XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Cost Of A New 2016

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 498 Likes on 297 Posts
Default Cost Of A New 2016

Some of you might have been following my saga of how my 2012 XJ-L got rear-ended, a few weeks back. My local Jag dealer doesn't have a "Jaguar Certified" aluminum repair facility, so they sent it out, from the Rochester, NY area, to a top-shelf shop outside of Boston, MA.

I was preparing for the worst, and browsing the various Jag dealer's inventories, for a replacement, in case my car is totaled (which it now appears that it may be). In looking, I extended my search out as far west as the Chicago area, and what I found was rather surprising. One (or maybe two, I don't remember at the moment) dealers had one or two XJ-Ls on their website, listed as brand new, and at some ridiculously low price. Low, like under $70,000.

Anybody know if this is legitimate? Could these cars be "buy-backs" of some sort??

Old 08-30-2016, 05:05 PM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

It is legitimate. My local dealer was offering 20k off the MSRP for 2016 XJ(L)s. I suspect that Jag is trying to move them off the lot ASAP before the 2017s arrive.
Btw, my dealership did it last year as well for the 2015s!

Here you go: http://www.jaguarcary.com/limited-time-specials

Last edited by LiquidIce; 08-30-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info!

Based on the information that has been trickling in to me, it looks like my 2012 is going to be totaled, so I'll be looking for a replacement. I'd hate to "back door" my local dealer, by going directly to another dealer, as my local people have treated me like family, for the last 15 years. However, my guys have only 3 XJ-Ls in stock, and I'm not getting a warm, fuzzy feeling for any of them, due to colors and/or equipment levels that I don't care for.

I may have to go shopping on my own, through an out of state dealer, if my local store can't help me out.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 414 Posts

Just spoke to Robert Loyd (cell number 678 575-7031) about this XJ New 2016 Jaguar XJ For Sale | Atlanta GA
that he can take 14k off the price. He thinks transport may be 5 or 6 hundred. This is the last one they have. They are a first class dealer. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJsss
Just spoke to Robert Loyd (cell number 678 575-7031) about this XJ New 2016 Jaguar XJ For Sale | Atlanta GA
that he can take 14k off the price. He thinks transport may be 5 or 6 hundred. This is the last one they have. They are a first class dealer. Good luck.

Thanks for the update, and THAT'S the XJ I saw, and the one I was very interested in!! Unfortunately, I'm hung up by the insurance people.

I called my insurance carrier's claims department shortly before 9AM, eastern time, today, and spoke with someone there. First, they said my car may not be totaled, even though the repair estimate is now $36,000 (when I spoke to the body shop people on Monday, they said the adjuster was talking "total) However, I also decided to call the insurance carrier for the jackass that hit us, and while they told me that they're accepting the claim, as 100% the fault of their customer, they haven't yet received anything from my insurance, and even when they do, they'll "have to review it".....

I'm starting to get POed, as my chances to snag a 2016, at a real deal, may be slipping away. The cars must be going quickly, because when I checked Hennessey's site early this AM, they still were showing 3-4 black XJs.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:14 AM
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Similar to XJsss, I know the folks from my dealership quite well, so let me know if you are interested in any of them (New Jaguar XJ Raleigh NC) and would like for me to speak to the manager.

Happy to help a fellow Jag owner...I have been involved in purchasing 3 cars in the past 4 weeks (1 for the Mrs, 1 for her parents, and 1 for a good buddy), and all of them are telling me I should give up my day job and become a professional car broker, ha-ha.

Don't worry, I'm not giving up my day job just yet and certainly will not charge you any commission ...I will be more than happy to help you out if you are interested. PM me if and when you are ready, and I can give you my contact details.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

A deposit of a $1000.00 would put a hold on the car for a week or 2 i'd think

Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,318 Likes on 3,464 Posts

leadfoot,

Since you haven't closed a deal yet on a replacement XJ, let me suggest that you consider a Certified Pre-Owned XJ.

IMHO, you get the most bang for the buck with a 1-2 year old CPO Jaguar because the first owner ate a huge depreciation hit. My CPO 2013 XJ was a corporate executive lease turn-in after 20 months and 28,000 miles; it cost almost half of the original MSRP. Plus, the factory extended warranty was for 6 years up to 100,000 miles from the original in-service date (takes me to 11/2018) - which was longer than if I had bought a brand new XJ! I wasn't concerned about the high mileage because (1) it was highway mileage; (2) it was leased by and turned into the original dealer who had all the service records - it was maintained by the book, and (3) I drive less than 5K miles per year.

