XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Clusters of 17MY and 19MY the same?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 08:46 AM
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Question Clusters of 17MY and 19MY the same?

Hi guys,

My country Jag Service Center is terrible. I visited there in last December to update InControl Pro. They told me to wait six months. However, they stopped all-update entirely due to lack of technology, now. InControl Pro is not working after update.

Actually, my question is not this.

My XJ 17MY 3.0D Premium Luxury's Cluster cannot use 'Hangul (Korean)' language. But 19MY can use it. At first glance, 17MY and 19MY clusters appear to be the same product.

I ordered IDS and will receive it soon. I found out that by changing folder, I can replace it with another version. The most important is that "the hardware specifications of 17MY and 19MY are the same?" If it is different, I will fail. Is there any way to find out the parts number of cluster by the online? I tried to find Jag's online catalog website, I could not find it. Most of websites sold only accessories.

Best regards,
KIM

Old 01-28-2020, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 362 Posts

What are the last 6 characters of your '17 VIN?
Since the 2016 MY (officially V90865) there have been 3 variants:
V90865 to W12367 are all on C2D56131 now. Your 2017 should be in that range?
W12368 to VIN W13359 are C2D57222.
W13360 to the end of production are C2D56111.

Those are 'orderable part numbers', and the differences could be hardware or they could be the default software that is loaded onto them. In many cases the sw bootloaders are the same between model years allowing you to flash different software onto modules like that by 'tweaking' the as-built definitions and using SDD. That process is fraught with risk though, especially with a module like the IPC. The key is normally to ensure you stay within major revisions which typically indicate hardware differences, but can normally change minor revision and release years within the same range. (Massive oversimplification - you need to examine the current software versions on the module as well.)

If you can find the VIN from a car that is configured with the software you want to run it is possible to get both as-built definitions and compare the software versions. If you can get the engineering release number from the rear of a '19 cluster then that would help greatly.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:21 PM

@xdave, Thank you for your important information and kind post.

My XJ was produced in December 2017 on my car registration card. Its last 6 characters are W07384. According to your post, it seems to use 'C2D56131'. The safest way seems to be to use the latest firmware from C2D56131. I will ask those who are active in the Jaguar forums in Korea what is the VIN of the cluster that supports 'Hangul'.

I hope to use Hangul in Cluster and CarPlay in InControl Touch Pro. someday...

Thank you very much. Have a nice day.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:02 PM

Hi guys,

I bought VCM on Aliexpress, but I bought Mongoose again because there might be a programming error and I received it last monday. I upgraded my SDD to 159.4 and connected it to X351. Then I found CCF file in the ProgramData\Sessions folder.

My dream is to use Cluster program of VIN SAJAA2291JNW16093 for my X351. (I found that this VIN can display Korean on Cluster!) I think, this work was not difficult in theory(Of course very dangerous!!, I know.). However, it was not to me.
  1. Get the latest IPC(Instrument Panel Cluster) module's firmware for the SAJAA2291JNW16093.
  2. I will know its file/version name. (?W93-12A456-AA)
  3. Rename filename in the CCF, or replace the file I've already received for my X351.
  4. Module programming!
  5. Done.
But.. I have many qusestions... sorry.
  1. How can I download SAJAA2291JNW16093's IPC module firmware?
  2. How can I re-programming IPC module in my car?
Please help me,
Best regards,
KIM

Old 02-21-2020, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Kim,

There are other ways to do this, but this is the method I use as it does not involve renaming any firmware files which carries the risk you will forget to change the names back before using with another car. Please note this process is fraught with risk as there is no guarantee the software is compatible. If you get it wrong, you could brick the part and need to fit a new one.

The process is:

Always attached a suitable external power supply to the car before attempting any software programming. A simple battery conditioner in supply mode may not be able to provide enough current. You need to maintain 12.6V minimum at all times.

