XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

"Big Brother" watching us?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 501 Likes on 299 Posts
Default "Big Brother" watching us?

As many American XJ owners are aware, today is the day we set our clocks back, in compliance with this country's "daylight savings time" custom. Many people, such as myself, set my clocks back on Saturday evening, so I wake up at the correct time on Sunday. As well as the clocks in the house, this also includes the clocks in the "family fleet" of vehicles.

Yesterday evening, I struggled to reset the clock in our newly purchased '16 XJ-L. I tried flipping through screens on the touch screen, to no avail. I looked through the 267 page owners manual, and found only one mention of the clock.....it's location on the instrument panel.

This morning, I again looked through the owners manual, as well as the 3-4 "start up information" packets that came with the car, again, to no avail. Then I got to thinking, so I went out to the garage and fired up the car, and sure enough, the clock was at the correct time.

My complaint???

The damned car is being "monitored" 24/7, by persons unknown! I know I griped about not being able to turn off the navigation system, with out 2102 XJ, therefore I felt that our travels could be monitored and tracked. It now seems that the 2016 car has taken this even further. I find this a bit unnerving.

BTW, if this is indeed the case, it seems that Jaguar, or those that author the owners manual, could at least mention that the clock is set automatically.....

Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,988 Likes on 7,215 Posts

Yes, a bit unnerving

I well remember these concerns first being raised circa 1997 when GM's "OnStar" system was released. It's probably safe to say that any car with a navigation system can be tracked and monitored....and certain functions controlled....by 'somebody'. There are numerous benevolent advantages....but privacy concerns are legitimate.

Additionally, today's cars....for many years in the past, actually.... have a airplane-like 'black box' capability that records road speed, braking events, throttle position, etc. Again, many positive uses for this....but whatever you do is being recorded

Cheers
DD

Old 11-06-2016, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't checked my car this morning but will do so.
I am assuming this is passed on from the cellular connection all 16's have now. So its a bit like your cell phone which also auto updates for DST/back from DST. To me I like to have to worry about one less clock to change but then again I am a bit of a tech geek myself and find some of the new in control features on this car pretty great. I have to agree the manual doesnt seem to be that great.

How do you find your 16 otherwise, understand your a previous Jag owner. This is my first and so far am really happy with it.

Cheers
Kay

Old 11-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 447 Likes on 393 Posts

Rest assured it's not that you're being monitored! These auto setting clocks are now really common - even in 10 dollar alarm clocks and wall clocks. There is a radio signal transmitted constantly that send time information. These clocks pick up the signal and that sets their time. I've always been surprised that it has taken so long to get this into cars - but good that it has now happened. Mine are sadly all 'manual update' still!

It can also be done via GPS as that has time and date Signalling. Or via cell signal too. But the passive radio pickup is by far the most common

The following users liked this post:
Doug (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kaysid
........How do you find your 16 otherwise, understand your a previous Jag owner. This is my first and so far am really happy with it.

Cheers
Kay

I'll start out by saying I'm a "full-tilt gearhead", rather than a "techie", therefore the additional gizmos that the '16 has, compared to the '12 don't do anything for me. In fact, I find it too confusing and complicated. I prefer a high performance car, not an electronic toy store.

Having said that, we do like the '16, with two exceptions. The first, of course, is the over complicated electronic gizmos. The second is the V-6, rather than the V-8. Yes, the 6, if you stand on it, has some zip, but I prefer the low-mid range "grunt" of a larger displacement V-8.

Since I bought this car out of dealer stock, I had to make a couple of compromises, too. One of them was the heated windshield. I find the reflections, created by oncoming headlights against the fine wires in the windshield, quite annoying.

Other than that, we like the car.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

if you're concerned about the big brother thats watching you in your Jag......then buddy you should turn off your phone REAL FAST. the amount of data google and apple collect about you at every second is beyond measuring. although im gunna assume that you dont use a smartphone for this very reason.

the clocks are controlled by GPS or Sat radio, which is how they were updated.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm perplexed as to why your 2012 XJL didn't update the clock automatically... my 2011 does. Also my 2013 Ram 1500 and my 2015 Ford Mustang. This is not new technology.