To find "the cream of the crop" of used Jaguars, go to the JaguarUSA website and click on the Certified Pre-Owned link at the top right: Jaguar: Luxury Sedans, Sports Cars & SUVs | Jaguar USA************ That will take you to the Certified Pre-Owned Program page where you can then click the SEARCH INVENTORY link. I would limit my search for a CPO XJ to model years 2013 and up, since 2013 was the first year for the 8-speed transmission, Meridian Sound System, and Intelligent Stop-Start. Search the Jaguar website and you will find lots of CPO black XJL 5.0L cars available throughout the USA. Just make sure you find "the one" in the colors and with the options that you want. You can save lots of $$$ even if you have to pay to have it shipped to Webster, NY. A CPO XJ warranty is honored by any Jaguar dealer.

If your 2012 XJL is not totaled, don't forget to file a claim for diminished value against Allstate, the other driver's insurance company. See your other thread, my posts ##6 and 11: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...licted-168192/

I hope everything works out for you to your satisfaction.

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
Wolfy (09-01-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member

Well, here's where I stand with the 2012.....

Due to the differences in time zones across the US, and the various locations of State Farm Insurance's service centers, I got a call around 6PM, EST, last evening, from one of their customer service reps. Due to the scope of the damage, and expense of repairs, they're declaring our car a total loss.

I had received an initial estimate of $18,500 in damage, and after the car eventually was transported to the shop where the repairs were to have been made, they further dissected the car, and found another $18,500 in damage. I spoke to several State Farm reps yesterday, in short order, and I had a little trouble keeping up with all of the details that they were hitting me with. However, if I heard one of them correctly, they met with the body shop people one more time, on Tuesday afternoon, and came to the conclusion that there was even a little more damage, that wasn't previously seen, and that's what put it unquestionably "over the top", and non repairable. In other words, the damage had exceeded $40,000. Looking at the car, yes, it was obviously wounded, but never in my wildest dreams, would I have thought that it was THAT bad!!

I'm finding it a VERY bittersweet situation, as we really loved that car, and were heartsick when it got hit. However, as the extent of the damage became known, there was no way we wanted it back, no matter how good a job the body shop did.

So, I'll have a paperwork package to go through, which should arrive next Tuesday at my insurance agent's office, and the settlement check will be a part of it. At that point we can go looking for a replacement car, and hopefully put this whole unfortunate incident behind us. It didn't help, that my wife is dealing with some "extended family issues" at this time. She's been in a bit of a funk, lately, and the car crash made it worse, to the point that she's thinking that a different colored car will change things. (???!!!) I've been driving black cars since the 70s!

EDIT!!!!

I almost forgot......I spoke with my local dealer about the "door buster specials" that one of the Midwestern dealers was advertising on their website. He told me that while the deals were indeed "legit", that there was some sort of deal where there cars were put into a "loaner pool", and listed as sold, which opened the door for the dealer to obtain a couple of "corporate bonuses". The cars may indeed have "zero miles", but their warrantees went into effect earlier this year...........

Last edited by leadfoot4; 09-01-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Has State Farm or Allstate told you what the proposed amount will be that they offer you and have you also asked them to include the 8% local tax you are entitled to.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
She's been in a bit of a funk, lately, and the car crash made it worse, to the point that she's thinking that a different colored car will change things. (???!!!) I've been driving black cars since the 70s!
Well, many superstitious people consider black cats bad luck. So psychologically changing the color might put her at ease. I personally dislike black cars because they're hard to keep clean and they get very hot in So Cal summer (which is about 11 months a year )

I hear that, with the new XE, F-Type & F-Pace, the big XJ's sales are way down, hence the low prices. Americans love their compacts and crossovers. The big sedans' days are numbered.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Has State Farm or Allstate told you what the proposed amount will be that they offer you and have you also asked them to include the 8% local tax you are entitled to.
Yes, they're giving me $44,498 for the car, and $3559.00 for the sales tax, making the total payment a hair over $48,000. I guess the amount is fairly reasonable, as I see the different evaluation sites like KBB, Edmunds, and NADA don't agree among themselves, and I've seen dealer prices all over the map, too. I've seen dealer asking prices as low as $32,000 and as high as $49,000. Of course, I would have liked to have seen a couple grand more, but I'm not in that strong of a bargaining position, as I can't drag someone to the body shop, to argue the car's former pristine condition, as it's 320 miles away from me......However, I should have the funds on Tuesday or Wednesday, so we can then move forward and put this ordeal behind us.

Anyway, my wife wanted to go to the mall today, as her birthday is this weekend, Lord&Taylor sent her a bunch of coupons, and she hates to let a good coupon go to waste, She wanted to get something to cheer herself up. So, after finding a new dress for herself (and a new sport shirt for me), she wanted to take a detour past the Jaguar dealer, on our way home, just to look at different color combinations.

Our local dealer has just a few 2106s on hand, and she sort of liked a white one that was there, although we would have preferred either the cashew or London tan interiors, and this one had the oyster interior. Secondly, because we weren't exactly planning or budgeting for a new car at this point in time, we need to be somewhat cost conscious. This particular car has a few options, as well as being an AWD, so the price is somewhat high.

But wait, there's more!!

