XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Coolant Leak Help Identifying Part

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 04:25 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Help Identifying Part

Coolant leak help identifying part I have a leak from between this metal piece that has coolant pipes connected to it maybe I should try tightening the 2 screws?

Old 01-28-2024, 02:40 AM
Received 171 Likes on 145 Posts

It looks like gasket or RTV have softened up a bit on that part where it leaks but not a major leak. IMHO, tightening the 2 bolts would not solve the problem. Just keep an eye on it, it might stop to leak as water/coolant hardened overtime on the mating area where the gap is .

Last edited by 2018XF25T; 01-28-2024 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:55 AM
Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

That's the thermostat/housing - part number C2Z19929.
It's a reasonably easy & inexpensive part to replace with a genuine JLR or aftermarket part.
Item #22 here:
Radiator & Components for 2012 Jaguar XJ | Jaguar Virginia Beach
And Rock Auto has a couple of good aftermarket parts for cheaper.
This isn't likely the only cooling system part that's on the brink, but it isn't one of several that'll destroy your entire engine when they do go.
I suggest you search the forum for existing posts related to the cooling system.
If you wait for other cooling parts to fail, you're going to be looking for a new car, and the one you have won't be drivable or worth trading in.

The following 3 users liked this post by 12jagmark:
JaguarXJL15 (01-29-2024), KiwiJon (02-02-2024), QP7 (01-28-2024)
Old 01-29-2024, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,422 Likes on 1,906 Posts

Follow up on what 12jagmark said. Your just seeing the tip of the iceberg.
Plan to replace all the plastic cooling pipes. We now have a number of them in lifetime Aluminum and many, many threads about them and the install.

Old 01-29-2024, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Follow up on what 12jagmark said. Your just seeing the tip of the iceberg.
Plan to replace all the plastic cooling pipes. We now have a number of them in lifetime Aluminum and many, many threads about them and the install.
are these all the parts that should be replaced?

Old 01-29-2024, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 12jagmark
It's a reasonably easy & inexpensive part to replace with a genuine JLR or aftermarket part.
Item #22 here:
This isn't likely the only cooling system part that's on the brink, but it isn't one of several that'll destroy your entire engine when they do go.
I suggest you search the forum for existing posts related to the cooling system.
If you wait for other cooling parts to fail, you're going to be looking for a new car, and the one you have won't be drivable or worth trading in.

Not sure if I should go with aftermarket MotoRad 766-203: Thermostat $67.00 or OEM from the dealer $163.00
The aftermarket part is made of plastic and OEM is metal

Old 02-02-2024, 11:36 AM

Item #22 here:
Decided to go with OEM from the dealer with this one thanks

Old 02-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Old 02-07-2024, 04:33 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by JaguarXJL15

Replacing thermostat is not easy the coolant hoses connected to the thermosets are pretty much glued even after removing the metal clips
The hoses are connected to the top and bottom so you have no where to pull very difficult
The bottom hose coming the radiator with the metal piece that pulls out will not move at all no matter how much I pulled

Old 02-08-2024, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

You can't just pull the hoses off. As posted above they are bonded to the metal because of the hot/cold cycles they experience. So you need to break this seal before the hose can be removed. I have several types of tools to do this.

Here are the basic ones;

The problem will be access to the edge of the hose. So one tool won't work in all cases.

Here is a nice small tool so easy to get at the hose edges.

The problem with both of the above style tools is they have sharp ends. So if your not careful you will break the seal between the rubber and the metal BUT it's just way too easy to also poke a hole in your hose! The last work I did on my AC I had just this problem and I had to buy a $85 hose after I poked a hole in it trying to get it off.

I just picked up these two and note they have a spoon shaped end instead of a sharp point. This helps avoid damaging the rubber hose.

For me it's always lack of access and I do bend and modify the tools if needed. They are about $15-$20 a set so not too expensive.

The following 2 users liked this post by clubairth1:
rothwell (02-08-2024), wombat (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 05:17 PM

Where should I open the hoses arrow 1 or 2 for the top hose , arrow 1 or 2 for the bottom hose I think I will open the bottom hose from the rubber radiator hose because the two plastic pieces are very hard to pull apart like in the video

Old 02-09-2024, 10:40 AM

The top two photos are conventional hose clamps that you open with a pair of pliers. They are made so that they can hold themselves in the open position for easier movement. With them open you slide them away from the end so that you can slide the hose off of the flange, but they'll still take a little effort. There is a special hose clamp tool for these and I have one, but honestly a pair of pliers usually works as well depending on how tight the space is around the clamp.
The other two pics show hoses with the Quick Disconnect fittings that you only have to pull the metal bail/clasp back to it's outer position with a small screwdriver under that portion that allows access to pull it up from; to release it from the locked position, then you can pull the end piece off of what it's attached to - thermostat, water pump flange, whatever it is. You don't need to release the hose from that QD fitting on the end of the hose, it's one part.
Which ever type of hose will always take a bit of effort, often knuckle-scrapping effort - to release it from where it's attached. Sometimes I use a small flat-blade screwdriver to get under or in between the two parts that need to be separated to help; of course taking care not to gouge or damage the plastic/metal.
And when attaching a hose with a QD it might help to lube the O-ring or fitting with a (very) little assembly lube, and if so careful NOT to use enough to get into the pipeline. Silicone might not mix well with what ever (coolant especially) that flows through the system and could cause problems if it gets into the fluid.

