XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

C110D-64 Failed RF damper solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 02:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,892 Likes on 3,199 Posts
Default C110D-64 Failed RF damper solenoid

All, would anyone have a part number for the damper solenoid on the right front of the car. I have been battling a Dynamic Suspension Fault that has gotten to the point that pretty much any time the car moves forward, the fault acts up and makes the car ride like a brick. I connected the SDD and this is the code that it gave me. Looking in the repair manual I have, it says that the part number should be C1CD11 or C1CL15A. These seem to relate to electrical connections. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I need to get out and just do a simple inspection to see if it is just something as simple as the connector came undone. I could only hope. But ,I have a feeling that the solenoid failed. I do know that if I do a resistance check of the solenoid, it should be 2 to 3.5 ohms. So, we'll see what a multimeter and a good visual says.

On a completely unrelated note, does it take forever for SDD to boot? This was my first time using it and I did have a laptop (not the fastest thing in the world, but should be more than sufficient) that was running on the battery. Just seemed to hang as it was trying to get started. But, it did eventually start. Maybe it has to read all the computers before it will let you start with anything. Granted, seems a little backwards as it would do this, then ask you for the VIN number of your car. I would think that it would want to know the VIN before quizzing all the computers so it would know what to expect. Just curious if others have noticed the same thing.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,365 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Yes my SDD takes forever to boot or do anything. Mine is the same whether on the bench or hooked to the car.
The best thing I have learned is to let it be. Just walk away until I am sure it's either done or locked up.
But the more I use it the less I get locked up so a lot of it is user error.

It should read the VIN automatically?
What color was the battery indicator in SDD?
I could be wrong but if it's not green you can do some things but not all things.

Once I started using the battery power supply SDD worked much better and somewhat faster.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

airth, I had the car running, so, the battery voltage was good. Once it came up, all the check marks were green. It was just my first time using it. So, wasn't sure quite what to expect. I was able to maneuver through the software well enough to find all the codes I needed to atleast for this project. Granted, I have a feeling my next project may be a bit more computer intensive as both of my roof shades have gone in and now will not come out. If you push the button, it sounds like the motor is trying to eat itself. I know it is just the gear slipping on the drive mechanism. Now I just need to figure out why it wants to keep trying to open the blind when it is already fully open. I had the headliner down yesterday trying to figure out the issue, but realized that what I wanted to get at was too far buried to continue. Besides, because both of them failed pretty much back to back, I am not thinking it is mechanical, it is more electronics. So, I am hoping that with a little bit of fumbling around inside SDD, I can somehow trigger the system to attempt to close the blinds and hopefully that will let it reset itself. Maybe there is a function inside of SDD that will do that. I tried the sunroof reset (which I think does the blinds too), but because the blinds were not in the closed position, it couldn't find the full open point. Pulling fuse F21 in the rear fuse box (inside the rear seat) didn't seem to reset the control module. Or, did I pull a dummy move that is the cabinet fuse box and the rear fuse box is actually in the trunk? If so, no wonder why removing power didn't reset the module. So many fuse boxes in this car.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

My tech encountered the same fault and as the solenoid is, to the best of my knowledge, internal to the shock. The right shock was replace under warranty. I had them, also at my expense, replace the left shock at the same time and then a couple of weeks later replaced the rears. I bought my shocks off of rock auto and used Bilstien shocks and the XJ rides better than new.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:13 PM
Veteran member

XJsss, after a little more reading about the Dynamic Suspension Fault, I was starting to come to that realization. What I thought was the solenoid seems to be the ride height sensor plug. So, guess I need to find some new front shocks. I will have to check out Rock Auto. I am been finding them so far for about $300 each. Kinda hoping to find them a little cheaper. Looking, should be fairly easy to replace. Just need to get a spring compressor to help in getting them out of the car. The only other trick i see is the bottom bolt. I hope I don't have to pop the tie rod out of the spindle to get that bolt out. It will be close.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:25 PM
Received 226 Likes on 145 Posts

Sorry cant give much advise on your shock/solenoid issue but on SDD the older versions run slower than newer. I use 138, which covers X351's, and found it much faster than earlier versions v130/v134. Still SDD is inherently slow so last mod I made was to replace my laptop hard drive with an ssd. I find it now zips along so for $30 a good investment. BTW I used a imaging program, Acronis backup & restore, to backup my laptop mechanical hard drive and restore it on the ssd so fortunately didn't have to load SDD all over again.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:02 PM
Veteran member

hafren, I am running V159. If that is "fast", then oh boy. I pity those with the older versions. May need to do what you said and do a solid state drive. Granted, for how much I see me using the laptop, what I have is probably good enough. I have a laptop that I have dedicated to just the Jag. So, we'll see. Hopefully it will get some more use when members come over and we look at their cars and do some repair work.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Thermo I'd suggest that when you replace the shocks that you might replace the upper isolators and mounts. As the mounts are known to fail over time and the isolators can deform to the spring placement.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

XJsss, that was what I was figuring. If I am going to do this, might as well do what all needs to be done and not skip some of the important things.

The following users liked this post:
XJsss (04-19-2020)