XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Brake pad suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake pad suggestions

I am a first time Jaguar owner, recently purchased a 2011 XJ, only had 16k miles, now little over 17k. One oddity, may be petty, but out of the many vehicles I have owned over the decades with disc brakes, I have never had one that generates this much brake dust. I sometimes have to clean the wheels once or twice more in between actual car washings because they get so caked that quickly. I am definitely looking to change out the pads to a low dust ceramic pad. Any suggestions on brands? I assume I can have this done outside the dealer without affecting the warranty? Thanks.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

Unfortunately I was told switching to non-original equipment caliper brake pads would void my warranty, so I held off doing so until the day after I exceeded my OEM 40,000 mile warranty. I forget which aftermarket ceramic pads I switched to (designated "red"?"), any way I simultaneously had caliper brake covers installed at the same time.

Between the two I would estimate my brake dust deposits have been reduced by ~75%. Not as good as when I switched to GM ceramic brake pads and caliper brake covers on my '09 Corvette where I experienced a ~90% reduction, but at least I can now drive my '11 Jaguar XJL around the block without having to clean the wheels.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,365 Posts

I put Power Stop ceramic brake pads on my old 2010 XFS, which I think has the same calipers and pads as a 2011 XJ, 355 mm front and 326 mm rear.
I went with the "street" ones, Z16, and I was very happy with them. Completely quiet, no squeak, squeal or graunch, and very very little dust. Also very reasonably priced. Plenty enough performance for normal street use, but maybe not good enough for track use.
See here: Z16 Ceramic Brake Pads | Power Stop

Last edited by OzXFR; 12-24-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info! A shame simply upgrading to a name brand quality brake pad will possibly void the warranty. I will check with the dealer to see if they can offer the pad upgrade at a reasonable price.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Unfortunately I was told switching to non-original equipment caliper brake pads would void my warranty, so I held off doing so until the day after I exceeded my OEM 40,000 mile warranty. I forget which aftermarket ceramic pads I switched to (designated "red"?"), any way I simultaneously had caliper brake covers installed at the same time.

Between the two I would estimate my brake dust deposits have been reduced by ~75%. Not as good as when I switched to GM ceramic brake pads and caliper brake covers on my '09 Corvette where I experienced a ~90% reduction, but at least I can now drive my '11 Jaguar XJL around the block without having to clean the wheels.
I call BS with this. I would change to non oem pads just to intentionally generate a lawsuit with your dealer if they dare deny anything because of it.

Dealers make tons of money on pads, wiper blades, tires and other non-service items along with the labor involved installing them just to be able to add on a few hundred bucks to your free services. Ignore their upselling techniques and get your own parts on-line. Install them yourself and you'll end up with better parts for much less.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 12-26-2015 at 11:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Clovis997 (05-31-2022)
Old 12-26-2015, 07:17 PM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts

I have been using Akebono pads for 5 years now Home | Akebono
in my wifes Jeep GC 08 model we have done nearly 100,000 kilomters and they are still half there and no visible lip on the rotors

I then installed them on my previous XJR6 rotors where in good condition so just did pads

Then 3 years ago I got a X350 XJ to replace the XJR6 the pads and rotors where nearly gone so already had ideas of what I wanted to do from the experience with the other cars

The new to me X350 had the same problem as the other cars dirty wheels all the time I hated having to clean the car weekly because of the wheels being dirty ugly
So late 2014 I fitted new stoptech drilled and slotted cryoed rotors and akebono pads hey presto clean wheels

I did some searching on the akebono site Akebono Online Parts Catalog
seems they only list pads for the rear and they are the same for XF and XJ

Very frustrating another reason why I wont be updating just yet to the new X351

I cant stand those dirty wheels either and no Akebono pads available yet I'll just keep the X350 for the time being (Oh and love those clean wheels)

Old 12-28-2015, 03:15 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

My rears wore out in 15k miles. It had brand new jaguar rotors & pads. The XJ always required cleaning the rear wheels due to the dust. I put on the middle grade rotors & ceramic pads from Centric. I used the original hardware, the Centric clips were too flimsy. I now have much less brake pad dust and the rotors are lasting much longer. I have put 6k miles on them with little to no wear on the rotors (the oem rotors would have shown a lot of wear). Total price for my rear break job including labor $330.00 US. We put 20k miles on the car a year, so the oem brakes just didn't make sense. I just couldn't get my wife to clean the rear wheels that often!

Old 12-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used EBC Redstuff pads and EBC slotted rotors on my 2010 XF. Braking performance was a lot better and there was much less dust. All parts totaled about $1,000 on Amazon (including sensors).

Old 12-28-2015, 09:43 PM
Received 2,260 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Unfortunately I was told switching to non-original equipment caliper brake pads would void my warranty, .
The only warranty it will void will be on the rotors and pads. Nothing else.