XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

"Battery low, start car" message....

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts
Default "Battery low, start car" message....

I've read several discussions on this, but none of them seem to come to a consistent conclusion, on how to get rid of the message. My situation is that I store the wife's XJ during the winter. I have an attached garage, so I'm not risking a fire, by leaving a battery tender on the car all winter. I won't leave one on my Corvette, either. However, at least every 7-10 days, I'll hook up a charger to the car, usually while I'm running the snowblower around, clearing the driveway.

I've read on this forum, that a 30-40 minute drive will usually clear this message, so a couple of days ago, after I put the insurance back on the car, I took it for a ride of about 35 minutes. I had nowhere in particular to go, I simply drove around for that time, probably about 60-65% of the trip was on the expressway, at speeds of 60 MPH (or more). I arrived back at home, backed the car into the garage, turned off the engine, and the warning message came on immediately.

I got out my voltage meter, and checked the battery voltage, and it read 12.5 volts. I started the car, and at idle, it read out 14.4 volts. Those appear to be good numbers. The car, and the battery, are 4 years old. If necessary, I'll replace the battery, but if it won't get rid of the message, what's the point. If I do replace the battery, is there any special procedure I need to follow, for the car to "recognize" a new battery? (I think Benzes and Bimmers have some "hocus pocus" you have to perform) Will using the plug in, memory retainer, be enough to keep all the programmed info in storage?

TIA

Old 05-06-2020, 07:26 AM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

This message annoys me as well. Even well after a new battery install, I still get it here and there.

I find that locking the car in my garage seems to cut down on this message appearing. I might just add this car to my network of battery tenders.

The following users liked this post:
Maxpower (03-05-2022)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:47 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Normally anything under 12.6 v when off will turn light on. Ive found anytime it sits for a bit and goes under 12.6v, the light will return.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:03 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Buy one of these. It will reset the light, service reminder and more. Available on Amazon for about $150.00.

Na5h (10-14-2021)
Old 05-06-2020, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member

I just returned from another "extended ride" with the XJ. I checked the battery voltage before I left the house, and it was 12.2V. That reading was after the car sat since the ride I took on Monday (today is Wednesday). Again, the car ran for approximately 35 minutes at speeds between 35 and 65 MPH. After returning home, I checked the voltage at the battery, and it was 14.4V, with the engine running, and 12.4V, after the engine was shut off. About 10 seconds after the car was turned off, with the door still opened, the warning light came on.....

Old 05-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Battery is not holding a charge. Bring it to a auto parts store to bench check it, they will keep it for a few hours.

Last edited by ricardoa1; 05-06-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

The problem is that, with the start stop feature, the battery charges quite slowly. Once a certain level is reached, it only uses "spare" power for charging, ie when braking. 30-35 minutes on the highway won't do it (or, indeed, anything). 12.4V is about 70% charge, and 12.2V is 55%. Low numbers.

The other problem is that your 5 year old battery is probably near the end of its life and has reduced capacity.

I think the only way to not see the message is to get a new battery, AND to use the car regularly.

Old 05-10-2020, 06:35 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Mine started throwing this message a couple of weeks ago and I replaced the battery on Friday, March 8. My battery was down to 600 CCA so it was about to fail totally. The battery was basically 5 years old so I am not complaining. Car runs better, shifts better. It is amazing on these cars the number of things having a strong battery vs a weak battery effects. The bottom line is, that when you get this message, get a new battery before it is too late and you will be walking.

The following 2 users liked this post by MV Rider:
Ken Dreger (08-19-2021), Maxpower (08-19-2021)
Old 05-11-2020, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mark SF
The problem is that, with the start stop feature, the battery charges quite slowly. Once a certain level is reached, it only uses "spare" power for charging, ie when braking. 30-35 minutes on the highway won't do it (or, indeed, anything). 12.4V is about 70% charge, and 12.2V is 55%. Low numbers.

The other problem is that your 5 year old battery is probably near the end of its life and has reduced capacity.

I think the only way to not see the message is to get a new battery, AND to use the car regularly.
I disconnected the start/stop battery on the day we picked up the car from the dealer, and it has remained unplugged for the last 4 years. We do use the car "regularly", just not during the winter.

Originally Posted by MV Rider
Mine started throwing this message a couple of weeks ago and I replaced the battery on Friday, March 8. My battery was down to 600 CCA so it was about to fail totally. The battery was basically 5 years old so I am not complaining. Car runs better, shifts better. It is amazing on these cars the number of things having a strong battery vs a weak battery effects. The bottom line is, that when you get this message, get a new battery before it is too late and you will be walking.
Just to add to the mix, on the evening that we picked up our original XJ-L, the 2012, the salesman was explaining the features of the car, prior to us taking it home. We were in the "delivery area" of the showroom, with the doors of the car open for a few minutes, and the "low battery, start car" message popped up on the dashboard. This was on a car that was brand new, and come "off the truck" two days prior.......

