XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Check Pedestrian Protection System

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Pedestrian Protection System

Hi all. I have a Check Pedestrian Protection System error on my 2010 XJL.

I have pulled off both sensors and cleaned contacts. Interestingly, that delayed the error appearing on each startup for a few seconds, where previously it came on straight after ignition. Now, it’s back to coming on again immediately after some more tinkering.

A local indy said it needs a new OS sensor after plugging it into diagnostics. I have put a “new” one on that I bought from eBay for £35. Seems a genuine part with the same codes. It hasn’t fixed the issue.

Any other suggestions of what to check?

Old 02-25-2023, 12:13 PM
Received 611 Likes on 377 Posts

Don't be fooled by codes. The sensors use communication and are not 'on/off' devices, I had the same issue and it was a defect in the harness between the main harness and the bumper. The harness part on mine that was failed is unobtanium and doesn't even have a part number. Jaguar believe it comes as part of the main harness but if you have adaptive headlights you had best be sat down when you ask how much. I managed to source the connectors from AliExpress and built a new harness part. There are twisted pairs in this harness so be aware the twist needs to be maintained if you repair or re-create.

Which sensor did you replace too - the ones that are high up and easily seen are not the pedestrian protect sensors those are the crash sensors. The pedestrian sensors require the bumper to be removed.

You need to get stuck in with a high end multimeter with at least 20mohm per volt to protect what you are measuring. My crash sensors were between 40 and 50ohms.

See lower down in this thread -> B Codes

Old 04-15-2024, 02:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi,

I just started getting this message on my 2015 XJL all of a sudden. No hits or strong bumps or anything like that. What do I need to check? Both bonnet airbags look fine.

Old 04-15-2024, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by kamranki
Hi,

I just started getting this message on my 2015 XJL all of a sudden. No hits or strong bumps or anything like that. What do I need to check? Both bonnet airbags look fine.
There is a harness at the front left that links the bumper harness to the engine bay harness - mine was in poor shape, I was also getting parking sensor issues, a number of the cables were toast / corroded. There are also four sensors behind the bumper, two are high up behind the slam panel and two are low down - the low ones are a bumper off job really - bolts will likely be siezed (mine were), I replaced my sensors (not cheap) before I figured it was the harness itself.

I cannot offer much more support as I no longer have the car.

I accessed mine initially in front of the left front wheel but soon figured out it was easier from behind the headlight.

This is it on the bench - I had to remake the whole thing as most breakers couldn't (or wouldn't) find it and there seems to be no part number for it.

Old 04-15-2024, 03:29 AM

OK let me show this to the workshop where I get my car fixed and see that they find. Thanks so much! Also, would you have Part No. for the sensors / modules, by any chance?

Old 04-15-2024, 03:35 AM

I don't seem to have made notes that are readily to hand as pretty much everything went with the car - I do have a picture of the new ones - make sure you are seated when you get the price though -

The one on the left is the pedestrian protection, the one on the right is the crash sensor.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:37 AM

A quick check and I found these two parts on Aliexpress:

Acceleration Sensor 8V4T-14B006-AA
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001682150745.html

Collision Sensor 8X23-14B006-AA
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005004883053082.html

If the problem lies with sensors in my car, will these above work?

Old 04-15-2024, 05:11 AM

'IF' being the biggest word.

Correct part numbers are C2D3537 (crash) and C2Z1166 (pedestrian), to replace with genuine you won't get a lot of change from £700 without labour in the UK, in the UAE I have no idea, took me 4 hours to replace mine because two of them the bolts were siezed and I had to waste a fair bit of time getting them off. I didn't find the harness problem until I started the job but I'd already bought them - hence me advising to check the harness etc thoroughly - and make sure your mech doesn't do this with battery attached or airbag connected !! - the module that controls a lot of this is under the centre console behind the rear AC controls - you do not want to go testing circuits with airbags connected so it becomes a big challenge not to probe inappropriate circuits.

I could have found my problem before spending a rake of money had I the patience - but I didn't - learned a lot though.

I wouldn't be buying from AliExpress personally for these things but cost wise I think it is one of those risks you take.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:05 AM

OK thanks so much. Let me get the harness checked first then.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BenKenobi
There is a harness at the front left that links the bumper harness to the engine bay harness - mine was in poor shape, I was also getting parking sensor issues, a number of the cables were toast / corroded. There are also four sensors behind the bumper, two are high up behind the slam panel and two are low down - the low ones are a bumper off job really - bolts will likely be siezed (mine were), I replaced my sensors (not cheap) before I figured it was the harness itself.

I cannot offer much more support as I no longer have the car.

I accessed mine initially in front of the left front wheel but soon figured out it was easier from behind the headlight.

This is it on the bench - I had to remake the whole thing as most breakers couldn't (or wouldn't) find it and there seems to be no part number for it.

Can you share a video showing the solution? I have the same issue.... I have 2013 XJL

Old 04-17-2024, 09:08 AM

I'm afraid I can not, I have since sold the car, if you detail what you would like to see maybe some kind soul that has an X351 that is embarking on this 'fix' would do a better job of documenting it than I have.

The hardest challenge with this is the diagnosis, I could have detected the defect in the harness if I had known what to look for and how to look. The answer would have been available by probing specific terminals on the control module connector inside the car - not without risk because you don't want to stick a probe into an airbag trigger circuit. Diagnosis needs to be done with the battery disconnected too. The one doing the diagnostic would need to figure this out from the wiring diagrams for the car variation and year.

This link will take you to the connectors but be aware the cables are twisted together for a reason, they are twisted with a specific number twists per metre as they are communication cables NOT power carrying in the way a resistive load like a bulb would be.

16 Pin Connector 16 Pin Connector

This is the diagram I had, the RCM as mentioned is under the centre console behind the rear HVAC controls. Be aware that if your car has had too many impacts at the front this fault will set permanently and can only be cleared by replacing the RCM - or finding a company that knows how to flash one correctly - they're a safety item so reputable garages here that don't want to end up with legal hassle will not even discuss it - for the record I am not accepting liability either -