XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

AutoEnginuity Scan Tool for Android

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 11:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AutoEnginuity Scan Tool for Android

I'm thinking about getting an OBDII scanner app for Android to monitor/troubleshoot my 2013 XJL. This product seems to get high marks from board members due to the availability of enhanced software specifically for Jaguar (and many others). I'd like to know if any members of this Forum use any of the Android solutions, as opposed to a dedicated hand-held device, and what you use. Looking for recommendations on an OBDII Bluetooth adapter as well. (I've read the Code Scanners thread but need something more specific)

Thomas

Old 09-27-2021, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts

I think you need to decide how deep you want to get into the car? By this I mean stuff like the AC blend doors, Programming replacement modules, adding or replacing keys. Do you want to reset the service reminder?
The Foxwell unit can do the service reset and several people have used it and like it. I have never heard of anyone using the AutoEnginuity brand? Will it work OK? Not sure you will kind of need to be the guinea pig. A few searches on this forum will bring up a good bit of info about scanners people have used.

Of course to do everything the factory SDD is they way to go. I use a dedicated Win7 machine for that with a clone chinese mangoose cable. Use at your own risk!

For Android I use Torque Pro and Autel APP's but they probably don't go deep enough even though the cheap Autel one does due the service reset which is nice.
After several other OBDII adapters I ONLY use this one. OBDLinkMX+. Now it's a bit more expensive than most of these OBDII adapters at around $100. But I find it rock solid and does MS and HS CAN stuff (Medium Speed and High Speed Can bus). But the best feature is it shuts off to prevent battery drain because like you I sometimes want to monitor the car continuously as I drive. So I tend to leave it plugged in all the time.
OBDLinkMX+

I also use the included software but find I can do more (Like add custom PIDS) with Torque Pro.
Finally you need to tell us what your budget is as things get expensive real quick!

The following users liked this post:
Ken Dreger (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 05:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I do not want to go deeply into the car. I'll take a look at TorquePro. I think it's all I want.

Thomas

Ken Dreger (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Torque Pro is cheap and a heck of a deal but a bit cryptic in use. The more expensive Foxwell units seem to have a better user interface but of course with the added cost they should.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:45 AM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

More than just the interface, a difference between the Foxwell units and Torque Pro (I have both) is that the Torque Pro only does OBD II while the Foxwell (to the extent that i have used) is available with Jaguar Specific software to access modules outside of the PCM.. I have used to to read codes and run diagnostics in areas such as sunroof, suspension, e-diff, etc. that are not accessible with an OBD II reader. That is the impetus for it, getting many of the SDD type functions through a handheld device, without having to buy and adapter cable, and dedicating a notebook to doing it. They are kind of "apples and oranges".

Old 09-29-2021, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member

Well Torque Pro has the ability to add custom PIDS which for our Jags is really useful. The Foxwell is a good scanner but like a lot of technologies it's a black box. Use it but you have no insight in how it works and no ability to modify or customize the device for your needs.

Here is one of the Jaguar specific custom dash boards others have come up with for Torque Pro. I have not found this feature on any other scanner?

Since Torque Pro is so cheap (I have a free Hacked version but it's only like $5 for a lifetime license). This feature alone makes it worth having. Since we don't have a real temperature gauge on the dash I have had my tablet on regularly to check coolant and other temperatures. Note they have released metric and Imperial unit versions of the custom dash board.

I particularly needed the transmission temperature for fluid changes. I can get it with SDD but it's more work and with Torque Pro I can make a custom dash board with just the transmission temperature on it. I can read this from across the shop while SDD has a small display requiring having a laptop that shows a graph of transmission temperature. Not very user friendly!

You can do this for other brands too. Here is a MB E-350 with the same 6 speed ZF as our Jags. Having the transmission temperature in a full screen like this is great. I can put the tablet someplace clean and safe while I am under the car with it running on the lift and I am dripping in transmission fluid! Sure beats trying to hold the temperature gun on the transmission oil pan and fiddling with the fluid/pump and fill port plug right beside a flaming hot exhaust pipe!

If your interested attached are the instructions for adding these custom PIDS. It's all free too.

Attached Files
kroache (10-02-2021)