XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Car Battery Charger, 12V 6A Smart Battery Trickle Charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 04:53 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Car Battery Charger, 12V 6A Smart Battery Trickle Charger

I keep getting a low battery warning no plans to drive the car anytime soon looking to get a battery charger anyone have experience with this NEXPEAK charger? on Amazon

Car Battery Charger, 12V 6A Smart Battery Trickle Charger Automotive 12V Battery Maintainer Desulfator with Temperature Compensation for Car Truck Motorcycle Lawn Mower Marine Lead Acid Batteries

Brand NEXPEAK Colour 6A Item weight 449 Grams Output voltage 12 Volts Input voltage 110 Volts (AC) Current rating 6 Amps

About this item

• 【QUICK BATTERY CHARGER】12 volt 6-Amp quick car battery charger, can charge or repair all 12-volt and 24-volt lead-acid automotive, marine and deep-cycle batteries including AGM, GEL, SLA, Flooded in cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, lawn mowers, boats, etc. Perfect gift for Christmas and New Year!
  • 【WINTER HOLIDAY BATTERY HOUSEKEEPER】Smart control, temp compensation in hot or cold climates, reverse protection, cooling system, overcurrent, fireproof material, overcharge, short circuit. Battery trickle charger with multiple protections ensures the safety of charging perfectly for maintaining batteries for months over the winter or holidays. Avoid battery failure in advance. No worries!
  • 【HIGH-EFFICIENCY PULSE REPAIR】battery charger automotive detects battery sulfation and acid stratification, take newest pulse repair function to restore lost battery performance for stronger engine starts and extended battery life. NOTE: can not activate or charging totally dead batteries.
  • 【VISUALIZED CHARGING】 Large LCD display the charging and battery status; charge voltage, charge current, inside temperature, charge percentage, summer mode, winter mode, etc. More convenient to use.
  • 【PLUG AND PLAY】 no complicated steps, just plug and charge, stay at home and charge your batteries on your own. All-in-one battery solution as car battery charger, battery maintainer, trickle charger, plus battery desulfator. The must-have tool for your garage.
  • 【FLOAT/TRICKLE CHARGE】 Switch to float/trickle charge mode to maintain batteries over the winter: 1, Choosing corresponding modes(STD/AGM,GEL/WET/MOTORCYCLE) to fully charge the battery, screen display "FUL" 2, Then switch to "MOTORCYCLE" mode will auto-enter trickle charging mode to keep batteries stay charged for a long time.

Old 12-07-2023, 01:06 AM
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Recommend a CTEK battery maintainer. It is well recommended on this forum and comes with handy connectors to install a permanent pigtail for quick connect/disconnect.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-09-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Freddy J
Recommend a CTEK battery maintainer. It is well recommended on this forum and comes with handy connectors to install a permanent pigtail for quick connect/disconnect.
I see there is two batteries one big and one small I connected the CTEK to the big one and they both get charged? What is the small battery for?

Old 12-07-2023, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

Originally Posted by JaguarXJL15
I see there is two batteries one big and one small I connected the CTEK to the big one and they both get charged? What is the small battery for?
The small battery is for the stop/start system.

Old 12-07-2023, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,351 Likes on 3,480 Posts

I've had a CTEK MUS4.3 on my 2013 XJ for many years with no problems, and have separate pigtails for the primary battery and the small stop-start battery as shown in the photo below. The CTEK is connected to the primary battery and the orange/black connector for the stop-start battery is seen towards the back of the trunk. I occasionally connect the CTEK to the stop-start battery to keep it topped up. When I do so, I change the CTEK from the car icon setting to the motorcycle icon.

I routed the CTEK power cable over the right rear fender, in between two pieces of plastic trim as shown below. The trunk lid closes over the power cable with no problems.

The CTEK sits on my garage floor. It's plugged into a 120v wall socket. I've used it almost every day for the last 8 years.

If you plan to install a CTEK (or any other brand of battery maintainer) on your XJ, note that the negative (black) pigtail MUST be connected to a chassis ground. That's because the Battery Monitoring System Module is connected directly to the battery negative terminal, and it will be damaged if a battery charger is connected to that negative battery terminal.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart S:
NavyBlue (12-08-2023), ralphwg (12-09-2023), roviw (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 12:32 AM
Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

JaguarXJL15, for your information now that you know about the small battery, if you wish to permanently disable the stop/start feature, simply disconnect the small battery negative to chassis ground cable.

OzXFR (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 2,385 Posts

JaguarXJL15, for your information now that you know about the small battery, if you wish to permanently disable the stop/start feature, simply disconnect the small battery negative to chassis ground cable.
Yep, that works, did it myself on my F-Type the very first day I got it home.
Then a few years later I completely removed the small battery.
Both things had zero effect on anything other than to permanently disable the stop/start system.
Also the original main battery is still going strong at over nine years old. Mainly due to regularly hooking it up to a battery tender/maintainer but maybe getting rid of the stop/start battery has helped.

NavyBlue (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Hey OzXFR I got ten years from my factory battery so your close!
I need to disable my start/stop again too because the main battery replacement made it start working again.

