XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Bentley Flying Spur vs. XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

Exec; point A is boring,point B just as much, the time in between A & B is where true pleasure starts!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just finished reading Autocar uk magazine about Bentley vs Jag and it's the worst piece of "journalism" I have ever seen, all it said was obvious stuff: this one has 4 wheels, this one has 4 too. Bentley costs same as Jag.

I feel ripped off, there were no comparisons other than the miles per gallon and also, it turns out that Bentley ride quality is awful compared to Jag (I don't know what the author was talking about, it just said that one line).

Would scan but it's illegal.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros
Exec; point A is boring,point B just as much, the time in between A & B is where true pleasure starts!
60% of Bentley FS produced will be going over to China. There is a significant demand for the car there.
Bentley's market research shows that most of the Asian customers overseas have very high standards. They want even more cabin refinement, less noise and new infotainment for the rear-seat passengers.

That should answer your question for the reason for fancy rear seats

Old 04-03-2013, 08:32 PM

The Flying Spur is definitely NOT a VW Phaeton rebadge ! However it does use the W12 engine also seen in the VW, and in the Audi too. The bodyshells are made at the factory where the Phaeton bodies are made, as due to the sales flop of the Phaeton, there is spare capacity. The Continental shells are also made there. You could ask the question why VW ships body shells several hundred miles from Germany to Crewe, but the very high price of the car allows costs like this to be absorbed.
i agree the shape of the car can be diffirent..but if u jack up the car and u can ask 90% of technical who work on both VW and Continental..they alway said it is same..
if part is interchange and direct fit that mean it is the same. u can buy a VW oil filter and direct fit to your Bentley..and pay 7$ instead of 35$ for bentley...
of course the shape or the body must look different or interior..if it look the same how can they sell it 3 prices of the Pheaton.

X351 XJ isn't related to Ford in any way and hasn't for about 5 years now.

And, the masterpiece 5 liter engine is designed by Jaguar.
that what JLR try to say...because no one to buy a rebadge version which double price is that right?

if u have SDD Symptom Driven Diagnostic...you pull it in..it will show up ford motor company when u run in IDS function. That just the only 1 thing.
i opened few of the connector..it snap the Ford logo right in it.. i will take a pic when i have a chance again.
And, the masterpiece 5 liter engine is designed by Jaguar.
if it design by Jaguar why all the bottom end is direct fit to the Mustang 5.0..that what i don't understand....but actually i think ford design it will be way better than Jag design..because Jag was well know for a Lemon car..break down more than it stay on the road.. and if it Actually TATA design..even it extremely stunning.. i just forget about it.

u see a lot of XF 2.0 or Land Rover 2.0 all run same ecoboost engine was run by Ford for a long time... or the 3.0 newest base on Duratec...

Old 04-04-2013, 03:56 AM

Tamerlane's Thoughts: Bentley Continental Flying Spur / VW Phaeton interior comparison

I think I'm just gonna save cash, buy Murcielago and unleash my rage because I couldn't pick one of the two.

Attached Thumbnails Bentley Flying Spur vs. XJ?-1.jpg   Bentley Flying Spur vs. XJ?-2.jpg   Bentley Flying Spur vs. XJ?-3.jpg   Bentley Flying Spur vs. XJ?-4.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by nguyennhatquang

if it design by Jaguar why all the bottom end is direct fit to the Mustang 5.0..that what i don't understand....but actually i think ford design it will be way better than Jag design..because Jag was well know for a Lemon car..break down more than it stay on the road.. and if it Actually TATA design..even it extremely stunning.. i just forget about it.
1. I don't know. You provide me with part numbers, schematics and i will tell you if it fits or it doesn't.

2. Exactly! "Was" = past tense, meaning, not any longer.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

DJ,
Murcielago sounds nice!

You sure, you don't want to give the XJ a try?

Old 04-05-2013, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Executive
DJ,
Murcielago sounds nice!

You sure, you don't want to give the XJ a try?
Trust me, I want to as I change my mind every other day. Guess I just need to visit the dealer and ACTUALLY try all the alternatives.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 PM

1. I don't know. You provide me with part numbers, schematics and i will tell you if it fits or it doesn't.
part no never be the same..u need to cross part no same as independent shop did with Bentley and VW. Even when JLR times was own by Ford..part No never be the same.

because i'm not a Part guy..plus car is my hobby not a people make living by fixing car..in order to fully investigate in that..i hink you need to talk with some technical..and be friend and ask for Help..

here is one of the pic my friend he took from his laptop

i think if u already have your own jag. you can pay supcription and buy a J2534 device and play with you Jag...then find out more cool thing.. that what i will do when i have my own...

about reliability.. i asked my friend as a technical in Jag...he said never see any major problem with X351....
only problem he have seen is timing issue make tiking noise..same as Mustang ...they have a bulletin recall for that..if ur car have that problem..u should get it fix for free before it get out of warranty..they change all the timing shoe and tensioner.
my buddy said..because most of people lazy to change oil..plus the 5W20 Jag use in the car is too thin..(may be for gas mileage ???)
his jag he put 0W40 in it..and never see any problem..and the engine so quiet.

found some of the pic in net..they even write ford motor company in the oil filter

and control arm

Attached Thumbnails Bentley Flying Spur vs. XJ?-screenshot2012-12-05at82127pm.png   Bentley Flying Spur vs. XJ?-img_2321_zps2f96ed2e.jpg   Bentley Flying Spur vs. XJ?-img_2320_zps2d997d61.jpg   Bentley Flying Spur vs. XJ?-32587_10151516400241760_1917740994_n_zpse65cead7.jpg   Bentley Flying Spur vs. XJ?-482163_10151516400216760_2070870235_n_zps6e527b2a.jpg  

Last edited by nguyennhatquang; 04-05-2013 at 06:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DjiXas (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

I thought most Jag enthusiests knew that when ford bought Jag, 1st thing they changed was the Lucas stuff, and it improved the cars quite a bit!

also i was talking with a local guy with a Ford/ Jag, and he buys some parts from ford because %50 cheaper costs than jag,same part by comparison.

saddest thing about the ford takeover was dropping the V12 engines, if the V12s had todays ancillares, sensors,electronics, they would be stunning, true nobody needs 12 cylinders, but just the knowledge and grace of having one under the hood,is great for the ego.

by now we should realise, that a 4cylinder turbo engine is adequete, for any daily driver vehicle. AKA Ecoboost, and turbo Diesels are coming soon.