XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Continental DWS 06

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,887 Likes on 3,194 Posts

plums, I don't have a problem with them. I am coming up on 20K miles with them and they are nearing time to be replaced. Probably get another 2K miles out of them only due to 1 tire having a slight extra bit of wear on the inside edge (right front). The braking with them meets all that I need from the brakes. The biggest "problem" I can say is that I find that under hard acceleration they do tend to break loose easier than I would expect from a 275 tire on dry asphalt. But, that may also be from the fact that I am used to driving cars where breaking the tires loose is very hard to do. This car definitely has lots more power than my previous vehicles.

Oh, and yes, they are the all season versions. If you can get them for a good price, get them. A lot of people like the tire (on other makes of cars), I am just going off of what people have said here and was going to try the Continentals. See how the two compare.

I may have to see what shops in my area have a Road Force balancing machine and make sure I get my tires mounted that way. Living in Hickville USA, probably not going to find one local. So, may need to make a trip up to DC to get the new tires.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
plums, I don't have a problem with them. I am coming up on 20K miles with them and they are nearing time to be replaced. Probably get another 2K miles out of them only due to 1 tire having a slight extra bit of wear on the inside edge (right front). The braking with them meets all that I need from the brakes. The biggest "problem" I can say is that I find that under hard acceleration they do tend to break loose easier than I would expect from a 275 tire on dry asphalt. But, that may also be from the fact that I am used to driving cars where breaking the tires loose is very hard to do. This car definitely has lots more power than my previous vehicles.

Oh, and yes, they are the all season versions. If you can get them for a good price, get them. A lot of people like the tire (on other makes of cars), I am just going off of what people have said here and was going to try the Continentals. See how the two compare.

I may have to see what shops in my area have a Road Force balancing machine and make sure I get my tires mounted that way. Living in Hickville USA, probably not going to find one local. So, may need to make a trip up to DC to get the new tires.
Thanks for your answer. It's always better to hear
from a trusted source.

How is the ride and noise on the highway?

You see, the hesitation comes from reading reviews
at tirerack where the Continental DWS and DWS 06
receive almost all positive reviews whereas the Nero AWS
receives mixed reviews. The one exception seems to be
complaints about the DWS blowing out sidewalls(bulges).
They are reported to have thin sidewalls to gain that
soft ride.

The set of new Nero's is literally half the cost of the DWS.
One set, so I guess they want to dump them.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

PLums, let me double check exactly what I have. The road noise is well within what I would call acceptable. I can't say that I have ever heard the tires. Granted, I am also used to a full size truck with 37" mud tires too. So, even a Sherman tank might be quieter. LMAO. Ride wise, what I would expect from a car like this. I tend to keep the tires up near 38 psi for a firmer feel. So, I am also taking that into account. But, this car rides tons better than the wife's Ford Fusion.

I would say that if you have the chance to pick up the Nero's at a great price, you will not be upset.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, please double check that they are the All Season. The Nero also
come as a summer tire.

Mud tires? Well, mine came with month old Toyo Open Country G02's.

That's a full winter tire targetted to SUV's. Huge disappointment because
my previous Toyo's were rock hard and noisy after a while.

Traction was great, but there's always this niggling thought about the
famed wafting experience.

Guess I will invest some time at tirerack reading the reviews with a
critical eye. Not all reviewers are objective and experienced.

++

Old 06-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Veteran member

Plums, I just verified. The tires I have are the all seasons PZero Nero's by Pirelli. I am contemplating a full on summer tire, but here in Maryland, we do get below 45F for an extended period of time and I would hate to have to suffer through a few months of summer tires and their lack of performance.

As for my truck tires, they are the TRXUS MT's. I like them. They have given me everything I could have wanted. Granted, I need to get rid of the truck so I can get another toy. What that next toy is, hard to say. Got a few ideas, not sure which one Iam going to go with. Right now it seems to be either a Polaris Slingshot or getting a classic car like either a Jaguar 420 or a 70 Charger/Challenger. We will see.

The following users liked this post:
plums (06-20-2016)
Old 06-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the assist.

If the set was Pirelli Sotto Zero 240's I would pick
them up in a heartbeat. Those have universally good
reviews.

Good luck with the 70 Charger/Challenger. Two of the
cleanest body lines seen on any vehicle and the 70's
were the best year. RT models?

The 340 Challenger sounded great.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

Plums, I would end up with a 9.0L V10 under the hood of the Charger/Challenger if I was to do one. It would also have to be supercharged. What can I say, I want a real sleeper. Keep the hood flat and stick some really wide tires on the back. PUll those front tires off of the ground just for effect.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Now that my problem is fixed it's time for me to chime in.

Thermo, thanks again for your help with swapping the wheels. That tire was replaced with another Continental DWS 06 and it rides great now.

It's sad that a couple of guys in a driveway can better diagnose an issue than two JLR dealers. The selling dealer was very good at getting me a new tire though. I talked to them last Monday and the service manager said "I'm sorry there's a problem with the tire and of course there is a warranty, we'll send a tire out to you today". He called back when there wasn't one in stock but they sent one out the next day. Wednesday I had it in hand along with a return shipping label. The tire was replaced and road force balanced this weekend and I can report the vibration is finally gone.

As for flat spotting, I got varying degrees when I played with the tire pressures looking to reduce my vibration. The door sticker calls for 38psi front and rear for my 255/35/20s on my 2013 XF AWD. I went as low as 34psi F/R which made it feel like I had flat tires every morning (true to the name). At 36 psi it is noticeable but not incredibly annoying. I'm going to try bumping it back up to 38psi this weekend.

Btw, Thermo , Big Ed's Tire Shop in Leonardtown (right next to Leonardtown High School) does road force balance. I've used them before and was happy. They also have the fancy laser alignment setup.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

BlckCat, thanks for letting me know. Maybe the Hunter machines are more common than I think. After vacation, I have a feeling that some tires will be coming my way and will have to see where I can get them mounted.