Last evening, I was doing some searching on my own, and stumbled on a RWD, ultimate black XJ-L, with the London tan interior, at a dealer only 220 miles away, in Albany, NY. Despite all of the searching that I had done several days ago, I somehow missed this one. I didn't initially mention this one to her, as I knew that she was leaning toward a white car. The options on this black one are minimal, so the cost is fairly low, for a Jag, that is. Maybe it's a good omen! My local dealer is checking to see if they can either do a dealer trade, or just an outright transfer. While we were there, my dealer also located a white, with London tan, RWDer, but it was in Florida. Although I've had nothing but black cars since the late 70s, I could have lived with this color combination. My dealer said that he would get it shipped here, if that's the car we wanted, but the cost is rather prohibitive.

Having said all that, I think there's a strong possibility we're going to get the black one....

Old 09-01-2016, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

That is a good value for your 2012 that you could not have gotten if you tried to trade or sell.and it appears that you may have found a good XJ to buy, but what kind of deal are they offering and if it is old stock make sure they never placed an in service date. Will they match my dealers offer of 14k off msrp or better?

Old 09-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

That is a good value for your 2012 that you could not have gotten if you tried to trade or sell. and it appears that you may have found a good XJ to buy, but what kind of deal are they offering and if it is old stock make sure they never placed an in service date. Will they match my dealers offer of 14k off msrp or better?

The car we're looking at, is a February 2016 build car, and hasn't been "in service". Although we haven't gotten "hard" numbers, yet, we're in the $13,000 off neighborhood, with no cost for transporting it here.

Old 09-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

leadfoot4, if they are offering 13k off, if it were me, I'd check the build date and options that the XJ my dealer is offering for 14k off. It's as good a deal as your dealer is offering as transport is probably less than 1k. BTW I get nothing off of my dealer selling you an XJ I just know that they are as good as there is. BTW this dealership location is also a RR dealer and Robert Loyd is as forthright a salesperson as you will find. My aim is that you get what you want and are happy.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

leadfoot4, if they are offering 13k off, if it were me, I'd check the build date and options that the XJ my dealer is offering for 14k off. It's as good a deal as your dealer is offering as transport is probably less than 1k. BTW I get nothing off of my dealer selling you an XJ I just know that they are as good as there is. BTW this dealership location is also a RR dealer and Robert Loyd is as forthright a salesperson as you will find. My aim is that you get what you want and are happy.

I appreciate your concerns, however, as I might have previously mentioned, cost is a consideration in this deal, as we weren't on planning on purchasing a new car as this point. We are retired, now, and have to be a little more realistic in what we spend on discretionary items. The car that's at Hennessey Jaguar apparently has an option or two that the one near me doesn't have, as there is a price difference of a couple thousand dollars. Secondly, there would still be the transportation costs, etc, that would have to be factored in. Overall, it would cost me, most likely, around $2000 more to purchase the Jag from Hennessey's, and at this point, it's $2000 that I really don't need to spend. I'm kind of sticking my neck out, by buying ANY kind of brand new, "upper end" car.

Secondly, I've had an EXCELLENT relationship with my local Jaguar dealer for 15 years. They treat me like family, and I consider that important. I wouldn't jeopardize that relationship over saving a few dollars by buying elsewhere. My local guys would have to do something outrageous, in order to get me to go elsewhere, and given our past history, I don't see that ever happening. Furthermore, if I bought a car out of state, I'd still have to get it serviced at my local dealer. That could get VERY awkward.

One thing I don't follow, is your concern with build dates. The car I'm considering, the one in NY, was built in February of this year. The feeling of my dealer, is that given the supposed popularity of AWD in this part of the country, the other dealer mistakenly ordered a RWDer, and for that reason it's been sitting in their inventory for a few months.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:19 AM
Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Leadfoot if you are a member of the Jaguar Clubs of North America and have been for more than 6 months JLR is still offering a $2000 discount at sale for the 2016 XJs. That would solve your problem if I read correctly. Best of luck!

Old 09-02-2016, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

I totally understand leadfoot4 and look forward to hearing that you have successfully replaced your dear departed XJ.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by George Camp
Leadfoot if you are a member of the Jaguar Clubs of North America and have been for more than 6 months JLR is still offering a $2000 discount at sale for the 2016 XJs. That would solve your problem if I read correctly. Best of luck!
I was unaware of this organization, I'll have to look into it! Would this "discount" be in addition to any "factory rebates" that Jaguar is currently mentioning on their website?

Old 09-02-2016, 03:47 PM
Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Leadfoot if you look in your owners manuals there is a card you can send in for more information on the Jaguar Clubs of North America. We are about to celebrate our 60th anniversary and have had a card in every Jaguar since at least 1968. That said the discount comes from JLR and the dealer looses nothing so it is a deal enhancer. You must me a member in good standing for 6 months or longer. Discounts for other models are also available at Jaguar Land Rover Private Offer Program - Welcome

Quick Reply: Cost Of A New 2016