XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Continental DWS 06

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:22 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Continental DWS 06

I see Continental has a DWS 06 tire that is a newer version of their DWS tire.
Has anyone installed these and if so how do they compare with the original DWS tire?

Old 11-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 481 Likes on 368 Posts

I have the new DWS 06 tires on the front wheels, while retaining the original DWS on the rear. I really haven't noticed a difference from when I had the original DWS all around.

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (11-14-2015)
Old 01-07-2016, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

I recently ordered a set of 4 Continental DWS 06 tires (20" staggered) and will update this thread after they're installed. Can you believe the UTQG treadwear rating of 560? Continental*ExtremeContact DWS 06

Treadlife Warranty: 6 Years / 50,000 miles. Half mileage for rear if different size than front

I'll be overjoyed if I get 25,000 miles out of the rear tires.

retriever-007 (01-11-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I replaced the original Dunslops with Nitto Motivos @ 18K mi. They have transformed the ride in our 2012 XJL SC. They are very quiet and as a consequence we can now hear some wind noise that seems to be emanating from around the sunroof or passenger window frame. There is some trade off in the handling department as the sidewalls are not as stiff as the oem spec tires. That is to be expected when going from summer high performance to performance all season.

I have listed a test from road & track below for those that might have further interest.

Nitto Motivo All-Season Performance Tire Review

Old 01-09-2016, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
I recently ordered a set of 4 Continental DWS 06 tires (20" staggered) and will update this thread after they're installed. ...
Update #1 Installed today. Bought from and installed by my local Discount Tire store, who matched Tire Rack's prices. I noted that Discount Tire's computer system showed wheel torque to be 100 lb.ft., which is incorrect. Per the Owner's Handbook, wheels should be torqued to 92 lb.ft. I showed my salesman the Handbook and he told the installer.

The 2-piece OEM lug nuts can be damaged by an impact wrench, so I asked my salesman to tell the installer to do all the work by hand, which he did. I was impressed that the installer used a power tool to wire brush and clean each wheel hub. The salesman told me that all their installers are trained to do this because it better matches the two surfaces and reduces vibration that, over time, could cause a lug nut to loosen and result in a wheel coming loose and falling off. Discount Tire had that happen in the past, and took this step to prevent it from recurring.

Job done, including TPMS rebuild kits for each wheel. When I left, I expected the TPMS warning light to come on since I thought the system had to relearn the position of each wheel transmitter. The light did not come on, so I guess the installer kept each transmitter with the same wheel in which it was originally installed.

My initial impressions: During my short drive home in light rain, I couldn't tell much difference from my previous Dunlop Sport Maxx GT tires. Mostly city driving with a short stretch on the interstate up to 75mph. Smooth, no vibrations, tracked straight. Unable at this time to evaluate turn in, stopping distance, and initial bite when accelerating from a dead stop. Because my previous Dunlops were down to 4/32, initial bite sucked and traction control would always cut in. I expect the new Continentals to be much better, but they're new... And comparing the Dunlops (Max Performance Summer ) to the Continentals (Ultra High Performance All-Season) is comparing apples to oranges.

Stay tuned for more driving impressions.

retriever-007 (01-11-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 08:15 PM

Stuart S: I'll look forward to getting additional impressions of your driving experience and tire wear with the new Continentals.
Oh, did you try getting the Continentals from your Jaguar dealer, and if they would have matched the Discount and Tire Rack price? Thanks.

Old 01-12-2016, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by retriever-007
Stuart S: I'll look forward to getting additional impressions of your driving experience and tire wear with the new Continentals.
Oh, did you try getting the Continentals from your Jaguar dealer, and if they would have matched the Discount and Tire Rack price? Thanks.
I'm sure my Jaguar dealer would have matched the price, but the Discount Tire store is much closer and more convenient for me to use. Plus, I doubt that my Jaguar dealer offers anything like Discount Tire's warranty, which is in addition to the Continental warranty.

Because of my prior unfortunate experiences with low profile tires and potholes, I decided to buy Discount Tire's warranty - they call it a "Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement" - for $127.50 for all 4 tires for 3 years. The price varies with the tire. That total cost is about half the cost of 1 tire, and I think it's worth it because it's not prorated for treadwear or mileage, and with staggered fitment I'll be lucky if they last as long as 3 years. Sure, it's a gamble, but odds are that I'll damage at least one tire beyond repair in the next 3 years. Here's the details: Tire Warranty: Certificate for Tire Replacement, Refund or Repair | Discount Tire

Checked the tire pressures this morning when cold with a digital gauge and all 4 were slightly off, so I trimmed them all up to 33 lbs, 1 more than recommended on the door jamb sticker. Will check again in a week to make sure there are no slow leaks. No problems driving around town sub-freezing weather, but I didn't expect any since they're an all-season compound. Seem to be quiet with a comfortable ride, but I haven't been on any bad roads yet.

