XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

"Battery low, start car" message....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,313 Likes on 3,462 Posts

Buy a CTEK brand battery maintainer. There are several models, all available on Amazon that you can compare to suit your needs. CTEK supplies the Jaguar-branded battery maintainer sold by Jaguar dealers.

I have the CTEK MUS4.3 and I use it all the time. Here's how I installed it, with detailed photos.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-130801/

Here's how to get a free Koenigsegg!

Old 05-14-2020, 12:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't own a Jaguar, but I do use batteryminder 2012 on my BMW motorcycle and on my RAM 1500 when not in use without any issues. My motorcycle has it for about 6 months now. It actually *maintains* the battery as it won't allow sulphate build up on lead.

I also have a BMW M6 that I don't drive as much, and just like the Jaguar it has a ton of electronics that tax the battery big time. I use a different battery "maintainer" that is recommended by BMW (like the post above, it's a CTEK) and I use the connectors available inside the engine compartment as the battery is inside the trunk. It is not recommended to connect directly to the battery terminals, as it will confuse the computer that keeps track of the battery state. When I bought the M6 and attached the battery maintainer for the first time, it took 2 days for the charger to reach the maintaining stage. Now after a drive, once I reconnect the maintainer, the full charge is achieved in less than 1 hour.

There should NOT be any risk of fire if the charger model is one recommended by the car manufacturer.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:01 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

It’s an interesting comment about charging from the battery vs the front. It seems most everyone on these forums charge from the battery (with - to ground of course) without ill effect.

I also have a CTEK charger that I only use on my wife’s 2019 Volvo XC60 (I drive my XJ daily, so no need). Volvo has specific “charging posts” in the front of the engine and says do not charge from the battery, echoing your statement. But again, almost everyone here charges their XJ at the battery and sees no problem. Perhaps this issue is model specific?

Old 05-15-2020, 03:01 AM
Received 183 Likes on 119 Posts

I charge from the points under the bonnet, but I am reliably informed that there is no ill effect charging at the battery as long as you charge from "outside" the Battery Management Unit (i.e. to a stud on the chassis not the -ve terminal), so that the BMU can "see" what you are doing.

The following users liked this post:
Maxpower (08-19-2021)
Old 05-18-2020, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by christ
.............but I am reliably informed that there is no ill effect charging at the battery as long as you charge from "outside" the Battery Management Unit (i.e. to a stud on the chassis not the -ve terminal), so that the BMU can "see" what you are doing.
That's how I've been charging mine, for the last 4 years, but apparently I wasn't leaving the charger on for a long enough period of time, in order to avoid setting the "low battery" message.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:51 AM
Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by christ
I charge from the points under the bonnet, but I am reliably informed that there is no ill effect charging at the battery as long as you charge from "outside" the Battery Management Unit (i.e. to a stud on the chassis not the -ve terminal), so that the BMU can "see" what you are doing.
Perhaps your 2017 XJ has different wiring than my 2012? I ask because the negative cable on my battery has insulation stripped at a point only 12" from the terminal. The bare copper strands are clamped to the body with a C-clip. The insulation then resumes, and the black cable continues its journey to points unknown. I've got my CTEK attached with the "Comfort Connect" eyelets directly to the battery terminals. With the negative battery cable configured as I've described, it shouldn't make any difference where the "ground" "negative" or "earth" connection is made.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:44 AM
Received 183 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Baltobernie
Perhaps your 2017 XJ has different wiring than my 2012? I ask because the negative cable on my battery has insulation stripped at a point only 12" from the terminal. The bare copper strands are clamped to the body with a C-clip. The insulation then resumes, and the black cable continues its journey to points unknown. I've got my CTEK attached with the "Comfort Connect" eyelets directly to the battery terminals. With the negative battery cable configured as I've described, it shouldn't make any difference where the "ground" "negative" or "earth" connection is made.
I don't know what mine looks like, as I have never been under the boot floor - as I noted, I use the points under the bonnet.

... but I am reliably informed that using the black negative battery terminal is a bad idea™, as BMU confusion can result.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Not to be repetitive or drag up an old subject, but I don't think I really got an answer to my original question, which was, "can I simply install a new battery without getting any low battery warnings, that will have to be reset by the dealer"?

The dealer, when doing the software update did both a charge, as well as a load test on the car's battery. It tested OK, as previously mentioned, but it IS 4 years old, and my wife is the primary driver. I don't want her to get stuck somewhere, with a battery that suddenly decides to die, so I'm willing to replace it myself......

