XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Car accident. Waiting for two parts. Been months. Question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Car accident. Waiting for two parts. Been months. Question.

Long story short.

My car has been at the shop since August 28th. I'm waiting on two parts, headliner and driver seat cover (it rained and the window was cracked and the seat got wet and they replaced it).

My dealer is always on point and has always taken care of my cars... but it's been 2.5 months. This is no way the dealers fault, but has anyone ever gotten any compensation from Jaguar NA of any sort for not having their vehicle due to a parts shortage?

Headliner and seat cover seems like a silly thing to be waiting on. They dont have any black leather seat covers? They can't make a head liner?

Paying for the car... paying insurance... car is sitting.

What adds insult to injury is that I had to rent a car for the first month or so because my insurance company when they redid the policy when I added my wifes new car, remove the rental coverage... so I paid for a rental, which isn't cheap and are carless. Granted, I have a new XF... but come on... that doesn't compare to a new loaded XJ.

I'm not one to complain to complain... I sucked up the rental the first month because that's my fault for not confirming my policy - but this is getting silly.

Do I have to just keep sucking it up? I'm on my fourth Jag since 2010, short of my first one in 2010 that was super low VIN and had all the problems (I was polite when I voice concern), I've been pretty patient and relatively quiet customer... guess I'm just seeing if anyone else has been in the same boat and if J/NA did anything for them or if it's just waiting time...

...I did email the one account on here that people go to, we shall see what she /he says as well about sourcing the part.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,955 Likes on 7,198 Posts

I can't speak about Jaguar specifically but manufacturers typically have an escalation process that can be put into play to address parts back-order problems. I suspect the dealer has already done so....but it couldn't hurt to ask. You might ask the dealer to put you in contact with their parts & service zone representative who knows what buttons might be waiting to be pushed...as opposed to a contracted 'call center' person in some far away land.

Jaguar is probably waiting for the vendor to make the parts up, or is (to state the obvious, I reckon) having a vendor problem.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-15-2016, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

If the parts order has been VOR with Jaguar then there is little you can do but have your dealer keep escalating it over and over. Sadly your position is not uncommon - interior trim parts like covers and head linings can sometimes take 6 months or even longer to arrive, even on brand new cars straight off the delivery transport. I've been waiting since June for a headrest for my X351 which is still a production part. There was a non-servicable electrical harness in that same car that was no longer being produced so Jaguar's suggestion was to write off the car (at the time only 4 years old). For a £200 harness. (I bought a similar one from a different model and cut out the bit I needed as an overlay.)

When my XJ was rear-ended and in for repairs it took 6 months to get it back. The actual repairs took about a week - the rest was waiting for Jaguar to supply the correct welding alloy to the certified bodyshop. (In the end the bodyshop sourced some from an aeroplane manufacturer in the US at their cost.) That cost me 6 months of insurance and tax, although I did not take a loaner as I had access to other cars.

5 years ago it was never a problem, but recently it has got harder and harder to source non-stocked items in a reasonable timeframe.

Jaguar are not alone in this - I have a neighbour with a BMW who has been waiting for around 3 months now for a lower seat cover which was damaged during a service. It seems the suppliers (JLR/BMW/etc buy them in) do not have the capacity for non-line orders. I suspect that is part of the reason why the current crop of Jag models have much reduced trim options over the earlier ones.

You may get some goodwill by escalating it to Jaguar NA and complaining strongly that it is unacceptable that you are paying daily for their lack of supply capacity. Be sure to mention how it is driving away new customers (people I've spoken to who wanted a Jag have been put off when I have told them about this, and I have seen people on the forum here leave the brand for the same reason).

Last edited by xdave; 11-15-2016 at 02:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:52 AM

Granted they gave me a loaner, took a while... so I'm not complaining about being careless. But I dislike the XF immensely... I'm a car nut. I wanna drive what I wanna drive and having to pay for it is just silly. Someone could walk on the production floor and steal a seat cover for me and I'd be happy. Headliner I can get replaced here if Jag Na pays for it. Hell may end up with a nicer one for less.

Whole thing just sucks. Only had the car three months. When I got hit in my F, that took 2.5 months because of some bolt they couldn't get a hold of. A less common part I can understand but a seat cover, black, come on. Maybe they'll read this and grow on some illuminated door sills and maybe swap my rims for black gloss. Wishful thinking. ��

Old 11-29-2016, 01:28 PM

Just a little update.

Someone from their escalation team called me (twice so far) and didn't have much unfortunately to give me except that they are looking into a new vendor for the parts I need... and that she would check back every two weeks.

:-/

Old 11-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Received 335 Likes on 201 Posts

Is your car drivable without the headliner? If yes, then drive it while you are waiting.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

If the headliner has been removed then unfortunately it would not be safe to drive as the airbags would be exposed.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:14 PM

Front seat cover needs to be replaced because the window was left open and some rain got on the seat... that was the insurance companies fault and I wasn't going to risk having mold grow in my car so I convinced them to give me a new seat (which will be nice if and when I ever get my car back).

Got a call this morning from the nice woman that works for escalations... unfortunately, same rhetoric. I pretty much just wrote my car off and figured one day someone would call and be like 'oh, by the way, your Jag, you know, the white one you love, its done'. By that point, my lease will have expired anyways. LOL