XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Cabin making slight creaking noises

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015 | 11:18 AM
|
Default Cabin making slight creaking noises

So the first obvious cabin creaking noise was fixed which was the sun roof.
However, I noticed that there are also other creaking noises coming out from pretty much all over the cabin. Some sounds like the interior is making noise like the leather is moving. ( you know that noise that leather makes when you sit down in it)
It is a huge and heavy luxury car, not much plastics or light materials used.
Curious if this is normal due to the car shifting around its balance and everything in it during movement, or something else?

Old 12-11-2015 | 11:24 AM

Here is my bit - I have a 2014 XJ and I had the creaking roof noise

Went to Jaguar Portugal and they were suprised - they know about the problem but they were surprised to see it happen in a 2014 car ( they said post 2013 car with this problem are non existant ).

So, they "fixed" it once, or they said.

After a day or two, the noises returned. So back to Jaguar the car goes and they said the car would have to wait a couple of weeks, for a whole new roof mechanism to come over the UK to solve the problem.

It did - I've put more than 8,000kms on the car so far and it has been flawless.

It does show ( well, we can hear ) a slight creak on the dash - only when it is very cold morning - contraction of the leather ? when it warms up the weather, we dont hear it.

Last time they did all sort of things to the car, and fix a lot of noises, the cabin is virtually creak sound proof now - apart from that little dash noise. They said in January they are having some Jaguar UK techs here in Portugal and to bring the car in at that time and I agreed.

But they warned me - XJ is mostly leather based interior and leather expands and contracts... so get used to it lol

Old 12-11-2015 | 12:52 PM
|

So besides the roof creaking noise which they fixed you virtually hear no creaking from anywhere now ?
Do you think i should take it in? How would they even know where to begin ? I cant tell where the noises are coming from

Old 12-11-2015 | 01:07 PM

Sorry - before the roof noises, my car had a few noises.

they fixed all of them except the dash one.

I had :

- some broken part in the pillar
- loose stuff on the other pillar
- something wrong in the door

and these made creaking / loose stuff noises. they fixed them all.

to be 100% honest, I never noticed the dash noise - when I picked up the car ( last roof noise and creaking stuff fix ) they said - we fixed everything but there is a bit of dash creak - on cold weather. to be 100% thorough we need to take the whole dash apart, that will take a week or so.

since I had the car at Jaguar Portugal for almost 3 weeks ( new roof in, etc etc ) I was eager to take the car back.

to be 300% honest, the dash noise is soooooo every once ( about 10 secs per month ? if that much ) that I think I wont bother them with that ( have another thing for them to fix ).

My car is a 2014 one, so its under warranty - so it doesnt cost me a penny to send the car in for these things.

Old 12-11-2015 | 01:21 PM
|

So what advice do you recommend me point out for noise when i go in to service? I clearly cant point out where its coming from since i cant put my ear next to it

Old 12-11-2015 | 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

You have asked many questions and I refrain from replying to any forum member that asks us to be mind readers. All we know is that you drive an XJ but you have no year or model mentioned. It would be nice if you created a signature that tells model year, model, and XJ or XJL.

Last edited by XJsss; 12-11-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-11-2015 | 03:54 PM

A question sonic--what do you like about your Jaguar?

Old 12-12-2015 | 11:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJsss
You have asked many questions and I refrain from replying to any forum member that asks us to be mind readers. All we know is that you drive an XJ but you have no year or model mentioned. It would be nice if you created a signature that tells model year, model, and XJ or XJL.
Robert,

I agree with your signature recommendation, however, the OP's public profile shows that he has a 2012 XJ Portfolio.

Best regards,

Stuart

Old 12-13-2015 | 11:52 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Stuart, but when I first checked his profile it simply said XJ, so I must have made some small impression.

Old 12-14-2015 | 07:47 PM
From: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.

Originally Posted by sonicd0012
So the first obvious cabin creaking noise was fixed which was the sun roof.
However, I noticed that there are also other creaking noises coming out from pretty much all over the cabin. Some sounds like the interior is making noise like the leather is moving. ( you know that noise that leather makes when you sit down in it)
It is a huge and heavy luxury car, not much plastics or light materials used.
Curious if this is normal due to the car shifting around its balance and everything in it during movement, or something else?
The entire XJ body, excluding door hinges and side impact beams, is made of a "light material" called aluminum.

Steel, which most car bodies are made of, weighs about 2.5 times more than aluminum.

However, aluminum has a thermal expansion or contraction rate of about twice that of steel, meaning that the XJ's aluminum body dimensions grow or shrink twice as fast as a steel bodied car with comparable changes in temperature. In addition, aluminum is about one-third as stiff as steel, meaning an aluminum bodied car will flex three times as much under equal deflection forces.

Long story short, an aluminum bodied vehicle will provide superior performance (acceleration, braking, turning capabilities), and economics (fuel consumption, brake life, transmission life, reduced corrosion), in exchange for a noisier structure due to body expansion, contraction and flex.

The following 2 users liked this post by johndahlheimer:
Goncalo Proenca (12-16-2015), sheerplat (12-17-2015)
Old 12-16-2015 | 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
The entire XJ body, excluding door hinges and side impact beams, is made of a "light material" called aluminum.

Steel, which most car bodies are made of, weighs about 2.5 times more than aluminum.

However, aluminum has a thermal expansion (...)
Fantastic explanation ! Thank you !

Old 12-17-2015 | 08:52 AM

I had a rattling noise coming from where the speaker cover attaches to the panel. Drove me crazy. Dealer took out panel and reshaped the fitting. Problem solved. However, every once in awhile I do hear a minor creak in the sunroof or in the driver side door. I'm hoping those don't get any worse.

Old 12-17-2015 | 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by sheerplat
I had a rattling noise coming from where the speaker cover attaches to the panel. Drove me crazy. Dealer took out panel and reshaped the fitting. Problem solved. However, every once in awhile I do hear a minor creak in the sunroof or in the driver side door. I'm hoping those don't get any worse.
Your car is a 2013 one - XJ carry a 3 year warranty - get the car to the dealer, they will fix it for free.

On my car, they had to dissasemble the entire roof ( glass et all ) to install new supporting "hooks".

It completly cured the problem, but I thanked so much for having a warranty in my car - did not want to phantom the labour cost involved....