XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Automatic speed limiter

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic speed limiter

Hi Guys,

I got in my 2014 XJ yesterday and Automatic speed limiter illuminated on dash, and I'm unable to cancel using cancel switch? It has also disabled the cruise control? Is there anyway other than the switch off to disable it? Like disconnecting battery or will I have to get Jaguar dealer to look at it.
​​​​​​The car is under warranty but not sure if they will look at it yet.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

When you say cancel switch, do you mean the one to cancel cruise/asl or the toggle button that switches between asl and normal cruise above the park brake switch?
If the toggle is not working - is the orange tell tale indicator on the switch itself on permanently as well?
If it is stuck on, and the switch is unresponsive, it may be a failed switch. Do the other switches on the gear selector panel work as expected? IIRC the asl is a single press, the others are all hold for 1 second to activate.
I am unsure if a hard reset (battery disconnected) will clear the asl status, but it is worth a try.

[ edit ]
I'm assuming you mean you can't turn it back to normal cruise control, and not that the asl is always active. i.e. you can still cancel it with the cruise cancel switch on the steering wheel?

Old 06-19-2020, 07:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

A little off the subject but I never have used this feature and am a bit puzzled why Jaguar even bothered with it?
Does anyone use ASL?

Old 06-19-2020, 08:24 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,909 Likes on 3,211 Posts

clubairth1, I can see a need for it, but do I use it? No. I know I have a problem with cruise control because I tend to find myself falling asleep behind the wheel (hence why I don't even use cruise control). But, if you were on a major highway and are worried about your speed creeping up over time, you could set the speed limiter and it would give you a signal that you are starting to go too fast. I could see where this could also be useful if you were going to let a friend drive the car as you could set the speed limiter to some pre-determined value and that would limit them from getting into too much trouble. But, for the most part, I agree, it is a fairly useless feature. But, hey, it doesn't really cost any money to add to the car because you have all the equipment in the car already other than the single button to activate the function.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

I use ASL all the time, unless I am on the motorway when I might switch to cruise depending on the traffic or if queuing when I tend to use cruise for the queue assist.

For town driving it is useful to set to 30mph and forget about it. No chance of creeping over the limit then when following someone else. I don't have to care about my speed as I know I can't go more than 3mph over the target without a chime. Particularly useful when driving on roads that are up and down all over the place as you don't need to monitor engine speed and adjust to stay constant.

I also find it helpful because I switch between the 5.0 V8s and the 3.0 diesels a few times a week so it helps even out the differences. I am an observant driver, but I have terrible speed control and without ASL am more likely to be driving along at 25mph or 35mph than at the actual limit. More capable drivers likely won't need it.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Celtic Cousin
Hi Guys,

I got in my 2014 XJ yesterday and Automatic speed limiter illuminated on dash, and I'm unable to cancel using cancel switch? It has also disabled the cruise control? Is there anyway other than the switch off to disable it? Like disconnecting battery or will I have to get Jaguar dealer to look at it.
​​​​​​The car is under warranty but not sure if they will look at it yet.
To cancel it you should just have to press the ASL button on the centre console just forward of the parking brake lever. Did you try it? The Cancel is just for cruise control.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:50 PM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

It's invaluable in the UK where they can monitor your average speed through a lengthy section of roadworks etc, the ASL stops you from
inadvertently letting your speed creep up.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by xdave
When you say cancel switch, do you mean the one to cancel cruise/asl or the toggle button that switches between asl and normal cruise above the park brake switch?
If the toggle is not working - is the orange tell tale indicator on the switch itself on permanently as well?
If it is stuck on, and the switch is unresponsive, it may be a failed switch. Do the other switches on the gear selector panel work as expected? IIRC the asl is a single press, the others are all hold for 1 second to activate.
I am unsure if a hard reset (battery disconnected) will clear the asl status, but it is worth a try.

[ edit ]
I'm assuming you mean you can't turn it back to normal cruise control, and not that the asl is always active. i.e. you can still cancel it with the cruise cancel switch on the steering wheel?
I had tried both buttons but no response. Luckily a neighbour had a visiter who is an auto electrician. He took a look and found ASL switch on centre consul faulty? So ordered a new one,
I don't normally used it so not sure why it decided to fail.
but at least problem identified.
Thanks for all responses.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I always thought that was useless feature, but hearing you chaps reasoning as to the authorities being able to monitor your average speed over distances makes it understandable. Glad I live in the "wild west" and the individual cop has to catch you. One question if you are caught exceeding the average speed do the mail you a ticket?

Old 06-20-2020, 08:05 AM
Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
I always thought that was useless feature, but hearing you chaps reasoning as to the authorities being able to monitor your average speed over distances makes it understandable. Glad I live in the "wild west" and the individual cop has to catch you. One question if you are caught exceeding the average speed do the mail you a ticket?
Yep, in most European countries the ticketing systems are fully automatized and you get your tickets via mail or email... huge cash cows for the States and for the private companies who operate these systems... so they invent always more detection systems (red lights, phone in hand, alcohol in breath..)and must armor the cameras, because people begin to get fed up and shoot or burn them... (which is not an issue to the private companies though as they simply sell and install a new one...)

The following users liked this post:
XJsss (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
A little off the subject but I never have used this feature and am a bit puzzled why Jaguar even bothered with it?
Does anyone use ASL?
I've never use it? Just use cruise control.