XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Cooling fan occasionally not coming on

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020 | 06:04 PM
|
Default Cooling fan occasionally not coming on

First-time poster here. I've got a 2011 XJL with almost 69,000 miles on it in the shop now. A few days ago when driving through the city the AC fan started to blow air weakly for 10 seconds, and then blow lots of air for 10 seconds back and forth. After about 10 minutes the air started blowing strong again but it got hot and then the engine started overheating. I thought it was the radiator fan not kicking on and was right because sure enough when I got on the freeway and up to speed the ac was able to kick on cold and strong and the engine temps quickly stabilized. At the dealership, the mechanic worked on my car for the previous owner and claims it happened a couple of times for them as well and then went away. They replaced the relays this time as it was only $20 dollars and might be the fix, as they can't seem to replicate the problem again. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this and might know if there is a better way I can address this if it happens again. Having it come and go at random leaves me uneasy. Thanks!

Old 08-27-2020 | 10:30 AM

I had a similar experience with my ‘11 XJ at ~105k miles. I noticed the same problems you describe. The day before it was scheduled to be in the shop for analysis, the problem returned while sitting in traffic, followed by a major coolant leak, steam, etc. Fortunately, I was able to pull off to the side of the road before I lost virtually all of the coolant. The repair entailed a new water pump, hoses, and a fair amount of expense. The problem was speculated to be a failing water pump. However, two weeks later, I again noticed poor A/C output. A check of the cooling fan confirmed that it would operate intermittently, or not at all, while hot at idle. I purchased a used fan assembly for $450 and had it installed. I have not had the issue recur in the six months and many hot days since the repair.

Dan

Old 08-28-2020 | 01:17 PM
Default Compressor

Originally Posted by cogrient
First-time poster here. I've got a 2011 XJL with almost 69,000 miles on it in the shop now. A few days ago when driving through the city the AC fan started to blow air weakly for 10 seconds, and then blow lots of air for 10 seconds back and forth. After about 10 minutes the air started blowing strong again but it got hot and then the engine started overheating. I thought it was the radiator fan not kicking on and was right because sure enough when I got on the freeway and up to speed the ac was able to kick on cold and strong and the engine temps quickly stabilized. At the dealership, the mechanic worked on my car for the previous owner and claims it happened a couple of times for them as well and then went away. They replaced the relays this time as it was only $20 dollars and might be the fix, as they can't seem to replicate the problem again. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this and might know if there is a better way I can address this if it happens again. Having it come and go at random leaves me uneasy. Thanks!
compressor this happens to my xjl 2013. Suddenly I get hot blowing out from ac when idle then I checked the compressor and then realize that the compressor is damaged. After that I bought a new one and change it myself. New Nissens A/C Compressor Jaguar XF XJ XJR XKR,Land Rover LR4 890123 and C2D38105. If you need images please let me know. Thank you. RY. Please excuse my bad English

Old 09-01-2020 | 04:53 PM
|

Thank you both for the input. The relays were replaced and because they couldn't replicate the problem, I went on my way. I have not had the problem repeat again yet, and there have been some hot days. I was quoted around 1200 for the cooling fan from the dealership, so I would look elsewhere for the part if at all possible. Should it happen again I will try and drive directly to the dealership so they can identify the problem without turning the car off. If it does happen, I will post an update as to what it was. I hope that if it does happen it is the cooling fan and not something with the computer. While I haven't had it fail to kick on at low speeds, I have noticed that as I drive into the city and slow down, often the ac will take a minute to kick up the airflow, so there may some hang-up causing the delay.

Old 07-21-2022 | 07:33 AM
Default Similar issue

Have a series of problems with this XJL 2011 - first A/C starts blowing hot air, car shows overheating and coolant seen coming out of the hose connection of the coolant tank. The connection from the tank to the hose on the side was leaking. Replaced with new tank. A few days later, the fan would not kick in first stage engine heats to 105 then second stage kicks in of the fan... shows that error when brought to the mechanic. Installed new fan assembly. Works but occasionally if the car is stopped for a short time, then started again, the fan will not start and the A/C disconnects.... if driven for some time at 50km/h plus - then kicks in again... Will be taking it to the mechanic again...

Old 07-21-2022 | 08:41 AM

I don't believe the cooling fan should be running constantly, only when needed, and when the AC is running (when it's working correctly at least).
Mechanical fans driven from the belt drive do of course, but an advantage of electric fans is that they can run only when needed.
So if it isn't running when it should be, could be the thermostat that controls it.
From the description you've given, it sounds like it's running when the temp gets warmer, at least from one of the thermostats that are used to control it.
If there is another thermostat that should detect a condition that would turn it on but isn't, it may be that that thermostat is bad/disconnected.

The following users liked this post:
isavov (07-21-2022)
Old 08-02-2022 | 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by isavov
Have a series of problems with this XJL 2011 - first A/C starts blowing hot air, car shows overheating and coolant seen coming out of the hose connection of the coolant tank. The connection from the tank to the hose on the side was leaking. Replaced with new tank. A few days later, the fan would not kick in first stage engine heats to 105 then second stage kicks in of the fan... shows that error when brought to the mechanic. Installed new fan assembly. Works but occasionally if the car is stopped for a short time, then started again, the fan will not start and the A/C disconnects.... if driven for some time at 50km/h plus - then kicks in again... Will be taking it to the mechanic again...
Took to the mechanic - no error codes displayed. However, the problem continues occasionally. If car is stopped and restarted with warm engine in 5-10 minutes, the A/C does not cool and the fan is not running. No high engine temp displayed. Driven for some time, the A/C would come back, possibly after fan has turned on, but sometimes it can take 20 min to happen. Other times all normal. Very inconvenient especially on hot days, also worried if fan does not start at all can lead to engine overheating...