XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Buying an XJ

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Buying an XJ

Going to buy an XJ in the next 12 months, not sure whether it is going to be new or used. What model year did Jaguar put the new updated touchscreen electronic packages like the 2017 model has?

Old 06-30-2017, 05:10 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

From what I've read, I'm pretty sure it's only updated with the modern electronics in 2016-17 cars. Other wise there is the 13-16 screen that gets a few software updates but is the same screen. And then the original screen from 11-12, which is considered to be very slow and dated. You can also easily swap the 11-12 cars screens with the 13-16 screen, but not to the newest version. I've heard 13 MY seems to have decent enough electronics, but the older ones are very slow. I have an 11 and it's very slow but does not bother me at all, and I actually like the look of the 11 version.

The following users liked this post:
MV Rider (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 05:14 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyS1
From what I've read, I'm pretty sure it's only updated with the modern electronics in 2016-17 cars. Other wise there is the 13-16 screen that gets a few software updates but is the same screen. And then the original screen from 11-12, which is considered to be very slow and dated. You can also easily swap the 11-12 cars screens with the 13-16 screen, but not to the newest version. I've heard 13 MY seems to have decent enough electronics, but the older ones are very slow.
This is correct. I have a '13 XJL with version 2 touch interface. It is a slightly outdated, but more than acceptable in looks and performance. To me, it fits the personality of the car. Jaguar makes them to be a driving machine, not a computer on wheels.

If you want the latest and greatest, you need to buy a '16-up XJ with InControl Touch Pro. It is a wide screen with updated interface and graphics. We have it in our '17 F-Pace and I find it easy to use and pleasingly modern. I like the high res back up camera. If I have anything to say negative about my XJ, its that the back-up camera is crap.

Your purchase will depend on your budget. If you can swing a '16 or '17, by all means go that way. However, the best deal will be on a '13-15. These are great cars, too. Many can be found with less than 30,000 miles, some with half that, and if you go to a dealer, the Jaguar pre-owned warranty is an excellent option. Best wishes!

Old 07-02-2017, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the great replies. Not sure which way I will go but will definitely be getting an XJ. Will have to be British Racing Green with London tan and Burl Walnut. I am not in love with the wood wrapped wheel but I may have to settle for one with it.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by MV Rider
Thanks for the great replies. Not sure which way I will go but will definitely be getting an XJ. Will have to be British Racing Green with London tan and Burl Walnut. I am not in love with the wood wrapped wheel but I may have to settle for one with it.
It's funny what appeals to people and what doesn't. When I bought my car, I definitely wanted the wood steering wheel. I would have considered one without it if the deal was good enough because the steering wheel can be purchased separately and installed but, trust me, that is not an inexpensive undertaking! Personally, I much prefer the look and the feel of wood as opposed to leather but everybody is different! Good luck with finding the car of your dreams!

Dwayne

Old 07-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,426 Likes on 3,514 Posts

Which engine do you prefer?

BRG/London Tan is classic Old School. traditional British style - but very hard to find. You might want to consider other interiors, such as Truffle/Cashew as in my XJ.

+1 on burl walnut:

Old 07-03-2017, 10:55 AM

My wife had truffle/cashew in her Carnelian Red XF. I lost her to cancer and while it is very pretty it would be too hard. I want to be old school there , old chap.