XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Can I tell if my water pump has been updated with a scope cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:07 PM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Can I tell if my water pump has been updated with a scope cam?

No record of it in service, but at 60k miles I Assume it must have been done at some point. I know it's not easy to see under the intake. Just wondering if there's a way I could tell via my endoscope somehow?

Old 03-25-2021, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Silverstones, depending on the year of your car, it may be as easy as seeing what plastic tubing is on the outside of the water pump. If you have a car that is MY 2013 or older, then you can simply look above the waterpump at the small tubing there. Original water pumps have a Y in the tubing with 3 tubes attached. The newer versions, the Y is still there, but the one port is blocked off and runs no where. I am sure there are other differences over the different variations of water pumps that Jaguar has made to correct this issue. This Y piece comes up fairly high and atleast on my car (NA 2012 5.0L), you can see it right behind the intake.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Take a look at the area where the part number and manufacturer are located. Post a picture of it here. Old bad ones say "FoMoCo". Newer good ones say Jaguar Land Rover or some such. However, there have been multiple revisions of later ones.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:09 PM

I forgot to mention that I have a supercharged 5.0, which means the intake is crowding things a bit more. I see what I think is a Y, but only two pipes. I don't see a third, blocked off or otherwise

Old 03-25-2021, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
Take a look at the area where the part number and manufacturer are located. Post a picture of it here. Old bad ones say "FoMoCo". Newer good ones say Jaguar Land Rover or some such. However, there have been multiple revisions of later ones.
I stuffed my scope down there but not much room to maneuver. There's a rubber coolant pipe with a big fat FoMoCo on there but nothing much I could see

Old 03-25-2021, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

The Y pipe thing is actually a separate part, replaced under a later technical bulletin where they thought that perhaps by re-routing the flow a little bit it may help. That may or may not have been changed with the water pump. There have been at least eight part number changes over the years, some design revisions and others just different suppliers. The original did say FoMoCo. If it doesn't say FoMoCo, then its been changed at least once. But that doesn't mean that its fixed, because they still haven't figured out how to fix it. Version #8 is no better than version #1. However, I'm about convinced that its not the pump itself that's the problem but rather must be some other aspect of the cooling system design (they were maybe on the right track with the hose re-route). You're lucky tho as it seems from my anecdotal reading here that the XJs and XKs are somewhat less affected than the XF's. At least its not a terrible job. Heck on an old Chevy small block in the 1960s, all the engine accessory brackets were mounted to the water pump so you'd have to remove the power steering pump, alternator and a/c compressor to replace it. This one is a piece of cake.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by pdupler
The Y pipe thing is actually a separate part, replaced under a later technical bulletin where they thought that perhaps by re-routing the flow a little bit it may help. That may or may not have been changed with the water pump. There have been at least eight part number changes over the years, some design revisions and others just different suppliers. The original did say FoMoCo. If it doesn't say FoMoCo, then its been changed at least once. But that doesn't mean that its fixed, because they still haven't figured out how to fix it. Version #8 is no better than version #1. However, I'm about convinced that its not the pump itself that's the problem but rather must be some other aspect of the cooling system design (they were maybe on the right track with the hose re-route). You're lucky tho as it seems from my anecdotal reading here that the XJs and XKs are somewhat less affected than the XF's. At least its not a terrible job. Heck on an old Chevy small block in the 1960s, all the engine accessory brackets were mounted to the water pump so you'd have to remove the power steering pump, alternator and a/c compressor to replace it. This one is a piece of cake.
OK I Guess I Can assume then that my pump is updated, as the intakes are in the way, all I Can see is a 2 prong y, not a 3 prong. No hope of seeing the front of it without removing intakes.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

The Newer Italian pumps appear to be much more reliable I've got over 50k miles on it and no leaks.

Old FoMoCo Pump

Current Italian Pump Note Land Rover Logo

Old 03-28-2021, 09:33 AM

Thanks to @XJsss for the clear picture of where to look. Unfortunately, mine does not have this logo. In fact, I have no idea what this logo is even supposed to be.

Car is 2011 Supercharged with 60k miles. I can't believe it's never been done. But it's definitely not a LR logo

Can I tell if my water pump has been updated with a scope cam?-posuxdu.jpg

Old 03-28-2021, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Silvertonesx24 That is the old FoMoCo pump. Look at my first photo at the left edge and you will see a similar stamping. as a matter of a fact I recently had a small coolant leak and purchased a new water pump that I had in my trunk for my Jaguar Dealer Tech to use if he needed it along with a new front crossover pipe and associated bolts and tubes. (my dealer will install proper customer supplied parts as they charge a fortune for parts) Turned out my leak was a heater hose at the back right corner of the engine. He was able to replace that and also used the new crossover pipe I had in the trunk and added a new rear crossover pipe as we were replacing seeping cam cover gaskets.

Old 03-28-2021, 10:11 AM

Thanks, not the greatest news, but better news finding about it now rather than on a failure. Looks doable DIY at least. With all of the failures I've heard around 30k miles or so, can't believe mine has lasted this long

Old 03-31-2021, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,349 Likes on 1,849 Posts

I am not sure that is the old FoMoCo pump?
Look at my water pump thread. It was replaced by the dealer and was listed as the correct 3909 replacement pump on the service invoice. Mine has the same symbol yours does.
I have a picture posted - Take a look?
Replace Water Pump

Old 04-01-2021, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I am not sure that is the old FoMoCo pump?
Look at my water pump thread. It was replaced by the dealer and was listed as the correct 3909 replacement pump on the service invoice. Mine has the same symbol yours does.
I have a picture posted - Take a look?
Replace Water Pump
Interesting, although my big pipe that leaves the water pump has a big fat FoMoCo still on it, but I do have that 45 degree nipple that is unplugged.

Im hesitant now on going though with a swap even though I ordered the parts, as whatever pump I have isn't currently giving me any issues. I haven't pressure tested the system yet, but I do not have any visible leaks.