XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

CarPlay update

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 06:12 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default CarPlay update

I just received a letter from JLR advising me that my 2016 is eligible for the free installation of a software update that upgrades to the latest ICE software, enables CarPlay, and will allow future automated over the air updates. Has anyone done this already? Does the CarPlay update work well?

Thanks,

cjp

Old 11-03-2019, 12:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received this too, 2017 XJ SC. I am somewhat leery of it. My car has ICTP but with the 8" display. All the images in the letter show the 10" display. Of course the s/w can scale to whatever size display, but I wonder if this update really is compatible with the early ICTP versions.

I would like to do it, but I'd rather hear about someone else with an 8" display doing it successfully first!

Old 11-03-2019, 05:54 AM
cjp

I took my brave pill and scheduled the update, but it's going to be three weeks out. I've had a couple issues getting the current HERE connectivity software working right/at all as the PO removed the original SIM card from the vehicle and it had to be replaced, so from my perspective the potential pros probably outweigh the cons... I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:20 PM

Brave man!

What model and year do you have, and what size display?

Old 11-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the same letter over the weekend, I'm with Keitheva about waiting to see what others get as an end result. Please let us know how things go for you CJP.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:13 AM

I had an update done to my 2016’s system last week (not this H251 update). I now have limited voice control over the NAV system. Like “navigate to home” “navigate to previous destination” and “cancel route guidance.” I could previously do none of these things. So I am hopeful for this newest update.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mchamber
I had an update done to my 2016’s system last week (not this H251 update). I now have limited voice control over the NAV system. Like “navigate to home” “navigate to previous destination” and “cancel route guidance.” I could previously do none of these things. So I am hopeful for this newest update.
Good to know. This was one of the items I'm hoping to see in the H251 update. It has always seemed odd that the "PRO" version of the system could do voice control over the sat-nav system.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:25 PM
cjp

Originally Posted by keitheva
Brave man!

What model and year do you have, and what size display?

"2016 XJL 3.0 Portfolio Ultimate Black/London Tan" and the 8" display...

Old 11-07-2019, 06:27 PM
cjp

Originally Posted by Thorin
I got the same letter over the weekend, I'm with Keitheva about waiting to see what others get as an end result. Please let us know how things go for you CJP.
Will do - still a couple weeks out.

cjp

Old 11-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Well... the following scenario should be of interest. My 2016 XJL went in for an infotainment update over two months ago. The dealership was unable to get it beyond V2.0 and contacted Jaguar's WEBEX who attempted to accomplish the upgrade remotely. They too failed and authorized the replacement of the entire IMC unit. The unit part appears to sell for $2800 (+/-). I am having the warranty replacement performed at another dealer closer to our other home. When the service advisor wrote the work order he informed me that "your car will be receiving CarPlay at no charge..." I commented, "even though I have an 8" screen?" He answered, yup! I had him check to see if my 2017 F Type R was entitled to the same "courtesy" update? He answered, nope! I will be picking up the car on Monday and will report to the forum the results. I sure hope that I have not jinxed this, by way of this thread!

Old 11-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Thanks for reporting back!
Very interesting that certain 8" screens can be up dated to intouch control pro.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So.... Did it work?

Old 11-15-2019, 06:34 PM

I had the update done. Unknowingly twice. I did get the limited NAV voice functionality, but the second dealership confirmed by calling Jaguar (whatever that means), that the letter is incorrect as least as it pertains to my 2016 with the 8 inch touch pro. On mine the interface doesn’t change to the new interface and no CarPlay or android auto.

The only reason I wanted either was because of the cumbersome NAV interface. If a future update improves NAV voice command functionality I’d be happy.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Well... the following scenario should be of interest. My 2016 XJL went in for an infotainment update over two months ago. The dealership was unable to get it beyond V2.0 and contacted Jaguar's WEBEX who attempted to accomplish the upgrade remotely. They too failed and authorized the replacement of the entire IMC unit. The unit part appears to sell for $2800 (+/-). I am having the warranty replacement performed at another dealer closer to our other home. When the service advisor wrote the work order he informed me that "your car will be receiving CarPlay at no charge..." I commented, "even though I have an 8" screen?" He answered, yup! I had him check to see if my 2017 F Type R was entitled to the same "courtesy" update? He answered, nope! I will be picking up the car on Monday and will report to the forum the results. I sure hope that I have not jinxed this, by way of this thread!
I received a call today from the dealer telling me, "your car is finished and you can pick her up..." So, I set out to the dealership in my courtesy loaner that I now have had for one week. The service adviser said we are washing the car and it will just be a few more minutes. I got in the car, immediately attached the USB to my iPhone 10 annnnd NOTHING! No In Control, no Apple Car Play and no music.

Mind you, they installed a new IMC unit and performed the latest updates. They also performed the H251 Touch Pro Campaign. The service adviser asked "what would you like us to do?" I said, please give me back the keys to the courtesy loaner and please fix my car. This is the second time that the car has been in the dealership for this same problem that cannot yet be resolved. He also stated that the Apple Car Play will not work on my 2016. This conflicts with the work order that clearly states that I have a Touch Pro? Remind me, how many times for the same problem before the lemon law kicks-in!?

Old 11-16-2019, 07:52 PM

I told my son about the infotainment saga, he sent me this thread and asked "Is this what you're talking about..."

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/my-ca...ing-alan-cross

Old 11-25-2019, 06:34 PM
cjp

This update does not seem to be going smoothly on my car either. If you are planning to do this, my advice would be to wait for the next software iteration.