Stay tuned...

Old 01-12-2016, 04:21 PM

Stuart S: thanks much for the feedback. Have never seen a warranty program like this from Discount Tire and I may have to give very serious consideration to this when I'm ready to get a set of Continental tires.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:40 PM

I recently ordered a set of 4 Continental DWS 06 tires (20" staggered) and will update this thread after they're installed. Can you believe the UTQG treadwear rating of 560?

I'll be overjoyed if I get 25,000 miles out of the rear tires.
Being an old fart I can still remember when tires wore out in ~ 10,000 miles. Today's tire technology is amazing.

However, UTOG treadwear ratings are rather meaningless except perhaps comparing rating of tires of a given manufacturer.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by johndahlheimer
Being an old fart I can still remember when tires wore out in ~ 10,000 miles....
What goes around comes around. Many of today's low profile UHP Summer tires with directional treads on staggered wheels are lucky to get 10,000 miles, particularly the rears. It doesn't take many burnouts...

Old 01-13-2016, 09:06 PM

What goes around comes around. Many of today's low profile UHP Summer tires with directional treads on staggered wheels are lucky to get 10,000 miles, particularly the rears. It doesn't take many burnouts...
How true. And what many don't recognize is how dangerous these UHP Summer tires are at temperatures below 45 degrees F. Even here in North Carolina, temperatures in the next week will seldom exceed 45 degrees F., and Summer tires will provide very poor traction for acceleration, braking and cornering, and also provide a noticeably stiffer ride once their rubber compound becomes rock hard.

That is why I have all season tires on all three of my cars, including my Corvette. I'm not about to change tires every Fall and Spring to gain the ultimate grip year around. Plus, as you point out UHP Summer tires can wear out in less than 10,000 miles, and their replacement costs can easily way exceed one's gasoline costs per mile.

This is the problem when people make auto purchasing choices based on auto enthusiast magazine reviews, which exaggerate ultimate performance importance and ignore how these same cars are really dangerous in wet and cool conditions, plus how they will send you to the poorhouse replacing their very expensive soft tires having very poor wear resistance.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 01-13-2016 at 09:13 PM.
retriever-007 (01-13-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

John,

Exactly why I chose to buy UHP all-season tires for my XJ, to replace the UHP Summer Dunlop Sport Maxx GT tires that were on it when I bought it CPO. Since I don't drive my XKR in the winter (except on really nice days, it wears UHP Summer tires.

New lug nuts from Amazon should arrive today. Stay tuned.

Stuart

Old 01-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Default Lug Nuts 101 - From My Amazon Review

Some of the following is from my review on Amazon that I posted today.

I've read horror stories on this Forum about problems with the OEM Jaguar 2-piece lug nuts, so I decided to replace mine with 1-piece aftermarket lug nuts. After considerable research, I concluded that Gorilla was the best brand and found this set on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 91733 Acorn Bulge Chrome Lug Nut and Lock System (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size): Automotive Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 91733 Acorn Bulge Chrome Lug Nut and Lock System (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size): Automotive
I ordered 2 sets and they were delivered yesterday.

I bought them because they were inexpensive at only $29.52 delivered for a full set including locks for all 4 wheels and, most importantly, the Amazon website said they fit both my 2009 XKR and 2013 XJ. In all fairness to Amazon, that website also states: "The information provided is ONLY a guide. To insure proper lug nut, lug bolt or wheel lock selection, refer to your current lug nut to determine correct lug nut style and thread size for your vehicle." I don't remember if that disclaimer was there when I placed my order but, if it was, I probably didn't read it.

When I started this quest, I knew almost nothing about lug nuts. Now, after much research, I realize that they come in all sorts of sizes, shapes, lengths, and styles, open end and closed end, right hand and left hand thread, 3 types of seats, and more. The type of seat is very important, because that's where the compatibility of the lug nut with the wheel comes into play. Wrong lug nut and the mounting hole gets chewed up and your wheel is toast. Just because the lug nut is the right thread, doesn't mean it's the right nut. Using the wrong lug nut is unsafe.

So... the first thing you should do if you're thinking about buying new lug nuts from Amazon is to remove one old lug nut from your car and compare it to the pictures on Amazon. If I had done so, I wouldn't be writing this review. Fortunately, returns are easy and free on Amazon.

These Gorilla Automotive 91733 Acorn Bulge Chrome Lug Nuts are high quality and I would give them 5 stars, except for the fact that the seat is incorrect for my cars. Amazon's website says it fits my late model Jaguars, but Amazon is wrong; it is not the proper lug nut for OEM Jaguar wheels. This lug nut has an "acorn seat" with no washers; the OEM lug nuts have built-in washers and are called "flat" or "mag seat". See the attached photos, in particular the one that shows the differences between seat types - (1) Acorn, also called Conical or Tapered; (2)/Mag, also called Flat; and (3) Ball, also called Radius.

