XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Button switch on door handle not working Jag XJ 2010

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Button switch on door handle not working Jag XJ 2010

Just discovered an annoying fault on my 2010 XJ X351 where one of the switches on the door handle no longer locks the car.

I have the habit of closing the drivers door and then pressing on the rear door to lock the but can't do that now.

just wondering if anyone has an easy fix and whether there's anything that unclips like the chrome bit on the door handle or whether it's a X dealer job whereby the door panel would have to be removed and the cost of the job probably might not be worth it.

Replies appreciated

Old 03-16-2016, 04:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi yes I had this issue with my handle on the passenger side. The fix was to replace a micro switch in the door handle itself. I had this done under warranty through my dealer. I hope that helps.

Conor

The following users liked this post:
Rocky15 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:52 AM

Many thanks

Unfortunately my car is out of warranty. Really annoying as I'll have to have the door panel removed etc and probably end up paying Jag to do this.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same problem here. It looks like the button is missing. I was at Jaguar Lookers in London for the sunroof creaking noise and rattling and the following problems. I am gonna describe the issue if you have one of those at least to know what to expect from dealer:
Door Handel button- 260£
Sticky door handles sometimes they get stuck - 190£
Driver seatbelt not retracting proprely- 350£
Dropped some coins into the ashtray and not opening proprely- 250£ (to remove the coins)
Driver door wind noise. Door seal need replacement- 80£ each (x2).

I've repaired only the sticky door handles and the door seal. The rest seemed expensive. I will repair them at a local garage. I've purchased the Jaguar XJ workshop manual to see if I can find anything in there. If anyone want's the manual just send me a PM with you email address and I will send it.

Rocky15 (04-05-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Looked in my online manual at ALLDATAdiy.com and it looks like your lucky day, to repair your handle microswitch will not require panel removal. See attached

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by XJsss:
cicirrigi (04-05-2016), Rocky15 (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by XJsss
Looked in my online manual at ALLDATAdiy.com and it looks like your lucky day, to repair your handle microswitch will not require panel removal. See attached
Many thanks for this info. I should be able to investigate the problem myself and replace the part. It's just very annoying my dealer makes a meal out of everything.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone share with me the jaguar part number for the micro switch?

Old 04-07-2017, 05:10 AM

Sorry but I have no idea as I haven't had mine repaired as yet but have you taken off the door handle yet and if so was it easy.

epvanwoerkom (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Received 185 Likes on 149 Posts
epvanwoerkom (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

Jaguar sell a service repair kit for the microswitch which involves removing the button module and replacing it.

For a 2010 the kit is C2D14992 @ £90. The same part is fitted to all the handles.

There are a few on eBay at the moment, one is just £18 on the UK site (auction 262923086827). If buying used check for dirt that indicates it has previously been fitted and reject if found.

Swapping is really easy, but you do need a long torx screwdriver to release the handle. There is just one bolt to remove that is accessible under a cover on the opening edge of the door. You need to loosen that bolt but not remove it (it is captive), then the fixed part of the handle just pulls straight out of the door allowing you to unhook the main handle and then remove it entirely.

Once you have the handle out then from memory you slide out the chrome blade and then the switch assembly can be removed. I can't find the steps for that, and it has been a while, so apologies if I've missed anything out.

The steps with diagrams are attached to this post.

I will also add that the connector is attached to a sliding track that pivots out to expose it from the outside without having to disassemble the door. There is a little lever you can hook your finger onto, but you need to slide it out by touch not sight. You may need to examine the diagrams carefully and feel around inside the door to work it out. Just remember it pivots, not pulls straight. The lever is shown in the diagram for step 3 with a 'Click' label.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X351-WSM-Removing door handle.pdf (111.6 KB, 559 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
Angus (04-10-2017), epvanwoerkom (04-07-2017)
Old 04-12-2018, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle switch replacement

Hi .. im trying to fix a faulty door lock switch on my XJ (X351) and following your instructions i have managed to remove the door handle, but i cant figure out how you slide out the chrome blade to get to the switch module - can you give any more detail on how this is done? (I dont want to break it!)

Many Thanks

Rich

Originally Posted by xdave
Jaguar sell a service repair kit for the microswitch which involves removing the button module and replacing it.

For a 2010 the kit is C2D14992 @ £90. The same part is fitted to all the handles.

There are a few on eBay at the moment, one is just £18 on the UK site (auction 262923086827). If buying used check for dirt that indicates it has previously been fitted and reject if found.

Swapping is really easy, but you do need a long torx screwdriver to release the handle. There is just one bolt to remove that is accessible under a cover on the opening edge of the door. You need to loosen that bolt but not remove it (it is captive), then the fixed part of the handle just pulls straight out of the door allowing you to unhook the main handle and then remove it entirely.

Once you have the handle out then from memory you slide out the chrome blade and then the switch assembly can be removed. I can't find the steps for that, and it has been a while, so apologies if I've missed anything out.

The steps with diagrams are attached to this post.

I will also add that the connector is attached to a sliding track that pivots out to expose it from the outside without having to disassemble the door. There is a little lever you can hook your finger onto, but you need to slide it out by touch not sight. You may need to examine the diagrams carefully and feel around inside the door to work it out. Just remember it pivots, not pulls straight. The lever is shown in the diagram for step 3 with a 'Click' label.