XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Buying Used

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Buying Used

After a few lean years after selling my XF and driving a VW I am in a position to by another one. When searching I found XJs now coming into my price range, and I'm going to go for the XJ as I love the look of it, inside and out. It will be a fairly early / high mileage diesel as that's my spending limit.

Any buying advice / things to look out for would be great. I know the engines are fine and I will obviously make sure all the electrics are working.

Also, any spec advice? They all look pretty good to me but did they all come with DAB digital radios? Been unable to find a UK brochure for the early years. I've also got used to adaptive cruise, was this part of a pack, I guess it wasn't standard looking at my Australian and American brochures.

Any thoughts much appreciated

Many thanks,
Pete

Old 04-16-2016, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Key thing to check on a test drive is roof "popping" noises. Cars up to about 2012 suffered from this, which consist of "popping" or "cracking" noises coming from the roof area. So the test drive needs to go along some bumpy, broken streets. Of course, this doesn't bother some owners, but it did drive the editor of the JEC magazine mad, and was eventually fixed. Jaguar had a major action to sort the issue out. Apart from this, I am told by the independent that maintain my car (THE previous model and no sunshine roof !) that the car is very reliable. The diesel-related issues that plagued the previous model were sorted out.

The following users liked this post:
poketastic (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 06:23 AM

Thank you Fraser. Where can I find some bumpy roads in Norfolk? Oh yes, everywhere. Actually creaks and rattles don't bother me like some people as I always have music on, as long as it's just a noise and not a serious problem that must be fixed. I'll look out for it though, thanks again.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

poketastic, it is my understanding that the adaptive cruise control is an option, not standard equipment (my 12 XJ does not have adaptive cruise). So, if that is something you must have, then you will need to pay attention to which vehicle you get.

Like was mentioned, the biggest problem this car has suffered from is the sunroof making creaking/cracking sounds as the body flexes. Not that big of a deal to most.

One thing that I will point out and this is something that can go either way, you may want to look at the XJL version if you are planning on having people in the back a lot. The XJL has an extra 6 inches (15 cm) of leg room and all the earlier versions came with airline trays for the rear seats. Not that the standard XJ is lacking in room for the rear seat, but if you are getting something like the XJ, might as well make it as comfy for all as possible.

poketastic (04-16-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 12:48 PM

The long wheelbase model is interesting because they cost more to buy new and have nice features, but second hand don't seem to command much if any premium. Missus has to park it though...

Old 04-17-2016, 04:11 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

poketastic, the additional length is going to be minimal in adding to the complexity of parking. I say drive both of them and attempt to park each one. I find parking the XJ very easy. But then, I am used to driving a Ford Expedition and here in the US, the parking lots tend to be a bit more open than over near you.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:21 AM

I can tell you this from experience, as I just bought my first Jaguar this year.

1. Make sure you get a CPO.
2. Make sure you inspect the brakes yourself, and ensure they are OEM. If they are not OEM find a different dealership. Jaguar requires the brakes to be OEM to certify the car, and if they are not your dealership is cutting corners so what else did they over look?
3. Watch for roof popping noise.
4. Try to get a car with AT LEAST 30 days left on the original warranty to get any issues covered FAST. The more time you have left on original warranty the better.
5. JaguarUSA is a great place to comparison shop prices across the nation to help get the best deal. Non CPO cars are all over the map, but the Certified cars fall into a much tighter price point based on the model you are looking for.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:22 AM

Thanks GreggF, I'm guessing that a CPO is an American thing as I don't know what that means! Good idea with the warranty though. Hope you're enjoying your car.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I recall seeing in another thread, that the 2011 (2012 also?) XJs had some kind of rust problems.. There were pictures of this problem.. I believe on this forum. You might want to check it out.
I have a 2013 and my car seem to have different system than was shown in the 2011 rusted sunroof. For 2013, the portion, which was getting scratched and rusted was changed to plastic (I think - not 100% sure).
I have a 2013 xj and 2012 xf - both under 30k miles.. Excellent cars. Absolutely trouble free..

And yes, CPO - certified pre owned program is common in USA - typiecally offers 6 years (from date of service of the car) and 100k mile extended warranty - probably close to the factory warranty but might not be as good. I am not sure..

Old 04-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I just want to second Thermo's suggestion that you consider an XJL. The difference in rear legroom is phenomenal while it makes very little difference in parallel parking. We primarily purchased our Jaguar for trips and our son and daughter-in-law often travel with us so rear seat comfort was important. We have never regretted the decision.

Dwayne

retriever-007 (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Default New Arrival

Originally Posted by jaguarxjl
I recall seeing in another thread, that the 2011 (2012 also?) XJs had some kind of rust problems.. There were pictures of this problem.. I believe on this forum. You might want to check it out.
I have a 2013 and my car seem to have different system than was shown in the 2011 rusted sunroof. For 2013, the portion, which was getting scratched and rusted was changed to plastic (I think - not 100% sure).
I have a 2013 xj and 2012 xf - both under 30k miles.. Excellent cars. Absolutely trouble free..

And yes, CPO - certified pre owned program is common in USA - typiecally offers 6 years (from date of service of the car) and 100k mile extended warranty - probably close to the factory warranty but might not be as good. I am not sure..

Thank you for that. Had a good look at the sunroof and took a test drive including going over some speed humps, all seemed good. Can't believe there aren't more common issues given the amount of electrics. I'm picking mine up in 8 days and counting, quite excited now.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Im selling mine to buy a BMW i8 I have on order.

The guys here know my car and can attest to it from afar....LOL

Heres the link.

Jaguar XJ Platinum | eBay

Let me know what you think.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Im selling mine to buy a BMW i8 I have on order.

The guys here know my car and can attest to it from afar....LOL

Heres the link.

Jaguar XJ Platinum | eBay

Let me know what you think.
Ended up with an F-Type, car still for sale.