XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Can You Pull Previous service Records? Trying to Build Case Against Jaguar NA

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Can You Pull Previous service Records? Trying to Build Case Against Jaguar NA

I'm trying to help build a case with my lawyers against Jaguar and my continualy problem plagued vehicle. If you've been on here since December, you can easily remember some of the things I've complained about. I've been fighting with them on and off since I got the car and unfortunately, I've gotten nowhere. I've had a lot going on in my life and having to entertain a lawsuit wasn't something I wanted to get to unless necessary - and they've made it necessary.

I'm curious what the service record was like prior to me taking ownership of the vehicle (IE: did it have any issues when it was the dealerships leased vehicle). I want to know if they knew about these problems as I am, quite frankly, beyond tired of having to document every think that continues to go wrong.

My car now has been dying at will when I try to accelerate. Granted, it happens infrequently, but even dying once is one too many times. This last time was me trying to cross and intersection and almost getting t-boned. I have video of the check engine light coming on and off afterwards, but unfortunately, I don't drive around with a camera in my hands trying to prove my case.

If someone has access to pulling service records, I'd really appreciate it. If you PM/Email me, I'll send you the VIN.

Thanks!
Clyde

PS - If someone who has been following my escapades has any other help they might be able provide me, I'm all ears.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loosing power with my 2011 XJL

Hi - I have had more problems with my 2011 than I care to write about.

But one that might be relevant for you is the fact that twice, after going over minor/moderate bumps on the road, the traction to the rear weels was lost... I would push down to accelerate but the car was unresponsive... on both occasions, I had to pull on the side of the road and restart the car and it was normal again. Each time it flaskhed some error message about traction issues... but I was too freaked out and trying to avoid traffic to really note the exact words. The car is at my dealer right now... apparently they were able to download some error codes and are waiting to hear from jaguar on it....

Meanwhile I am driving a XF 2011 loaner and it is such a better car than the half-baked XJL....

Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have access, to warranty claim that are submitted. But to be quite honest with you, the only things you will probably see is what you've done since you owned the car, and all the service actions and enhancments that were done, the newXJ hasn't been in the US that long. It's only been in the US in production for almost a year now

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I'm trying to help build a case with my lawyers against Jaguar and my continualy problem plagued vehicle. If you've been on here since December, you can easily remember some of the things I've complained about. I've been fighting with them on and off since I got the car and unfortunately, I've gotten nowhere. I've had a lot going on in my life and having to entertain a lawsuit wasn't something I wanted to get to unless necessary - and they've made it necessary.

I'm curious what the service record was like prior to me taking ownership of the vehicle (IE: did it have any issues when it was the dealerships leased vehicle). I want to know if they knew about these problems as I am, quite frankly, beyond tired of having to document every think that continues to go wrong.

My car now has been dying at will when I try to accelerate. Granted, it happens infrequently, but even dying once is one too many times. This last time was me trying to cross and intersection and almost getting t-boned. I have video of the check engine light coming on and off afterwards, but unfortunately, I don't drive around with a camera in my hands trying to prove my case.

If someone has access to pulling service records, I'd really appreciate it. If you PM/Email me, I'll send you the VIN.

Thanks!
Clyde

PS - If someone who has been following my escapades has any other help they might be able provide me, I'm all ears.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

The answer on this one is quiet simple.
1.) all service records for the cars are in the dealer system which are networked
2.) If there is a legal case you will ask for "discovery" and your attorney should list that Jaguar turn over all kind of documents listed on the discovery request. In addition there may be depositions at which Jaguar dealer employees will testify under oath.

With discovery you will receive the service records. The opposing attorney may ask to suppress those as irrelevant, BUT your attorney will argue that they are relevant and a judge will decide if those are in.

I would not expect that either a dealership or Jaguar itself will knowingly suppress documents. The dealer ship doesn't want to run tino a mess with the judge. Their employess won't get paid enough to lie under oath. So chances are is that you will get most of the documents you are looking for once you go to trial.

It takes only one disgruntled Jaguar dealership employee to reveal the existance of records Jaguar or their dealers may withold.

Other then that, NO, you won't get any other records from Jaguar but the ones you got with your service visits. They are internal dealership or manufacturer records and they will not nor do they have to release them to anyone else unless a judge orders them to do so.

However, there are some sources, such as car fax which list simple service visits to dealers. Not sure how they end up in car fax.

Frankly, I don't understand why Jaguar isn't a bit more accomodating for the people who have problems with there cars. I understand it may be a small number compared to the cars they sold (I am for once happy with mine AFTER a few items had been succesfully corrected, which did take may be a total of 5 service days over 6 months during which I had a brand new XF loaner)
But even if a small number of people ended up with problem cars, those people paid a lot of money for their cars and these people can cause a lot of damage to Jaguar's reputation. Wouldn't it be just more cost efficient for Jaguar to accomodate those people within reasons. (Of course after sorting out the few buyers who complain out of buyer's remorse or simply the ones who are unreasonable).
Problem I see, is that rarely a Jaguar rep goes out of their way to actually go with the customer through all the problems point by point and in person. So people feel that a lot of time, all what they get is lip service. And that is very upsetting.
But, don't think that it is any different if you buy newly release BMW, Mercedes, Lexus or what ever. Check their boards. You will see the same problems and complaints.

I for once love my car and I found that having an excellent dealership with great techs makes all the difference. Unfortunatley some dealerships are not up to the job and I think Jaguar has some work to do don that end.