Ken Dreger (08-19-2021)
Old 05-11-2020, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I disconnected the start/stop battery on the day we picked up the car from the dealer, and it has remained unplugged for the last 4 years. We do use the car "regularly", just not during the winter.

Just to add to the mix, on the evening that we picked up our original XJ-L, the 2012, the salesman was explaining the features of the car, prior to us taking it home. We were in the "delivery area" of the showroom, with the doors of the car open for a few minutes, and the "low battery, start car" message popped up on the dashboard. This was on a car that was brand new, and come "off the truck" two days prior.......
I assume if in the showroom the car was not idling, with just the accessories the car won’t last more than 15 minutes on just power the sound system alone will draw enough juice
to give the warning. I have a new battery and the car with just accessories won’t last very long before it tells you to start.

wombat (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 06:03 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My experience is that after you have replaced the battery you would have to use a diagnostic tool to reset it, once reset it would not show the battery low start car message up anymore.

Autel AP200 would do this job just fine.

Otherwise the battery is really not charging and you might need to look for something else.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

I was supposed to take the car in for a "software update" last fall, but on the day that the appointment was scheduled for, we got snow, and the local highway department spread salt on the roads, so I cancelled the appointment and parked the car for the winter. The car is at the dealer, right now, for the update, and they said they'd check the battery, while it's there. The only cause for potential heartburn, that I have, is that I can purchase a new battery by myself, for $105, tax included, and the self-installation cost is $0. However, I don't have the necessary tool(s) to reset the car's onboard "battery charge level indicator".

If I have the dealer replace the battery, I'm sure the cost will be at least twice as much.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I was supposed to take the car in for a "software update" last fall, but on the day that the appointment was scheduled for, we got snow, and the local highway department spread salt on the roads, so I cancelled the appointment and parked the car for the winter. The car is at the dealer, right now, for the update, and they said they'd check the battery, while it's there. The only cause for potential heartburn, that I have, is that I can purchase a new battery by myself, for $105, tax included, and the self-installation cost is $0. However, I don't have the necessary tool(s) to reset the car's onboard "battery charge level indicator".

If I have the dealer replace the battery, I'm sure the cost will be at least twice as much.
Like I said, you can just purchase a Autel AP200 or similar at Amazon or ebay, and reset the software with it.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EmmanuelTam
Like I said, you can just purchase a Autel AP200 or similar at Amazon or ebay, and reset the software with it.
I understand....however, the tool appears to cost approximately $60. It might be less costly to have the dealer reset the light for me......

Old 05-12-2020, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

I seriously doubt that you can buy a proper AGM battery for less than $150.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Super Walmart’s will have the AGM for $160. I was lucky to upgrade for the difference when the prior didn’t replace it with the AGM, they took the old one for full credit.

Ken Dreger (08-19-2021)
Old 05-13-2020, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJsss
For most people, very true. However, after I retired from full-time work, I worked part-time for an auto parts wholesaler for several years, and I still maintain a relationship with them. My cost for an "H8" AGM battery is $97.

The following 2 users liked this post by leadfoot4:
Ken Dreger (08-19-2021), XJsss (05-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,877 Posts

One other comment is for 2013 Jaguar made a number of changes to improve this problem. The BMS was revised and supposedly different software was used too.
No help for you and your 2012 unfortunately.

So the factory did know it was a problem. I still have my factory battery in my 2014 XJR and have not gotten any low battery messages.
BUT with the age of the battery being over 6 1/2 years I am expecting to replace it at anytime.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

I picked up the car from the dealer yesterday. After some initial reluctance, my car decided to accept the "updated software download", and it's now OK. During the download, the car has to be "powered up", so they have a battery charger hooked up to the car. Knowing that I had requested they check the battery, after they finished with the download, they kept the charger on it for a couple of hours. After that, they did a load test, and the battery passed......

From what they told me, I'm not the only one who parks his Jag during the winter months. However, I'm one of the very few that actually bothers to put the battery charger on it, once in a while, during that time. Therefore, they feel that's why my battery is still in good shape, VS. those who simply park their cars for 4 months, then go out and start it in the spring, and start driving. Supposedly those owners are replacing their batteries every couple of years.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look into a "smart charger"
One that will cycle on and off depending on battery voltage.
That should keep your battery conditioned, and low risk of fire.

Quick Reply: "Battery low, start car" message....