One other thing - be sure to keep one set of OEM lug nuts and the OEM socket wrench and tools in your car, since you might need them for your spare wheel/tire in case you get a flat. New aftermarket lug nuts might not work with your spare.

Compare the OEM lug nut (the larger one, with the washer) to the Gorilla 91733 lug nut - not even close.

After removing one OEM lug nut and reinstalling it using the factory supplied tools and my torque wrench (92 ft.-lbs.), I concluded that it's not worth buying one piece Gorilla lug nuts. All of my OEM lug nuts are in good shape because I never let a wheel tech use an impact wrench to remove or reinstall those lug nuts; hand tools only. I suspect that the primary cause of damage to OEM lug nuts is the use of impact wrenches.

Nevertheless, if you want to replace your OEM 2-piece Jaguar lug nuts with the correct 1-piece lug nuts, Gorilla makes a set that appears to be very similar to the OEM lug nuts with washers (mag seat) specifically for OEM Jaguar wheels, namely, Gorilla Part Number 73138J. Amazon doesn't carry it, but I found it on eBay for a set of 20 for under $100: 20 Gorilla Jaguar 12x1 5 OE Stock Factory Wheels Rims Mag Lug Nuts Chrome | eBay

If this was helpful, please press at the bottom right.

Stuart

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart S:
ag986 (06-29-2016), JamesTX (01-23-2016), Panthro (01-20-2016), retriever-007 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 09:50 PM

Stuart S: really appreciate this information and thanks much for your research on this.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

There is more to replacing the OEM lug nuts than just getting the
right style and thread. That's the easy part.

The critical part is the shank length and diameter.

Both of these are what determine a correct fitment.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
retriever-007 (01-17-2016), Stuart S (01-17-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
There is more to replacing the OEM lug nuts than just getting the
right style and thread. That's the easy part.

The critical part is the shank length and diameter.

Both of these are what determine a correct fitment.
Absolutely right! Always best to line up the new with the old to compare them and make sure that they're identical.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Default More Driving Impressions - In The Wet

Since it was cold (low 30's) and rainy today (with a bit of sleet), I thought I'd write a short follow-up since I drove on both city streets and highways (70mph). In a word - uneventful; no noticeable loss of grip, hydroplaning, or problems braking. And no wheelspin or traction control light when accelerating briskly from a dead stop on wet roads, although I really didn't push it. Very pleased so far...

I doubt that my previous Dunlop Sport Maxx GT UHP Summer tires would have fared as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Panthro (02-01-2016), retriever-007 (01-25-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

Anyone had any negative experiences with the Continental DWS tires? I only ask as I helped out a fellow member here last night as he had a bad wobble in his steering wheel on his XF (not XJ). We swapped my XJ tires on to his car just to eliminate potential areas where the wobble would come from. In our adventures, we found out that the tire that was on his right front was not exactly round. If you spun the tire by hand, you could see the tread rise and fall. These were brand new tires put on just before he bought the car a month ago (they are the 255/35R20 size on all 4 wheels). He also reports that he has noticeable flat spotting of the tires when parking the car overnight. It takes a few miles for the tires to finally round back out. The dealership he has been dealing with says "this is normal". I can't say that I have noticed that with the PNero tires that are on my car. He also commented that the wobble in the steering wheel was much worse (shaking up to 1" back and forth) when the tire pressures were down around 32 PSI and got significantly better when raised up to 38 psi (but still wobbled about 1/4" back and forth at 60 mph).

I see a lot of you are having a good experience with these tires, but hearing his horror story makes me think twice about the tires. I am coming due for tires (nearing 20K miles on the current set) and am starting to look at my options.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Sounds like whoever mounted his tires was not very conscientious and that the tires need to be checked for run-out and road force. My tire dealer uses a Hunter machine that does both and we always find at least one tire that needs to be rotated on the rim during initial installation so it will run round and balanced. In fact, most of the time I find that re-balancing during the life of the tire is not needed if done right the first time. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
I can't say that I have noticed that with the PNero tires that are on my car. He also commented that the wobble in the steering wheel was much worse (shaking up to 1" back and forth) when the tire pressures were down around 32 PSI and got significantly better when raised up to 38 psi (but still wobbled about 1/4" back and forth at 60 mph).
The problem tire may be closer to round when pumped up.

In any case, with the visible wobble when spun the wheel
and mounting need to be checked out. Hate to say it,
but probably on a Hunter GPS.

How are you finding the PZero Nero thus far? Are they the
all season version? There is a new set from last year's
production close by at closeout pricing.

Quick Reply: Continental DWS 06