Last edited by 12jagmark; 02-09-2024 at 10:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JaguarXJL15 (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:46 AM

I bought this tool as well very useful

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 02-14-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:18 PM

Item #22 here:

Where can I order a good quality water pump from Rock Auto has 8 different ones starting at $100 to $200 for the premium they all look the same in the pictures

Old 02-28-2024, 04:28 PM

Rock Auto has a number of good quality suppliers, and I trust many.
That said, I did buy a GMB coolant pump from Rock Auto about 4 years ago, and it lasted a little over 3 years & 30k miles before it began leaking late last year.\
I replaced it with a genuine JLR coolant pump.
I bought the genuine pump on Ebay for under $270 US, worth it to me.
This link is for a new one on Ebay for $230.00:

NEW OEM Land Rover LR4 Sport Range Rover Jaguar 3.0/5.0L SC WATER PUMP LR097165 | eBay

And there are others for reasonable prices below $300 too.
This was on my 2012 Range Rover - twin to my wife's 2012 XJ.

Last edited by 12jagmark; 02-28-2024 at 04:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JaguarXJL15 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

Rock Auto has a number of good quality suppliers, and I trust many.
That said, I did buy a GMB coolant pump from Rock Auto about 4 years ago, and it lasted a little over 3 years & 30k miles before it began leaking late last year.\
I replaced it with a genuine JLR coolant pump.
I bought the genuine pump on Ebay for under $270 US, worth it to me.
This link is for a new one on Ebay for $230.00:

NEW OEM Land Rover LR4 Sport Range Rover Jaguar 3.0/5.0L SC WATER PUMP LR097165 | eBay

And there are others for reasonable prices below $300 too.
This was on my 2012 Range Rover - twin to my wife's 2012 XJ.
Is that the latest version? From what I read, they had a bunch of revisions.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member

Yes about 5 versions I think?
The current JLR water pump with the part number ending in 3909 is the latest from Jaguar. You do bring up a good point because there is always a corresponding LR part too.
If you look at 12jagmark's link it shows that LR097165 interchanges with the JLR AJ813909. If you look at the pictures you can see on the back that it's made in Italy and that does match what I have seen for the latest water pump.

BUT I don't know how to tell if they are the same part or not? I don't know the history of the LR water pump part numbers.
But it does look like the latest version.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Yes about 5 versions I think?
The current JLR water pump with the part number ending in 3909 is the latest from Jaguar. You do bring up a good point because there is always a corresponding LR part too.
If you look at 12jagmark's link it shows that LR097165 interchanges with the JLR AJ813909. If you look at the pictures you can see on the back that it's made in Italy and that does match what I have seen for the latest water pump.

BUT I don't know how to tell if they are the same part or not? I don't know the history of the LR water pump part numbers.
But it does look like the latest version.
The water pumps I can find on Ebay are LR097165 not sure where you get AJ813909 from only difference I can see is some have black gasket and some of orange gasket all made in Italy

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 03-05-2024 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by JaguarXJL15
All the water pumps I could find on Ebay are LR097165 not sure where you get AJ813909 from only difference I can see is some have black gasket and some of orange gasket all made in Italy
You're seeing the difference between the Land Rover part number (the LR... number) and the Jaguar part number (AJ...).
Although JLR uses the same parts on Jaguar and Land Rover, they do have their own brand-specific part numbers.
If you do a little research or read (most) descriptions, they often include both part numbers to accommodate people looking for either the Jaguar or Land Rover part number.
Which ever PN you buy, the pump is the same including both Land Rover & Jaguar markings on the same part.
You do understand that Jaguar and Land Rover are under the same parent company, correct?

Old 03-05-2024, 09:45 AM

You're seeing the difference between the Land Rover part number (the LR... number) and the Jaguar part number (AJ...).
Although JLR uses the same parts on Jaguar and Land Rover, they do have their own brand-specific part numbers.
If you do a little research or read (most) descriptions, they often include both part numbers to accommodate people looking for either the Jaguar or Land Rover part number.
Which ever PN you buy, the pump is the same including both Land Rover & Jaguar markings on the same part.
You do understand that Jaguar and Land Rover are under the same parent company, correct?
Yes of course one more question where did you buy your metal coolant pipes from? some eBay sellers are asking alot more money then others I wonder if there is a difference in quality

I am looking for this set

Last edited by JaguarXJL15; 03-05-2024 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Help Identifying Part