Old 06-23-2020, 11:02 AM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

You can change the battery yourself. But you also need to reset the Battery Management System (BMS) with a tool. It is worth buying a tool that lets you reset the BMS and the service indicator light; these tools are very useful.

Some have suggested that the car will eventually recalibrate itself to the new battery without resetting the BMS, but that is not a conventional approach and your results may vary.

Ken Dreger (08-19-2021)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

For our last 6 Mercedes & BMWs, we always bring it to the dealer a month before the 4 yr factory warranty expires, to have everything checked.
4 times, they have replaced with a brand new OEM battery...

Ken Dreger (08-19-2021)
Old 06-25-2020, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Not to be repetitive or drag up an old subject, but I don't think I really got an answer to my original question, which was, "can I simply install a new battery without getting any low battery warnings, that will have to be reset by the dealer"?

The dealer, when doing the software update did both a charge, as well as a load test on the car's battery. It tested OK, as previously mentioned, but it IS 4 years old, and my wife is the primary driver. I don't want her to get stuck somewhere, with a battery that suddenly decides to die, so I'm willing to replace it myself......
Yes

Old 06-26-2020, 09:55 AM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

I fitted a new battery on my previous XJL , I must admit that to preserve any settings I did hook up a jump pack to the leads while doing it to preserve any codes etc in the system like the radio and windows .

Old 06-26-2020, 11:17 AM
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I also fitted a new battery on my previous 2012 XJL 5.0 Supercharged and used my CTEK Multi US 7002 in "Supply Mode" to maintain charge.
The new battery fixed the light and I never reset the BMS.
I highly recommend you charge the new battery with an AMG charger before installing it into the car as it has been sitting on the shelf for who knows how long.

CTEK - Multi US 7002 - Battery Charger - Product Training Video
$102.26 On Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000FRLO9Y/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000FRLO9Y/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Old 07-01-2020, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the information.

Having said that, I truly long for the 'old days", when you simply opened either the hood or the trunk lid, disconnected the battery leads and hold-down bolt, removed the old battery, installed a new battery, hooked it up, and drove off...............

Ken Dreger (08-19-2021)
Old 07-02-2020, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,313 Likes on 3,462 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Thanks for all the information.

Having said that, I truly long for the 'old days", when you simply opened either the hood or the trunk lid, disconnected the battery leads and hold-down bolt, removed the old battery, installed a new battery, hooked it up, and drove off...............
...........and still had hair that blew in the wind!

Ken Dreger (08-19-2021)
Old 07-10-2020, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by NvmyJag
I also fitted a new battery on my previous 2012 XJL 5.0 Supercharged and used my CTEK Multi US 7002 in "Supply Mode" to maintain charge.
The new battery fixed the light and I never reset the BMS.
I highly recommend you charge the new battery with an AGM charger before installing it into the car as it has been sitting on the shelf for who knows how long.
I have an Optima charger, for the battery in my Corvette. Do you think that would work? Also, if I hooked up a 9V battery to the ALDL plug under the dash, using one of those "handy dandy plug-ins, would that keep the settings intact?

Originally Posted by Stuart S
...........and still had hair that blew in the wind!
I know the feeling!!

How did I get so old, so quickly??

Old 08-19-2021, 09:50 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Had similar problem with message " Start car, battery low" on 2018 E-Pace with 30K on speedo. Still on Jaguar extended warranty, so took to dealer (92miles), who charged battery 3 times & battery would not pass the charge test,
so they installed new battery @ no charge, and message has not re-appeared. this was in May. Very pleased with car, my 4th Jaguar, and recently bought a 2002 XK8 now being serviced for non-op Driver's seat movement &
PO 746 code.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

F Pace or E Pace. one has an ICE engine and one is an EV?

Old 08-19-2021, 12:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

we have the internal combustion engine, gasoline. I drove the diesel B/4 we bought it, and I honestly did not know or even suspect that I was driving a diesel. It was not noisy, did not smell, and had a great deal of power. A head-on collision a year or so later, the Deledr did not have any diesels that I knew of, and we are well pleased with ehe E-Pace: lots of power & 32 mpg on the road!

Old 08-19-2021, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by XJsss
F Pace or E Pace. one has an ICE engine and one is an EV?
The I Pace is the EV, not the E Pace.

XJsss (08-20-2021)

Quick Reply: "Battery low, start car" message....