1) Start an SDD session with the donor vehicle VIN.
2) Use the as-built data for donor vehicle to get the fitted hardware WERS number.
3) Close the session.
4) Start an SDD session with the target vehicle (auto read VIN)
5) Modify the as-built data for the target vehicle and change the fitted hardware WERS number to that obtained above.
6) Start the configure the existing module candidate. SDD will detect the software versions are different and download the latest versions from the JLR servers.
7) You will see a screen that shows the current and new software versions. If happy with the changes save them to the vehicle.

I will expand on this a bit (by referencing the numbers above) here:

1) Start the session as normal with ther interface/dongle attached to the target car. At the VIN entry screen enter SAJAA2291JNW16093 directly rather than auto reading, but remain on the next screen where it asks you what type of session you want to start. At this point it will have already downloaded the as-built data you need.

2) The as-built data file is stored in:
C:\Program Files\Jlr\Common\Xml\IVSAsbuilt
Open the file named SAJAA2291JNW16093_MODULE_RECORDSET.xml
Search for IPC (instrument panel cluster) and make a note of the fitted part number. That is the hardware number of the part fitted at the factory (on the label on the back).

5) The file is in the same place as above, but with your VIN.
!! ALWAYS take a backup copy before changing any files !!
Replace the IPC part number in your file with the one from the other file and save it, then set the read-only flag on it to prevent it being replaced by SDD.

6 and 7) In your diagnostics session select any instrument cluster symptom and the Recommendations page should show the "Configure existing module - instrument panel cluster" candidate. If not, it will be on the Extras page which appears once you have looked at the Recommendations.

That candidate has four "stages":
i) Query all modules in the vehicle to get their current software versions. During this stage you will be prompted to click the green tick to continue scanning - I always use that 'pause' to check that the data file from 5) above has not been overwritten. If it has, change it again now.
ii) Query the JLR servers with the current software version for the IPC and the hardware part number from the as-built data file you tweaked above. It will automatically prompt you to download any new firmware files.
iii) You will be shown the current flashed software and the latest software for the part (using the replaced part number). You can proceed with the update, or cancel without making any changes.
iv) The software is flashed. There is no going back once this process has started, and note that in some cases it can take over an hour. Do not let the vehicle voltage drop below 12.6V during this time.

That is essentially it.

I do want to emphasis again that this process carries a high risk of hardware failure. Whenever I do this I always test it out on a used part first before flashing factory-unsupported software onto the original modules.

I also want to add that I have not flashed an IPC other than the factory-supported software so I am unsure of the specific risk for that module. As you are only looking to add language support and not change core functionality you may only need to flash one of the likely multiple software versions with that module. Typically you'll have 4 for most modules - the bootloader, the core/strategy software, the hardware interfacing software (signals, etc), and the calibration software. SDD will not let you pick and choose which to flash, but by renaming the firmware files (VBFs) you can achieve partial flashes. (That is not covered here.)

If this was may car I would run through the configure existing module process first with my VIN and an unmodified as-built data file in order to see the current software versions (and make sure it was fully up-to-date).
I would then run it with the modified file as far as iii) above and compare.

If any of the major revision numbers for any of the software components were different I would not proceed. For example, if the target car had -AB strategy software but the donor had -BB strategy software that suggests hardware differences and not just software differences so the likelihood of module failure is higher. If the major version were both the same (for example -AB and AD or even -AB and AA) then the risk is reduced.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:46 AM

My Cluster without Hangul Fonts

@xdave Thank you for all your assistance.

I bought a spare battery today and I proceeded as your description. I got a MODULE_RECORDSET with two cars VINs. But the WERS information I got was completely different. As you described, the 'major revision numbers' are very big-different. My car is -AG and my friend's car is -JC. I'm scared. In this case, what is the probability of the IPC becoming a brick?

- My Car : GW93-10849-AG (Does not support Hangul)
- My Friend's Car : JW93-10849-JC (Support Hangul)

InControl TouchPro supports Korean, but I can't understand why ... doesn't support Cluster... I'm so sad...

Look out for your health!
KIM

Old 02-26-2020, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Kim,
I have sent you a PM with some steps to gather some more information.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Those newer style instrument screens are really nice. I wish there was some way to retrofit that onto prior model years.