OzXFR (12-08-2023)
Old 12-08-2023, 12:31 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow. Y'all gettin' 9 - 10 yrs on the orig battery!
I've always thought that 4 - 5 yrs was pretty good for a battery.
I've only trickle charge on my factory 5 yr old battery maybe once a year, using CTEK. Would that be enough, or try to use it more often?
BTW, just in case, what's the correct part #, or size, for replacement main battery?
Any recommendations on where to buy & brands...?
Thanks,

Old 12-08-2023, 04:56 PM

good to know I thought there was no way around the annoying start/stop I think its more of a gimmick not fuel saving

Old 12-08-2023, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I've had a CTEK MUS4.3 on my 2013 XJ for many years with no problems, and have separate pigtails for the primary battery and the small stop-start battery as shown in the photo below. The CTEK is connected to the primary battery and the orange/black connector for the stop-start battery is seen towards the back of the trunk. I occasionally connect the CTEK to the stop-start battery to keep it topped up. When I do so, I change the CTEK from the car icon setting to the motorcycle icon.

I routed the CTEK power cable over the right rear fender, in between two pieces of plastic trim as shown below. The trunk lid closes over the power cable with no problems.

The CTEK sits on my garage floor. It's plugged into a 120v wall socket. I've used it almost every day for the last 8 years.

If you plan to install a CTEK (or any other brand of battery maintainer) on your XJ, note that the negative (black) pigtail MUST be connected to a chassis ground. That's because the Battery Monitoring System Module is connected directly to the battery negative terminal, and it will be damaged if a battery charger is connected to that negative battery terminal.

I connected the negative black to the negative black on the battery yesterday for a few hours I hope I did not do damage can you show a picture of where you have your negative connected to? anywhere on the bottom or side of the truck?

Old 12-08-2023, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

I connected the negative black to the negative black on the battery yesterday for a few hours I hope I did not do damage can you show a picture of where you have your negative connected to? anywhere on the bottom or side of the trunk?
Follow the primary battery negative cable (black, round, and thick) to the gray nut where it is grounded on the fender. Loosen that nut and attach the CTEK negative pigtail to that bolt, and tighten the nut as shown below.

Note that if you attach your CTEK to the stop-start battery you can attach the negative pigtail directly to the negative battery terminal because it doesn't have a Battery Monitoring System Module.

NavyBlue (12-12-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 03:15 PM

this ctek charger is useless I've had it charging the battery for days and I still get a low battery warning the battery is not original its already been changed so I doubt its the battery thats the problem

CTEK (56-158) Multi US 3300 12 Volt Fully Automatic 4 Step Battery Charger, White

Old 12-31-2023, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

this ctek charger is useless I've had it charging the battery for days and I still get a low battery warning the battery is not original its already been changed so I doubt its the battery thats the problem. ...
I have more confidence in your CTEK 3300 than your XJ's battery. Just because you have a new battery is no guarantee that it can hold a charge or that your alternator is properly charging it. You're in Canada, where cold weather is a battery killer.

Use a voltmeter in the morning before you start your car to measure the battery's voltage. It should have at least 12.6 volts. If it's less, it should be replaced. You should also have your alternator checked. If all your driving is short, without any daily highway driving for at least 15 minutes, then your battery isn't getting fully charged.

Your Public Profile shows that you're in Canada and nothing else.

This site is very helpful, but you need to help us help you. Please complete your Public Profile and create a signature that shows your location and details of your car. Read this:

* New members - a MUST read if you have just signed up *

Old 01-02-2024, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I have more confidence in your CTEK 3300 than your XJ's battery. Just because you have a new battery is no guarantee that it can hold a charge or that your alternator is properly charging it. You're in Canada, where cold weather is a battery killer.

Use a voltmeter in the morning before you start your car to measure the battery's voltage. It should have at least 12.6 volts. If it's less, it should be replaced. You should also have your alternator checked. If all your driving is short, without any daily highway driving for at least 15 minutes, then your battery isn't getting fully charged.

Your Public Profile shows that you're in Canada and nothing else.

This site is very helpful, but you need to help us help you. Please complete your Public Profile and create a signature that shows your location and details of your car. Read this:

* New members - a MUST read if you have just signed up *

The battery is not new I just know it is not the original when It was changed I do not know I recently bought the car from a dealership and it was sitting in the parking lot for a month I have not driven it much either no highway driving yet I'm waiting to get all the overdue maintenance complete

I hooked up a voltmeter today the battery was connected to ctek all night the charge was 12.5/12.6 when I unlocked the doors it went to 12.1 and stayed there I guess the battery is dead and not able to charge time for a new battery or the ctek is defective and not able to charge with the Ctek connected to the battery the voltmeter measurers 13.7

Recommended battery 49AGM 900 CCA 160 RC 95 AH?

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 01-02-2024 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

That's the correct AGM battery. This is from Costco, and costs $169.99 in the USA. Most car batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls, so shop your local auto parts stores in Canada and you may find a better deal on the same battery with a different brand name.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

I went with the Walmart version as it has a 4 year warranty and is $179. Only $10 more.

H8 Battery

Since the factory battery lasted 10+ years I will be surprised if this after market one lasts anywhere close to that. That was a record for me and batteries!

Old 01-03-2024, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 699 Posts

I too went with that Walmart battery. Also made by Johnson Controls.

I liked the 4 year warranty (and added a 5th year by buying on my Amex).

The one I replaced made it 7 years. It was NAPA branded and made by Deka (East Penn).

Old 01-04-2024, 11:25 AM

The battery that is currently installed Bosch S5533B I don't think its an AGM battery

Battery Type Conventional BCI Group Size 49 Cold Cranking Amperage 1000 Cranking Amperage 1250 Reserve Capacity 210 min Voltage 12 VDC

Old 01-07-2024, 09:38 AM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

The Canadian Costco H8 AGM work fine. I replaced mine in my 2011 XJL Supersport last year.