XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Car dont go to sleep, Battery drain, Microswitch door handle

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello friends,

since we're already on the topic of SDD.

I spoke with a workshop that specializes in Jaguar. Since I want to have not only diagnostics done but also programming for the speedometer and navigation to cover Europe, I asked about the complete package right away.

He turned me down and said that a special diagnostic and coding program is required for vehicles from 2016 onwards.

Is that true? Do only authorized dealerships have that too? I would like to get something like that myself, depending on the cost.
How can I easiest and most affordably get my hands on something like that?

Thank you for all your help so far! I'm very grateful.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,426 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Well the moderators want to keep all the SDD stuff together in their own threads but it's such a big subject that's hard to do!
Yes to your question about getting a setup for yourself. Please be aware SDD is not good software BUT it's all we have and I have found nothing better yet! So you will have a learning curve and there are many decisions to be made when attempting this.

Please spend a lot of time reading prior threads! It will save head aches and point out where people had problems. The software is basically free because it was never intended to be used by anyone except JLR repair tech's. Those guys can call and get help on SDD problems from Jaguar - we can't!

Here is a quick search results and it returned 330 threads! So it's a massive subject and be very careful with what you read. Many claim to have the ONLY way SDD will work. Not true and the different variations are too many to list and I would forget some too. If you have further questions (And you will!) please ask on one of those threads.
SDD Search Results

Now a lot of it depends on your level of software/IT knowledge about things like which OS to use and/or virtual machines. Connect to the internet or never connect.
I went with a cheap used laptop that is 100% dedicated to JUST SDD. I have had to wipe and reinstall SDD more than once so just be prepared for that possibility.

Yes what happened is Jaguar replaced SDD (Software Driven Diagnostics) with Pathfinder sometime around the MY 2017. This is not a good setup for a DIY guy!! What they have done now is Pathfinder will NOT work without a continuous internet connect to Jaguar's servers. I have Pathfinder installed but without buying access I have no way to use it? Just to let you know Jaguar charges by the minute when your connected.

You have a 2016 XJ and I have 2014 XJ. SDD works fine on my 2014 and I "bet" that it will work fine on your 2016?

If you want to make sure send me your VIN in a PM and I will see if my SDD (Currently I am at V161.00 v.327) recognizes your car. I am connected to the internet and download all the calibration and as-built files. But when connected to a car I am never connected to the internet. Some claim this is impossible but mine has been working for around 6-7 years now.

What you want to do is possible but again you have now gone up to another level of difficulty. Look for editing CCF's (Car Configuration Files). This is truly the keys to the kingdom as this is the cars "Birth Certificate" from Jaguar. So you can very easily screw things up! Be SURE to keep a copy of the cars original CCF in one or more places BEFORE you attempt to make changes.

Old 04-24-2024, 12:26 PM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
.... The software is basically free because it was never intended to be used by anyone except JLR repair tech's. Those guys can call and get help on SDD problems from Jaguar - we can't!...

... SDD (Software Driven Diagnostics) with Pathfinder sometime around the MY 2017. This is not a good setup for a DIY guy!! What they have done now is Pathfinder will NOT work without a continuous internet connect to Jaguar's servers. I have Pathfinder installed but without buying access I have no way to use it? Just to let you know Jaguar charges by the minute when your connected.
JLR has offered SDD by subscription for years - as long as I've needed it anyway. Maybe it's been a year or more since I've needed it, but I know it's been there & available to Customers and independent mechanics alike. I haven't seen anywhere that it's free, but I have seen black market bootlegged versions of it offered in various places.

I don't recall seeing Pathfinder, but probably because I've never needed it - ours is a 2012. You say the subscriptions for Pathfinder from JLT ToPix are by the hour?

And I believe SDD is short for Symptom Driven Diagnostics, not Software Driven Diagnostics.

Last edited by 12jagmark; 04-24-2024 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks 12jagmark you are right!
Sorry I got SDD wrong. Yes you can use SDD with a subscription but with the amount of time I have used SDD it would be a big bill!

There are SDD setups with the interface cable available with a 1 year guarantee but I have not used them and can't say how they work or don't work.

Yes Pathfinder is another whole ballgame and I know very little about it right now. It was a battle to install much like SDD.

