XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Challenged at the stoplight tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Challenged at the stoplight tonight...

wife and i were on the way to get something to eat and pulled up to a stoplight. next to us was a older model mustang gt revving wanting to race. i let him get a half car length start and i didnt even put mine in sport mode and performance mode. light turned green and i launched ahead and left him at the light spinning his tires. wife said i heard him back there and we laughed...i reached 95mph and backed off and i saw him coming up. i switched to sport and performance mode hoping he wanted to go again but he just flew by...i let him go on by LOL

Last edited by MDJag; 02-02-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Cool , it is good to beat him but please be very warry I would not like to hear any nasty incident that our members involve into

Old 02-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MDJag
wife and i were on the way to get something to eat and pulled up to a stoplight. next to us was a older model mustang gt revving wanting to race. i let him get a half car length start and i didnt even put mine in sport mode and performance mode. light turned green and i launched ahead and left him at the light spinning his tires. wife said i heard him back there and we laughed...i reached 95mph and backed off and i saw him coming up. i switched to sport and performance mode hoping he wanted to go again but he just flew by...i let him go on by LOL
I love it! This car is a real sleeper.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I LOVE IT!! Can't wait to smoke one myself.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  19.3 KB

GO MD

Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Awesome. I had sorta the same experience last Friday. I went to a going away party and another friend of mine was there. So afterwards we decided to go back to my house to hang out and I said I hope you can keep up. And he was like please and we walked to his ride and it was a new Audi S5. He use to have a Escalade so I was surprised. So we got on the highway and I gunned it and I was at 150 in a matter of seconds. He was about 10 car lengths behind me so I slow down thinking to myself ok maybe he wasn't ready. So I let him catch up and gunned it again and he was no where in my rear view. He finally caught up again and we took it to the house. I got out laughing saying what happened and he was like hey your Jag ain't no joke. The S5's speedo show 200mph and ours shows 170mph. Go figure. Oh by the way because I am in Germany my car is not electronically limited to 155. Holla!!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  19.3 KB

Those S5's can really move too Expat.....some going

Old 02-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Man, darn, do I miss the Autobahn. I moved away from Germany 20 years ago and the only time I see anything over 130 on my speedo is when I go back to visit. Except its never in my own car obviously but always in whatever rental.

I'd just wished I could push my Jag around the Autobahn a few times.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by gears
Man, darn, do I miss the Autobahn. I moved away from Germany 20 years ago and the only time I see anything over 130 on my speedo is when I go back to visit. Except its never in my own car obviously but always in whatever rental.

I'd just wished I could push my Jag around the Autobahn a few times.

Well the next time you come back go to a dealership and get them to let you test drive one. It's almost the same thing. Just don't be too disappointed. The congestion is getting out of control. They are actually talking about trying to make more lanes but I honestly think they need to make more Autobahn. Just not enough of it for all the cars on the road now.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Awesome. I had sorta the same experience last Friday. I went to a going away party and another friend of mine was there. So afterwards we decided to go back to my house to hang out and I said I hope you can keep up. And he was like please and we walked to his ride and it was a new Audi S5. He use to have a Escalade so I was surprised. So we got on the highway and I gunned it and I was at 150 in a matter of seconds. He was about 10 car lengths behind me so I slow down thinking to myself ok maybe he wasn't ready. So I let him catch up and gunned it again and he was no where in my rear view. He finally caught up again and we took it to the house. I got out laughing saying what happened and he was like hey your Jag ain't no joke. The S5's speedo show 200mph and ours shows 170mph. Go figure. Oh by the way because I am in Germany my car is not electronically limited to 155. Holla!!
I won't get into the details of how I know this, but both me in my XJ supercharged and a friend of mine who owns an XFR can tell you the 155mph speed limiter doesn't work very well. And we are ok with that!

Old 02-06-2011, 12:22 AM

Oh I know ExpatJag. Test drive is a good idea. I come back about twice a year. Usually to Munich. And I still now the Autobahn from Munich to Garmisch well enough to remember most bends and turns. Also A8 Salzburg. But the only time I get to really top speed out is late nights. My favorite time. With congestion and all the elctronically controlled speed limits, the fun is slowly dissapearing.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 AM

As a matter of fact I was surprised to see my US spec car go up into the 170's. I wondering where the speed limiter would cut in. Mercedes on my old CLS 500 stated at "limited to 130mph" but it never kicked in and went far above. On my CLS63 it stated 155 and I got video showing me doing 194 mph with the CLS63. And, no, I did not re-map or tune those in any way.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:27 AM

Oh, by the way, all that "speeding" was done in a "controlled environment", not on open public roads.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:23 AM

Oh, by the way, all that "speeding" was done in a "controlled environment", not on open public roads.
I love the disclaimer. Well all my speeding is on open roads.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 PM

Nurburgring?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 AM

Hahaha, you guys are cracking my up. I wish it would have been Nürburgring. ExpatJag got me figured out just fine and I think he picked up on the fine nuance of the language I used.

As a matter of fact I stated "open public roads" but, that doesn't mean it wasn't a public roads. In other words, I had some of my cop friends create a more "controlled environment" with a more "closed" road.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:03 PM

Hahaha, you guys are cracking my up. I wish it would have been Nürburgring. ExpatJag got me figured out just fine and I think he picked up on the fine nuance of the language I used.

As a matter of fact I stated "open public roads" but, that doesn't mean it wasn't a public roads. In other words, I had some of my cop friends create a more "controlled environment" with a more "closed" road.
It's good to have friends with influence like that! I did a lap at the Nurburgring (sorry, no umlauts on my keyboard) the last time I went to Europe to motorcycle through the Alps in 2008. The tour started in Frankfurt and I went a day early so I could do a side trip to the Nurburgring. I can see why Jackie Stewart called it "the green hell".

Old 02-15-2011, 02:52 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cadillac
Cool , it is good to beat him but please be very warry I would not like to hear any nasty incident that our members involve into
word.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i did the same thing many years ago with my friends 1965 ford fairlane and got tagged for exibition of speed. ticket cost me $ 1,000

Old 03-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uhh I've done this a few times now. I love the fact that my car does not have the extra badges to tell every kid at the light next to me that I have 510 horses. It's just more fun that way

Quick Reply: Challenged at the stoplight tonight...