XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

AUX-In Only Playing on Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts
Default AUX-In Only Playing on Passenger Side

Good afternoon gents For as long as I've owned this car, I've never plugged anything into the AUX input until now, and I discovered that sound only plays on the passenger side of the car. I've tried two different cords and two different audio devices. I also tried messing with the balance/fade and other sound settings. Lastly, I tried wiggling the plugs around on both ends and got no improvement. Any ideas what's going on? Has my AUX input been faulty this whole time?

Old 03-29-2022, 08:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Good afternoon gents For as long as I've owned this car, I've never plugged anything into the AUX input until now, and I discovered that sound only plays on the passenger side of the car. I've tried two different cords and two different audio devices. I also tried messing with the balance/fade and other sound settings. Lastly, I tried wiggling the plugs around on both ends and got no improvement. Any ideas what's going on? Has my AUX input been faulty this whole time?
Would be interested to see where you get with this, as i have same problem. replaced the media module (aux in/usb/12v thing) but still have issue. So assuming either wiring issue (nightmare!) or something wrong in head unit. Does the aux cabling go straight into the head unit which I am assuming is the unit with the single cd player in it in the dash? I was in the process of installing IDCORE for android auto but the only way to connect audio is via aux, so i'm stuffed until i get that sorted.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:32 AM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Hello.

What kind of Audio jack/cable you are using and what you use as source?
I think XJ are compatible only 3-conductor jack/cable. If you use 4-conductor jack comes with most of modern phones (4th conductor are for Mic) you might have only one channel connected?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)
Got this issue with my ladys "red car" (european Ford Focus) with her fancy phone. Searched out my drawers and found old Sansa-player what worked like a charm. Sansa also have buttons instead of touchscreen. Much more safe when driving.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Haven't made any progress yet and I really don't know how or where the Aux input is hardwired in relation to the headunit itself, unfortunately. I only discovered this issue barely just this past weekend because I installed the IDCORE Apple Carplay unit. Supposedly it needs the Aux input for voice navigation directions which I haven't played around with yet, but otherwise audio works perfectly via bluetooth (ie wireless carplay).

Old 03-29-2022, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vasara
Hello.

What kind of Audio jack/cable you are using and what you use as source?
I think XJ are compatible only 3-conductor jack/cable. If you use 4-conductor jack comes with most of modern phones (4th conductor are for Mic) you might have only one channel connected?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)
Got this issue with my ladys "red car" (european Ford Focus) with her fancy phone. Searched out my drawers and found old Sansa-player what worked like a charm. Sansa also have buttons instead of touchscreen. Much more safe when driving.
I've tried the aux cable that was provided with the IDCORE unit and a spare aux cord I had lying around. I'm not very familiar with how these cords work, having never really used aux before. They both seem to have two black rings on the jacks. I've tried the IDCORE unit obviously and an ipod classic.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Old 03-29-2022, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Mine works fine with a USB connection. Are you using the 3.5mm pin connection?

Old 03-29-2022, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Mine works fine with a USB connection. Are you using the 3.5mm pin connection?
Yes. Do you mean you used an adapter to plug the aux 3.5 jack into the usb port?

Last edited by XJ8JR; 03-29-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Maybe we have different setups? I know Jaguar changed equipment depending on markets?

My 2014 XJR came with a USB and a 3.5mm and a 12VDC power port all side by side in the console. I have used the USB a bunch but never had anything that would even plug into 3.5mm? Sound is fine with all adjustments working.
I added another USB on the right side that goes to my Android head unit upgrade.

Old 03-30-2022, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I have pretty much the same thing. I guess I misunderstood what you were saying.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed Aux Issue

So a quick update ... I fixed this issue by splicing a new female aux into the wiring at the back of the head unit. It's all a bit tight and fiddly but it now works perfectly. There was obviously an issue with the wiring between the media unit in the centre console and the head unit. This has actually worked out better as I haven't had to root a long aux cable back to the centre console aux, the aux cable just goes back from the head unit down to the idcore box which is located below glove box and so is now all hidden. The usb in the centre console still works as that has its own set of wires into the head unit.

The following users liked this post:
XJ8JR (04-06-2022)
Old 01-22-2024, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonty Angle
So a quick update ... I fixed this issue by splicing a new female aux into the wiring at the back of the head unit. It's all a bit tight and fiddly but it now works perfectly. There was obviously an issue with the wiring between the media unit in the centre console and the head unit. This has actually worked out better as I haven't had to root a long aux cable back to the centre console aux, the aux cable just goes back from the head unit down to the idcore box which is located below glove box and so is now all hidden. The usb in the centre console still works as that has its own set of wires into the head unit.
Hi - do you have any more details on what you did here - I have the same issue. I don't suppose you remember where the aux goes into the back of the unit?