciate if you could email the name of the dealer so that I can have the problem fixed.
Thank you,
Regards
Tom Black

Old 08-20-2015, 05:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

--Quote (by URBLACK)--
I bought a 2011 XJs/c from Budd of Oakville twelve days ago and had them do the roof clickingfix. Was good for one day or so and seems to be getting worse daily. Youindicate that a TO dealer fixed your roof with good results.I would appreciateif you could email the name of the dealer so that I can have the problem fixed.
Thank you,
Regards
Tom Black
----END QUOTE____

Dear Tom

I had it fixed at Grand Touring Automobiles, 740 DuPont street. I had perfect service from them. That was more than 3 years ago. The roof is still perfect, no noise at all. In fact the car is really perfect. It will be 4 years old soon and I did not have a single issue with the car besides that early roof noise.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

First no tape.

I wonder if a coat of plastidip would be a more elegant looking solution?

Old 08-31-2015, 07:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default urblack

Good news. I brought the car back to Budds' and the roof problem for now has been fixed
The tech who worked on the roof was familiar with the problem and spent a day and test driving before he was satisfied.
Very pleased with what was done.
Thanks to all of the forum members who kindly offered advice.

The following 2 users liked this post by urblack:
greenman (01-31-2016), splatter88 (09-01-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

splatter88, any updates on the noise? Still quiet in there?

Old 09-01-2015, 04:15 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm still fine tuning it, as a bit of tape came loose and sometimes the glass would go back up like it was being jammed after closing it. It's not perfect but it dose help reduce the little movements/noises it would make.

To be fare I think I'm might being too picky now as the front passenger seat can also make a similar noise sometimes. It's not the seat belt, I think it's the leather from the side bolsters rubbing against the the bottom part of the seat.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It still occasionally happens!

I purchased a certified 2013 XJL with 12k miles a year and a half ago and the roof started making noises within 4 months of ownership. I read this thread and was begining to regret my decision. Dealer took the car in, knew exactly what the issue was and did "the Fix". haven't had a problem since... I am at 15k so far and counting.

Bryan

The following 2 users liked this post by Jag52:
retriever-007 (09-30-2015), splatter88 (09-03-2015)
Old 11-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys I am having the same problem.I went today in London Barnet Jaguar dealer to ask them about the popping, rattling and rust problem.They did not seemed impressed I am quite young and English is not my native language so I didn't know to counteract the refusals and denials. One of the service department employees came and checked the problems. Obviously he acted like he never heard about this problem with their cars. He started to tell me the same things that the people who went into service regarding this matter already heard and were posted here on different threads. After 10 minutes of waiting I received a quote of 4500£ for a new sunroof without labour. They advised me to call directly to Jaguar at costumer service. I did that and spoke with a lady I don't remember her name explained that the rust is not there from yesterday even the car has almost 5 years and it is a manufacturing issue . She said that the 3 years warranty expired and I am not entitled for a compensation and pretend that never heard about those issues She will speak with a manager and consider the millage of the car the age and if I had owned previously a Jaguar product. So being my first Jaguar product is a bad thing for them. I had to own 3 or 4 Jaguar cars probably for my query to be serious. In the and she said that raised a case and I will receive and answer on Wednesday. I don't know what is the best solution but I am not paying 4500£ for a new sunroof. I don't care so much about the rust but the noises are unbearable. I love the car overall I have all possible extras including rear seat entertainment but is pointless. Hope to find a quick solution for this
Here is the link with the noises: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bWV...ature=youtu.be

The following users liked this post:
greenman (01-31-2016)
Old 11-10-2015, 07:38 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi cicirrigi,

Thank you for your post.

Should you have any concerns or enquiries please do not hesitate to PM me providing the following details in order for me to assist:

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant Jaguar retailer

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Hannah

Old 01-31-2016, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Langstraat
In continuation to my previous post. After four attempts at my local dealer to fix the creaking problems I went elsewhere. The engineer stopped the trouble immediately before he accompanied me for the test drive. He noted that the glass roof had been tightened down too much. Apparently the panel should float. By tightening it it tends to rub.
So, on the fifth attempt this dealership (Bradford) fixed the problem. New neoprene washes were fitted and torqued correctly.
However, I now have a new problem. The roller blind now makes a noise, opening and closing helps but it look like I'll have to make another visit to get it sorted.
hi who did this as i have th same issue with the idiot main dealers not knowing what to do /

Old 01-31-2016, 09:29 AM

hi i have the same issue who the roof on lwb can anyone help ? forget the main dealers totla waste of time

Old 01-31-2016, 09:33 AM

hi who fiex it for you ? please as i nee help with mine

Old 01-31-2016, 09:58 AM
Default XJL roof pooping cracking

hi can anyone suggest a dealer (please not a main dealer) who can fix or at least shed some light on the issue for the roof popping and cracking etc steve

Old 01-31-2016, 10:12 AM

hi did it fix it with the roller blind broke i have the same issue but the main delaer cant fix it steve

Old 02-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

First no tape.

The pics don't load anymore...can you please upload them again mate?

Quick Reply: Anyone's Roof still popping?