Dwayne

Old 11-07-2016, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'll start out by saying I'm a "full-tilt gearhead", rather than a "techie", I prefer a high performance car, not an electronic toy store.

Well said, I also could care less about navigation screens, I-pod connections, blue tooth... who would want blue teeth anyways I have always preferred white. Big brother has been watching for some time now as the cars black boxes have been around for a while. Can't we just "control, alt, delete" and all will be good?

Old 11-07-2016, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carzaddict
if you're concerned about the big brother thats watching you in your Jag......then buddy you should turn off your phone REAL FAST. the amount of data google and apple collect about you at every second is beyond measuring. although im gunna assume that you dont use a smartphone for this very reason.

the clocks are controlled by GPS or Sat radio, which is how they were updated.
I'm not a "tin foil hat" wearer, but I do put a high priority on privacy, and don't appreciate it being needlessly invaded. While I do have a cell phone, and do carry it some of the time, it's a very basic phone. I'm 64 years old, and have been able to manage pretty well, all these years, without being buried in technology.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (11-08-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

My 2013 XJ SuperSport clock does not update automatically and it may be because I do not subscribe to a satellite radio service.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJsss
My 2013 XJ SuperSport clock does not update automatically and it may be because I do not subscribe to a satellite radio service.
That's probably why our late, great 2012 didn't automatically update, either. We had the complimentary Sirius service when we bought the car, but didn't bother to renew it, because we stored the car for 4 months, during the winter, so it was a hassle to put the service off and on.

Along that line, however, I'll say this.....My winter driver is a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have the "base" radio, but do have the Sirius subscription, since I do drive it sometimes in the summer, too. My clock didn't update automatically.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm not a "tin foil hat" wearer, but I do put a high priority on privacy, and don't appreciate it being needlessly invaded. While I do have a cell phone, and do carry it some of the time, it's a very basic phone. I'm 64 years old, and have been able to manage pretty well, all these years, without being buried in technology.
Yet here you are on the internet willingly publishing all sorts of information about you, your location, what you do, what you drive, your likes, dislikes, etc. etc.

Your clock updated because it received a general broadcast signal, not because it sent out any info.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I am sure the radio signal and satellite feed are all monitored by the NSA and even if you turned off your cellular phone you can still be tracked unless the battery is removed, which is impossible to do on the newer phones...another NSA conspiracy to track everyone, everywhere.

There's no place to go, no place to hide.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And how exactly do the NSA track a phone that's switched off?

Old 11-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,929 Likes on 3,225 Posts

rilot, the theory is that even though the phone is powered off, parts of the phone are still active (hence why pushing a button causes it to power up). SO, with that thought in mind, did the GPS portion of the phone really turn off? Did the receiver for the phone turn off (ie, the phone is still in contact with cell towers and therefore your general location can still be known).

By no means am I a conspiracy theorist or someone that thinks the world is out to get me, but i do follow why people think what they think.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
rilot, the theory is that even though the phone is powered off, parts of the phone are still active (hence why pushing a button causes it to power up). SO, with that thought in mind, did the GPS portion of the phone really turn off? Did the receiver for the phone turn off (ie, the phone is still in contact with cell towers and therefore your general location can still be known).
that's not a theory that's a fact. ask anyone in law enforcement they'll tell they've used it to solve many crimes.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm really glad I don't worry about things like this.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rilot
I'm really glad I don't worry about things like this.
I am sure the MI5 does the same.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

For future reference, to manually change the clock just touch and hold your finger on the digital clock for a few seconds and it will show the adjustment screen. This is the same process for most (all?) jags with a touch screen from the X-Type onwards.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a radio transmitter in Colorado that transmits what time it continuously... thats one normal way the clocks change.

There is also a calendar programmed into the BIOS of a ton of electronic products that can cause it to update.

If our cars were operated by Tesla I could understand frequent updates, but since in 6 years of owning four new Jags, I have yet to turn my car on and notice an awesome new dash display or additional features (*cough - Pandora - cough*).