XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Cigar lighter socket - any ideas what I have done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cigar lighter socket - any ideas what I have done?

Help!

I attemped to splice into the positive and negative wires that are running to the front cigar lighter socket... but something has gone wrong and it has got me stuck. I currently have no power to the front cigar lighter and I cannot figure why?

When I started I removed the lead from the back of the cigar lighter and put my multimeter across it to check positive and negitive... 12v supply confirmed.

Then I spliced a wire to it (to run another 12v device) and during the process I noticed there was no power?

So back on with the multimeter - confirmed no power

Took off my splice on returned to stock... still no power

Checked fuse (F52 in my manual).... tested fine.

Checked rear cigar lighter... working fine.

Swapped rear cigar lighter fuse with front cigar lighter fuse... rear still working front still not working.

tested the front cigar lighter for power directly on the cable... but still no power.

locked up car and left for 48 hours... come back and repeated above tests and still no power?

Everything else is working fine (inc usb port in same area)

This has really confused me. This is basic electrics. A positive cable + negative cable + a single fuse. I don't understand how it is not working... or indeed what i did to break it?

Any idea's?

Old 05-23-2015, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

As the Accessory socket is fuse #F63, try checking that.

The following users liked this post:
flibberflops (05-24-2015)
Old 05-24-2015, 06:48 AM

You my friend are a genius

Thank you

... for the record F63 is a right **** to get too. Its on its own, sandwiched between two relays. Forget the fuse removal tool, you have no room to squeeze and pull. Long needle nose pliers are the only way to get it out.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Happy to hear that that was the right fuse. I have a subscription to https://www.alldatadiy.com/alldatadi...000~R0~OF1~N/0 where you can get access to the shop manual for $29.95 for 5 years. My subscription is for the "2012 Jaguar XJ (X351) V8-5.0L SC" which I think is the latest year they have but it does come in handy for diagerams and parts, but lacks on the descriptions.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigar lighter socket

Hi I see from your mail you managed to get to the wires for the lighter to splice them. I have just bought an XJ 2012 too and want to do the same to run another device (road Angel) which I want to place on the windscreen by the pillar and don't want to run wiring that is visible. How did you get access to the wiring as I can't see how I can remove the trim any help would be greatly received thanks

Old 01-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

I had a faulty phone charger and 6 months after getting my car I managed to "pop" both the fuses you mentioned, popped the front one, then plugged the charger into the rear and popped that as well !!
I was in France at the time and phoned my dealer at home as I could not work out how to get to the "hidden" fusebox behind the rear seat. On the 2011 model you had to pull the leather to one side behind the rear armrest but then had to literally cut through the padding to get to the fuses, on the 2012 onwards they had altered this I believe to make access easier.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Izzy
Hi I see from your mail you managed to get to the wires for the lighter to splice them. I have just bought an XJ 2012 too and want to do the same to run another device (road Angel) which I want to place on the windscreen by the pillar and don't want to run wiring that is visible. How did you get access to the wiring as I can't see how I can remove the trim any help would be greatly received thanks
Assuming your 2012 is the same as my 2013....

Where the cigar lighter socket is... you should that the socket is actually inserted into an oblong block of black plastic. This block unclips from the console. There are two clips top and bottom... its just a case of getting some kind of (none marking) prising tool and prising it down from the top.

Once off you should have enough slack in the wire to hard wire into the back of the cigar socket.

Next onto the floor of the drivers footwell. At the point where the leather center console touches the carpet you should be able to prise it slightly loose at the bottom (so you have a 5mm gap along the length).

Back to your "popped" cigar lighter panel... you will be able to run a wire from the lighter point, down through the console until it comes out the slight gap you made in the footwell (you may need a stiff wire guide to find your way through + paitence)

Once cable is in the foot well... you can tuck it back under the lower edge of the center console until you get to the under dash section.

From there its just a simple case of feeding wire under the dash to the pillar. If you pull away a bit of the rubber door trim you will see loads of room to feed it up onto the dash.

... or (like me) you can carry up the pillar, feed under the roof lining so it pops out by the rear veiw mirror.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flibberflops
Assuming your 2012 is the same as my 2013....

Where the cigar lighter socket is... you should that the socket is actually inserted into an oblong block of black plastic. This block unclips from the console. There are two clips top and bottom... its just a case of getting some kind of (none marking) prising tool and prising it down from the top.

Once off you should have enough slack in the wire to hard wire into the back of the cigar socket.

Next onto the floor of the drivers footwell. At the point where the leather center console touches the carpet you should be able to prise it slightly loose at the bottom (so you have a 5mm gap along the length).

Back to your "popped" cigar lighter panel... you will be able to run a wire from the lighter point, down through the console until it comes out the slight gap you made in the footwell (you may need a stiff wire guide to find your way through + paitence)

Once cable is in the foot well... you can tuck it back under the lower edge of the center console until you get to the under dash section.

From there its just a simple case of feeding wire under the dash to the pillar. If you pull away a bit of the rubber door trim you will see loads of room to feed it up onto the dash.

... or (like me) you can carry up the pillar, feed under the roof lining so it pops out by the rear veiw mirror.
Thanks flibberflobs great help did as you said now my road angle is wired up also ran cable for iPhone charger too