Old 05-19-2024, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello my friends,

A lot of time has passed during which I took a break from the whole Jaguar XJ topic.

Now it's time to get back to it! I followed your advice, installed JLR SDD V164, and bought a Mongoose clone. Today, I worked with the JLR SDD on the vehicle for the first time and was able to read the error codes. See my screenshots.

Primarily, this concerns the problems in the ABS/ESP area. I have already found that various control units, such as the ABS and dynamic control unit, are not accessible at all. I wonder why exactly three control units are not accessible. Does anyone have any ideas? I will check the power supply, but I can hardly believe that there is no power to all the control units. We'll see.

I also performed a vehicle reset, unfortunately with no differences regarding the non-sleeping control units or the ABS/ESP error issues.

Furthermore, I wanted to delve into the vehicle configuration, specifically to change the region and units of the vehicle to the European market. Unfortunately, JLR SDD doesn't let me go that far, as it claims I am not using the latest version and I am not online. Is this not possible with my installed version? The program does not allow me to download files from the vehicle due to the version. See screenshots.

Nevertheless, I have made progress as I can now read more specific error codes and act accordingly.

But this is not the end!

Old 05-20-2024, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member

Yes the red X's are a problem. Not sure how to make them communicate either? You could try to disconnect the ABS module then attempt to reprogram as new. System will show no connection but proceed anyway. Then re-connect your old module just before you hit the button to program the module? Just a thought?
See the attached to get more detailed instructions.

I think your right that no progress can be made until the red X's are gone.

I can't answer your SDD questions as mine does download all calibration files and I don't need to be connected to the internet either. So I think we are seeing the differences in how SDD can be installed and used?

Thanks for reporting back on the vehicle reset as I just heard about this and have not used it yet. Not really sure what to expect either?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SDD Best Practice.pdf (87.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:32 AM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

First of all, check the fuses. (i think you have done so alrady?)
Three units without connection can be possible just with one connector if the units are communicating each other with CAN bus network. The CAN bus is "daisy chain" point to point type, where bus jumps from one device to another. (not like exsample "star type" ethernet) So if one device have poor connection to the CAN bus, all other devices after that loses the connection too.
The service and repair manual states pretty much all CAN connection issues following prosedure:
"Refer to the electrical circuit diagrams and check the CAN bus for short circuit to ground, short circuit to power, open
circuit, high resistance, or short circuit between the paired CAN wires. Complete a CAN network integrity test using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system"

Clubairht: I have always wondered why SDD ask me if i want to start new session or continue older one. After reading SDD Best Practise document it makes sense and propably good idea is to use always same session for same car, not so that every time start a new session? Sessions can be saved and reopened: This make sense norw too -> Sessions can be saved by reg nr and if and when worked with that vehicle again, opened once more.

Old 05-21-2024, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Yes sessions always confused me too and I have usually started a new one. I thought that the sessions allowed the factory guys to send the files back to Jaguar for further analysis? What can us DIY guys use them for? I don't know?

So if the car was not fixed the first time you would re-open the session and add to it and then send that file to Jaguar?
What I have read is the whole idea of SDD was to get the car repaired correctly the first time it was in the shop. No come backs!
If the car did come back Jaguar wanted to know about it and then try to prevent that from happening again and again.

Old 05-27-2024, 10:55 AM
Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
So if the car was not fixed the first time you would re-open the session and add to it and then send that file to Jaguar?
What I have read is the whole idea of SDD was to get the car repaired correctly the first time it was in the shop. No come backs!
If the car did come back Jaguar wanted to know about it and then try to prevent that from happening again and again.
Maybe the process is meant to work like this: Issue is diagnosed and fault is found by SDD. Session will be saved and everything is shut down and power is cut off from vehicle for repairs. (change of sensor or actuator etc will require removing battery terminal by manual)
Then vehicle is powered again and SDD connected with existing session, with info of fault and now new actuator / sensor etc is regonised and accepted for cure of fault, instead of starting new session what does not found any chances, because it will read everything as new? (of cource everything will work because failed component have been changed)
Now i have rare situtation to wait something to fail for just testing this

Old 05-28-2024, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

I will be watching to see when you post back. Seems reasonable that it would work that way too?